2017 Si w/ 28k miles. Emissions problem, Power Steering problem, Traction Control problem, Hill Assist problem, etc.

N_W_F

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi everyone,
For the past three years I have owned a 2017 Si coupe that was purchased used with 1200 miles. This car has been daily driven approximately 60 miles back and forth to work 4 days a week, gone on multiple road trips, and has been an absolute pleasure to own. The only modification that has been done to this vehicle is an acuity stage 1 shift kit plus the cable bushings. Service has always been done on time by the same certified dealer. In the recent past, it fell victim to the A/C failure that many have experienced, and it was fixed at no cost.

Living in the north east, it has been driven through inclement weather and does not have a spot in the garage at home. Moving forward, no, this car has not been babied its entire time on the road, nor has it had the crap beaten out of it. Quite religiously I have done a 2nd to 3rd gear pull on the on-ramp both to and from work, and cruise on the highway at about 75-85mph. On back roads I have enjoyed some aggressive driving in sport mode, but never pushed it past the point where I or the car felt unsteady besides a little tire chirping. Throughout these fun times I've had with the car, I've accidentally bounced it off the rev limiter a couple times initiating the first stage of a fuel cutoff, missed enough shifts to count on two hands, but never thought I had done anything that could be catastrophically damaging.

Last Thursday after a day of rain, a portion of the highway that I travel on was recently paved and a stream of water was consistently forming across the road, which had my traction control lighting up like crazy! On that same drive home, I floored it in 2nd gear after a stoplight and it spun out the tires to redline. Last Friday night, on my way home from work, after trying as hard as I could to dodge it, I accidentally hit a possum with both left tires resulting in a decent thud both times doing about 35 mph. No problems in the moment, felt bad about it and moved on.

Come Saturday morning when starting up the vehicle, I was greeted with a list of problems such as: Emissions System Problem, Traction Control Problem, Stability Control Problem, Hill Assist Problem, Brake Hold Problem, Power Steering problem, and while it was still idling in the driveway I tried to put it into sport mode and the car would not let me. I have a Verizon Hum tracker on my vehicle that keeps track of my driving and provides diagnostic codes when a problem occurs. The only actual code that I received was p0304 for a cylinder 4 misfire. I did some research and saw that the warranty from Honda was extended to 6 years / unlimited miles, so I arranged to have it towed to the same dealer that has always worked on it to be fixed. Earlier today I got a call from the dealer asking if I had made any attempts to tune my vehicle, in which I responded no and asked about the p0304 code, which he had not even addressed. He said that it was throwing a p0219 code, but could not provide any further information. After doing some research myself, my heart sunk as the code states there was an over rev of the engine which could leave me responsible for any damages if it is true. Further investigating, from what I understand there are certain circumstances in which a p0219 code can be falsely triggered. I'm sure my Verizon hum does not provide nearly as much information as a certified Honda scanner would, but I am shocked that this problem is only coming to light now after years of ownership and consistent service. I understand how this looks, and I am ready to face criticism if necessary. On the Thursday night during the storm, my hum read my average speed for the trip as 1203mph with a top speed of 82mph, and on Friday night said my average speed was 153mph with a top speed of 83mph which is unusual as it normally provides quite accurate information, which leads me to believe something involving the cars computers are going haywire. Do you guys think there is any chance that some sort of electrical component has severely failed which is providing a long list of false readings? The car will be sitting at the dealership until further notice, hopefully some good news can be brought to light.

I want to say thanks to anyone who took the time to read this, and would appreciate any input both constructive or criticizing.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
N_W_F

N_W_F

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry for not posting in the correct section of the forum initially, in my fluster I did not take the time to select the most specific section.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Yeah this sounds like an electrical issue. These dash warnings about system failures seem to pop up when wires become disconnected.

Honda used soy-based wire coating on this car that have been known to attract rodents. Maybe this could be the issue.

OP
OP
N_W_F

N_W_F

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah this sounds like an electrical issue. These dash warnings about system failures seem to pop up when wires become disconnected.

Honda used soy-based wire coating on this car that have been known to attract rodents. Maybe this could be the issue.
Thank you for the information, considering it sits outside 99% of the time it would not surprise me if a rodent treated themselves to a snack on my wires. Maybe the possum took a bite out of something in its last moments, or the resulting thuds knocked something loose. I'm just at a loss of words for the p0219 code and expecting the worst. I hope you enjoy your week.

