Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
The truth hurts man...1234-yf isn't gonna make those winters go away anytime soon...
Nothing to do with the truth. I just don't want 14 pages of arguing when I've already conceded it's technically true, but still no excuse.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Shtumpa

Shtumpa

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
The problem with that is the auto-ignition of anthing combustible near it. You see, fire loves and loathes oxygen which is planty available in the atmosphere. Mix that with something combustible and pretty soon that gas tank goes....ka-boom.
Still plenty in there so must be really slow leak into basically open air.

Has this ever happened with the hundreds of thousands (? I think) of civics driving around over the last 5 years with AC leaks?

OP
OP
Shtumpa

Shtumpa

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I put in 8 oz and it’s basically still all there a month later

OP
OP
Shtumpa

Shtumpa

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Shtumpa - why wouldn't you take it to a Honda dealer? There's an extended AC component warranty in effect (10 yrs., I think). My '16 started blowing warm air - took it in and they replaced the evaporator and recharged the system at no cost to me. It was actually a very good experience.
“The condenser on my 2016 Civic touring was replaced in Sept 2019, still under warranty. Blowing hot air on the driver's side like so many others. Now it's June, 2020, car still has under 36K miles but is now more than three years old. Car is blowing hot air on the driver's side again. Thought it would still be under the new 12 month warranty for last year's repair but now they're saying it's the evaporator that's broken and will cost $2600 to repair. I can't believe the same problem is being caused by a part independent of the part last year and yet causing the exact same problem. This is my second Civic. Don't think they'll be a third.“

cause of posts like this one of many. I know others have had good experiences but I’ll try my luck first.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
“The condenser on my 2016 Civic touring was replaced in Sept 2019, still under warranty. Blowing hot air on the driver's side like so many others. Now it's June, 2020, car still has under 36K miles but is now more than three years old. Car is blowing hot air on the driver's side again. Thought it would still be under the new 12 month warranty for last year's repair but now they're saying it's the evaporator that's broken and will cost $2600 to repair. I can't believe the same problem is being caused by a part independent of the part last year and yet causing the exact same problem. This is my second Civic. Don't think they'll be a third.“

cause of posts like this one of many. I know others have had good experiences but I’ll try my luck first.
So, did this person’s evap coil crack or just clogged so bad air wasn’t flowing through the core? Oddly enough, if you remove a condenser or anything major to the ac system a dryer and receiver should also be replaced I was always told.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
You should bring your car in while you still have warranty. Last year they replaced my compressor, and this year they replaced the condenser and one of the pipes. The only hassle I’ve had during both experiences was having to bring the car to the dealer and picking it up.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
You should bring your car in while you still have warranty. Last year they replaced my compressor, and this year they replaced the condenser and one of the pipes. The only hassle I’ve had during both experiences was having to bring the car to the dealer and picking it up.
Damn I’m hoping they put your ac system through a nice and long vacuum state. I’d be worried about unwanted moisture getting into the system via air.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Damn I’m hoping they put your ac system through a nice and long vacuum state. I’d be worried about unwanted moisture getting into the system via air.
You and I both lol. IMO it's sloppy they didn't catch the condenser and pipe the first time around. I'll be getting the extended warranty as I feel like there's a good chance it'll pay for itself..

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If anyone DIYed recharging refrigerant (1234yf) or if service center recharged without repairing underlying leak, please share their experiences:

- For how long did the a/c work? Various thread comments seem to vary anywhere from days to a year.

- Did the refrigerant leak out after not using it for a while (seal issues)?

- Any issues getting serviced after DIYing repairs? (e.g. used 134a refrigerant shop probably won’t touch it, only replace entire system). Can they tell you added your own 1234yf?

Like you were at one point, I'm very tempted to recharge w/ r134a, but because r1234yf seems to be getting cheaper ($30-35) I'm going to give it a shot for the rest of the summer. If it flops, I will try 134a next time because why not....

I'll report back in a week or so.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Shtumpa - why wouldn't you take it to a Honda dealer? There's an extended AC component warranty in effect (10 yrs., I think). My '16 started blowing warm air - took it in and they replaced the evaporator and recharged the system at no cost to me. It was actually a very good experience.
How long did they keep the car for? I have mine going in on the 17th and hoping they will get it done within the day.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
How long did they keep the car for? I have mine going in on the 17th and hoping they will get it done within the day.
Depends on if they have the replacement part needed on hand and if not, how long it'll take for them to get it.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Depends on if they have the replacement part needed on hand and if not, how long it'll take for them to get it.
Ok so should be one day. I tried getting my car booked at the end of May and the earliest they could do was the 17th July purely because of lack of parts. Ill call them tomorrow and confirm its still good.

FR32H OJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
wow, so many useless people offering useless information. Going to the dealer will cost you $$$ warranty or not. Complaining about the ozone is also not helpful. None of you have helped the OP's question.

This is possible to do yourself but you'll need to find the right adapter. I'll be starting a new conversation as I am in the same boat. I have the Honeywell R-1234yf canister but need to find an adapter. Has anyone found an adapter that works?

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY refrigerant recharge experiences 11933297_adv_18797_pri_lar

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
wow, so many useless people offering useless information. Going to the dealer will cost you $$$ warranty or not. Complaining about the ozone is also not helpful. None of you have helped the OP's question.

This is possible to do yourself but you'll need to find the right adapter. I'll be starting a new conversation as I am in the same boat. I have the Honeywell R-1234yf canister but need to find an adapter. Has anyone found an adapter that works?

11933297_adv_18797_pri_larg.jpg
I think Amazon have those R1234YF hoses.

FR32H OJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think Amazon have those R1234YF hoses.
Thanks for the info. I have bought 2 adapters which both don't fit. Looking for input from someone who has actually completed the process.
Sponsored