Do you ever feel it's a waste to build your Si?

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts about building your Si.

Let's say you bought your Si for $25k. Then you do your bolt-ons, tune, suspension, wheels, and all the bits. After all that, you want more and go bigger turbo and flex fuel and clutch. After all is said and done, you could have just bought a Type R and be done with it.

Back in the day, we had a saying that you could spend $10k and put all the Type R Integra parts on your GSR, but it will never be a Type R Integra. Do you guys feel that way with your Si? Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I think it's not worth it and I could have just purchased a Type R.
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Si has things the Type R doesn’t. Also, the way the Si turbo has more grunt down low compared to the mid-high range grunt of the CTR turbo means tuning an Si will provide more scoot around town while tuning the Type R will give you a lot more power at much more illegal speeds.

Even so, if you spent 10k modding an Si it still might be more a more preferable daily driver than a CTR would be for some people.

It’s all about taste!

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Blue Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Yes absolutely, but I had a '19 Civic EXL (not an Si) and was putting too much money into it, and skipped straight ahead to the Type-R.

OP
OP
MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Thank you all. Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. Although as Zeffy mentioned, there are definitely daily driver benefits that the Si has. That's why I purchased it, as it is my daily. I don't think I would want to rack up a bunch of miles on a Type R.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If I were pumping $12K+ into my Si, then sure I might look back and consider if I should have just started with a more expensive car. However, I doubt most Si owners are spending that kind of dough to try and bring their Civic closer to the Type-R. For most it's just about getting to customize a relatively cheap car to your own taste and making it unique.

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I feel a couple different ways about this topic, but it's ultimately subjective.

I think that at the end of the day it's only a waste of time/money if you believe it to be the case and aren't happy with your car afterwards. If you are happier building an Si that comparably performs to a Type R then all the power to you. Some people buy the Si with no intentions on modding either and catch themselves falling down the rabbit hole spending more than it would cost for the Type R, but would they rather buy the type R and leave it stock? Probably not.

I wanted the Type R and had to settle on the Si because of my budget. I am slowly adding mods to my car here and there as my budget allows while trying to be thoughtful as to not compromise the integrity of the car to preserve resale value. For me its about balance between modding to improve the experience driving the car without sacrificing the daily drivability. I currently have just TSP stage 1 tune, Eibach pro springs, and some shifter upgrades, but I plan on getting a CAI, catted DP and Intercooler as my last bits of performance mods. That is the perfect balance for me though; everyone is different.

I also think sticking to just buying mods that are frequently done is a safer bet too, because they are much easier to resell. It's easier to resell a CAI than it is to resell a turbo. So being mindful of that along with the car itself having a strong resale value, you can easily recoup most of what you spent and put it towards a Type R later down the line if you so choose.

Last edited:

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
These days I think it's best to buy the car that comes stock with the level of performance you want.
Wasn't always that way.
I think that changed when manufacturers purposely restricted the torque their engines make in order to keep their cars reliable.
But what do I know?
I'm just a boomer. LOL!

OP
OP
MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
why not. I drove mine from Austin to Orlando and back. It was super comfortable and 300 HP is awesome for passing goons on the interstate.
Nice! Must be nice to have goon passing power at will haha.

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
It's never a waste cause there's always going to be that car that is more powerful for the same amount of your car plus mod.

For me, let's say I did get a type-R. I would still mod it...for the sake of modding it...and the same question would remain...is it a waste to build your type-r when you could've just bought *insert some 375-400hp car* for the amount of the type-r plus mods.

I will say, however, if they offered a type-r in a sedan variant...I would jump on it immediately. lmao

vieux georges

First Name
georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017civic si coupe
Country flag
I deliberately chose an SI coupe.
I don't like the 5-door body, the spoiler and
the 20''wheels of the CTR.
With my modified engine, I have more torque
but less power than the CTR and it suits me perfectly.
I like my Si which I also made some interior improvements.
All in all, it cost me about 10 K can $.
What disappoints me is the clutch and the gearbox.
Even if I take it easy, the clutch won't last very long.
Clutchmasters have disappointed a lot of SI enthousiasts.
As for the gearbox, it is badly stepped and fragile.
Several have had problems and I think I am going
to be one of them. I have a whining in 1st and 2nd specially.
It's probably bearings. Sooner or later, I should get it fixed.
I'll take the opportunity to change the clutch and the
flywheel as well.
I hope we'll find a clutch-flywheel set on the market
that's worth it. I am waiting to hear about the new
PRL kit, the competition clutch.
Modifying a car is expensive and brings a lot of problems.
Am I regret ?
No, I love my SI.
Edit : me too, I pass the goons on the higway !

Reactions: JMM

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Some may call it a "build". Some call it modding but to me it's customization. And honestly cars have always been about personal taste from the color you choose to the stock power of a car you choose.

I've never owned a car I didn't customize to my liking. Who wants to be driving the same car as everybody else? I've also never second guessed my choice to mod a car. Hell, I spent 10K modding an Elantra GT hatch which probably seems nuts to you guys. But it turned into a helluva ride.

My only problem with the mod money I've spent on the Civic is I've had more "misses" than any other car I've owned. There's just so many available mods for this car; I've definitely bought numerous things that I tried and removed or replaced with something else. I still have a small stockpile of items awaiting installation.

As you all know modding is addictive.

I think once I put on my new wheels, I'm good.

I think. Maybe. :cool:

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
I went from a FBO 2018 Si with ethanol and aftermarket clutch to a 2019 CTR. Where I felt the need to modify the si to get it to my liking, I don’t feel that way at all with the Type R. It’s that good in stock form.
In hindsight i should have stopped with a ktuner/ hondata.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
I am making payments on 2 civics.

For that price, I can/could be in a type r. Me not having a garage and living in a condo. I just don’t want my car to be the only one I have access to and be exposed. I don’t regret not getting a type r. Insurance would probably be more expensive. Perhaps I can get a garage one day and not be making 2 car payments and can get a type r.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
I am making payments on 2 civics.

For that price, I can/could be in a type r. Me not having a garage and living in a condo. I just don’t want my car to be the only one I have access to and be exposed. I don’t regret not getting a type r. Insurance would probably be more expensive. Perhaps I can get a garage one day and not be making 2 car payments and can get a type r.
I have a condo too. My CTR bakes in the Florida sun. I do have it ceramic coated though and I plan to get a single family in the near future with a garage.
Insurance actually dropped $7 per month for me as it’s a newer vehicle that gets new car discounts
Sponsored