cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
Well, like pretty much every half way interested car I've owned over the last couple of decades I've ended up going down the rabbit with my Si. I just ordered the 27WON CAI and the last piece of the bolt-ons puzzle for me is a down-pipe. I had one on my previous car - BMW F30 - that sounded nice and deep without being raspy (it was catted), but was annoyingly loud on cold starts. I'm looking that and a cold-start delete on my Ktuner if possible (I park in an underground parking garage at home and any loud exhaust is amplified exponentially). I see that both PRL and 27WON make catted downpipes with a difference in price. I'm curious which one would be the quietest or least raspy if anyone has some first hand hearing of either one?
Sponsored

Yaminashi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 Integra DB1, 18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, like pretty much every half way interested car I've owned over the last couple of decades I've ended up going down the rabbit with my Si. I just ordered the 27WON CAI and the last piece of the bolt-ons puzzle for me is a down-pipe. I had one on my previous car - BMW F30 - that sounded nice and deep without being raspy (it was catted), but was annoyingly loud on cold starts. I'm looking that and a cold-start delete on my Ktuner if possible (I park in an underground parking garage at home and any loud exhaust is amplified exponentially). I see that both PRL and 27WON make catted downpipes with a difference in price. I'm curious which one would be the quietest or least raspy if anyone has some first hand hearing of either one?
I have the catted PRL and when I installed it with the factory exhaust it added just a bit of a deeper tone. Also occasionally had a burble but it's nothing over the top.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure if you're open to this route but any downpipe with Type R Retrofit exhaust will give you very quiet cold starts if noise is your main concern.

I'm running catless downpipe with Type R Exhaust and my cold start is basically similar to oem everything, extremely quiet and doesn't draw any attention

Here's a cold start video I uploaded

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I feel like just a DP will make things a bit more "growly" but still fairly quiet with the aggressively muffled and restrictive stock exhaust. If you get a full cat-back in addition to the DP, all bets are off though.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel like just a DP will make things a bit more "growly" but still fairly quiet with the aggressively muffled and restrictive stock exhaust. If you get a full cat-back in addition to the DP, all bets are off though.
Yeah agreed, not sure how catted would sound but when I ran catless DP w stock exhaust for about a month, I'd say sound levels were increased like 30-40%? Louder than stock but quieter than a muffler delete - can imagine will be much quieter

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Whichever brand I pick it will definitely be the catted version.

Yaminashi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 Integra DB1, 18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think whatever company you decide to choose you'll be happy with. Both make quality parts and are very well known in the community.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Decided to go with the PRL Street V2 catted down pipe. :)

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

aethecarfanatic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
Not sure if you're open to this route but any downpipe with Type R Retrofit exhaust will give you very quiet cold starts if noise is your main concern.

I'm running catless downpipe with Type R Exhaust and my cold start is basically similar to oem everything, extremely quiet and doesn't draw any attention

Here's a cold start video I uploaded
Sounds very good for being catless, great OEM+ upgrade. Any rev sound clips? Curious how it sounds in the upper range as I'm impressed it is that quiet at idle.

Dubers

First Name
Stevie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2017 Civic Touring, 2010 Civic EX-L Coupe 5sp
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whichever brand I pick it will definitely be the catted version.
I had the PRL catted DP installed a couple weeks ago and love it! Quiet on start-up, occasional burbles between shitfs in lower gears, and a bit more growl during spirited driving. You will love it.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had the PRL catted DP installed a couple weeks ago and love it! Quiet on start-up, occasional burbles between shitfs in lower gears, and a bit more growl during spirited driving. You will love it.
That’s what I went with.

Last edited:

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just installed a hasport 62a RMM along with the prl catted downpipe on my Si that has the 27won axle back. It doubled the sound of the car inside my cabin and its too much for me. I liked the car better with just the exhaust. I am unsure how much the RMM ended up amplifying everything. I think I should give it a few weeks and likely I will get used to it. Cheers.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just installed a hasport 62a RMM along with the prl catted downpipe on my Si that has the 27won axle back. It doubled the sound of the car inside my cabin and its too much for me. I liked the car better with just the exhaust. I am unsure how much the RMM ended up amplifying everything. I think I should give it a few weeks and likely I will get used to it. Cheers.
I really like the sound clips of the 27WON exhaust, however, based upon what I've been reading, combining an aftermarket exhaust with a downpipe increases the sound to a greater level than what I could deal with. The DP adds a tiny bit of power and is cheaper so that's the route I went with and will be leaving the OEM cat back exhaust system alone.
Sponsored