LJD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Sedan
Country flag
OP

Sounds to me like maybe the BCM got rocked around, maybe check its connections. should be in the dash behind the fuse panel somewhere, also could check the ECM.

But first. try unplugging the + and - and letting it sit for an hour to discharge the computer and then hook it back up and see if it goes away.

OP
OP
N_W_F

N_W_F

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP

Sounds to me like maybe the BCM got rocked around, maybe check its connections. should be in the dash behind the fuse panel somewhere, also could check the ECM.

But first. try unplugging the + and - and letting it sit for an hour to discharge the computer and then hook it back up and see if it goes away.
Unfortunately it is still sitting at the dealership with no updates so far. I had read that could have been a possible fix, but with the misfire code I figured it was a better move to have the dealer look at it. Looking back I wish I had tried before it got stuck in Honda limbo due to the p0219 reading :/

LJD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Sedan
Country flag
Hopefully, whatever it is they fix it and don't tell you "its fine"

Keep us posted.

Dugmore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99' Integra-parked in garage - 08' TL-traded for 17' Civic Si
Country flag
I also had similar situation after a 2nd A/C failure covered under warranty was repaired. I do want to be clear by saying I have Cobra CAI with Race MAF installed with Ktuner v1.2 - TSP stage 1 tune. I did flash back to stock when the A/C work was complete and the oil dilution recall repair was performed at the same time. I picked up my vehicle everything was working fine and no CEL had occurred in the 5 min back roads drive home. The following day after a 10 min highway drive to local hardware store I received a diagnostic notification and assumed the Race MAF was to blame. I would make sure to flash the ECU when I returned home. Once I left the hardware store I again received a diagnostic notification but this time followed by the Emissions problem, Power Steering problem, Traction Control problem, Hill Assist problem, etc. I did flash the ECU once returning home and drove the vehicle once or twice with no incidents. I do expect given the commonality of A/C repairs, and as SDAlexander8 stated electrical connection probably being the issue, I will probably have same repair pending. Good luck with the repair please update if possible.

OP
OP
N_W_F

N_W_F

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also had similar situation after a 2nd A/C failure covered under warranty was repaired. I do want to be clear by saying I have Cobra CAI with Race MAF installed with Ktuner v1.2 - TSP stage 1 tune. I did flash back to stock when the A/C work was complete and the oil dilution recall repair was performed at the same time. I picked up my vehicle everything was working fine and no CEL had occurred in the 5 min back roads drive home. The following day after a 10 min highway drive to local hardware store I received a diagnostic notification and assumed the Race MAF was to blame. I would make sure to flash the ECU when I returned home. Once I left the hardware store I again received a diagnostic notification but this time followed by the Emissions problem, Power Steering problem, Traction Control problem, Hill Assist problem, etc. I did flash the ECU once returning home and drove the vehicle once or twice with no incidents. I do expect given the commonality of A/C repairs, and as SDAlexander8 stated electrical connection probably being the issue, I will probably have same repair pending. Good luck with the repair please update if possible.
Good luck to you too, the car was dropped off at the dealer Monday morning, as of 1am on Thursday I have not heard anything back... I will be calling tomorrow and will hopefully have some good news, or the beginning of a sob story. Fingers crossed, I will make sure to keep you guys updated.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Getting a string of errors across the dash, especially after a cold start makes me suspect a bad battery. I had a similar incident with a string of dash errors that was due to the battery voltage dropping when I started the car.

The vast array of electrical systems and communication busses are very sensitive to voltage levels being correct, and you can even get these errors after driving some amount of time.

I'd be looking at my battery if I were you. If it's still the original battery, chances are it's going or has far too low of an electrolyte level.

OP
OP
N_W_F

N_W_F

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Getting a string of errors across the dash, especially after a cold start makes me suspect a bad battery. I had a similar incident with a string of dash errors that was due to the battery voltage dropping when I started the car.

The vast array of electrical systems and communication busses are very sensitive to voltage levels being correct, and you can even get these errors after driving some amount of time.

I'd be looking at my battery if I were you. If it's still the original battery, chances are it's going or has far too low of an electrolyte level.
This could make sense too. I have a Verizon hum plugged into my obd port, and about a month ago I purchased a radar detector (story for a different day). Maybe both being plugged in have overworked the battery. Thanks for the input. Update hopefully coming around 9am tomorrow!
Sponsored