Starting my sound deadening project

dirtrider216

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport Touring, 2006 4Runner (for sale)
Country flag
Got the interior stripped down to get started on my sound deadening project today
Going to be using a combo of 50mil and 80 mil butyl dampener along with noico 150 mil closed cell foam
Plan is to do 50mil and then foam under the front carpet (finished that but don’t have pics as I didn’t want to remove the carpet all the way due to the center console being a PITA to remove) so I just wrestled around the carpet
Then I’m gonna do 80 mil and foam on the rest of the exposed metal on the floor of the car
80 mil in the doors
And hopefully I’ll be able to get 50 mil and foam above the headliner on the roof of the car

Honda Civic 10th gen Starting my sound deadening project DBB20D6C-DCDA-4F23-8FE5-4C30FB8C561F

Honda Civic 10th gen Starting my sound deadening project 437FC358-C410-4A54-9780-49EBFEC72814

2017touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring (Black on Black); 2018 Mustang GT
Country flag
Wow, I have always wanted to do something like this to my cars but living in an apartment building could never take on something like this. Your car will be so quiet! I am a little jelly :D

ts13

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
please let us know how this turns out!

OP
OP

dirtrider216

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Got as much as I could done on the roof of the car
I couldn’t for the life of me get the visors to come off so I had to just angle down the headliner and work in the area behind my sunroof- this is the area that needed the most help anyways
But I only got a few strips of dampener and foam in each section of the roof but on a tap test it seems to have made it drastically less resonant.
Still working on finishing up the rear seats and spare tire area then gonna tackle any places that look like they may rattle before I move on to finish with the doors

OP
OP

dirtrider216

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Roof and floors are all finished up and tomorrow I’ll be putting the interior back together and starting on the doors
I left some areas of the floor foam less for clearance reasons
I don’t want to have to force anything back together and since I’m not using any MLV I know this isn’t going to be a perfect quiet project anyways so I’d rather have it look buttoned than have foam everywhere and then broken rattling plastic trim
Honda Civic 10th gen Starting my sound deadening project F942B567-5055-4749-A393-85C89CB98A0A
Honda Civic 10th gen Starting my sound deadening project 6D84FBDA-0FCF-4AFD-8170-03A6F63B822E
Honda Civic 10th gen Starting my sound deadening project 212C3051-CB00-4A53-8B06-38D0AA1BF6D7

Vrait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
It is a lot of work, but it's worth it.

I've done everything in mine except for the floor and roof and it has made a big difference.

Hopefully I can do the floor eventually.

OP
OP

dirtrider216

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Got everything all finished up on the car didn’t take any more pictures because honestly it was hot and I wanted to get finished but it’s by no means a challenging project, just time consuming. My biggest challenge was getting the trim back in to fit nicely and again just takes a lot of tries to make it flush
Used this video for help to get the center console out. My car is CVT so there’s a few extra clips but just take your time and check everything out before you pull so you don’t break anything.

I put as much foam as I could on the back sides of the trim pieces and around the sunroof to stop any rattles I could think of.
The car is noticeably quieter and the only noise left is coming from the tires.

CivicShwags

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Roof and floors are all finished up and tomorrow I’ll be putting the interior back together and starting on the doors
I left some areas of the floor foam less for clearance reasons
I don’t want to have to force anything back together and since I’m not using any MLV I know this isn’t going to be a perfect quiet project anyways so I’d rather have it look buttoned than have foam everywhere and then broken rattling plastic trim
F942B567-5055-4749-A393-85C89CB98A0A.jpeg
6D84FBDA-0FCF-4AFD-8170-03A6F63B822E.jpeg
212C3051-CB00-4A53-8B06-38D0AA1BF6D7.jpeg
I am currently sound deadoning all four doors and trunk before i start tearing out the back seat. Is that Noico Red? Would you love to hear the difference in lower frequencies such as exhaust when driving on highway. I'm running a 3" exhaust from the downpipe to the back so it's loud af....

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dang I posted a new thread, didn't see this when I searched. I finished the trunk but im trying to remove the headliner to get the roof. Any tips? I've seen a video guy takes off the rear handles and some headliner to get to the antenna. Can you keep working it off forward?

EasyFrag

First Name
JOey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If you are concerned about making the interior quiet, MLV is the most important step. YOu have the base for it. CLD then foam then MLV.

Honda Civic 10th gen Starting my sound deadening project IMG_0476.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Starting my sound deadening project IMG_0471.JPG

OP
OP

dirtrider216

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Dang I posted a new thread, didn't see this when I searched. I finished the trunk but im trying to remove the headliner to get the roof. Any tips? I've seen a video guy takes off the rear handles and some headliner to get to the antenna. Can you keep working it off forward?
You gotta remove the 4 door handles and then also pop off the lenses for your map lights in the front and back and there’s screws under those lenses and then the headliner should just lower down. You do have to take ALL the trim plastic off from around the seat belts for front and rear seats and the plastic A pillar as well. Look up on YouTube how to remove the mirrors/ visors I couldn’t get it done but I know it is doable somehow. And lastly get some soft compressible foam- like what would be in a camera case. The roof liner won’t go back up the same and there will be some rattling if you have a sunroof and the foam will be to help that

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you are concerned about making the interior quiet, MLV is the most important step. YOu have the base for it. CLD then foam then MLV.
Wow that's really nice. I was able to get my power wire over the crossbrace. That looks super clean. Have you done headliner?

OP
OP

dirtrider216

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG
I just don’t have the funds to allocate for the MLV right now since I’m in grad school but maybe one day ????
But I am doing a sound deadening project for a semi truck - sponsored by work and I used noico butyl rubber and then luxury liner pro for that and I’m jealous I couldn’t throw that in my civic

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You gotta remove the 4 door handles and then also pop off the lenses for your map lights in the front and back and there’s screws under those lenses and then the headliner should just lower down. You do have to take ALL the trim plastic off from around the seat belts for front and rear seats and the plastic A pillar as well. Look up on YouTube how to remove the mirrors/ visors I couldn’t get it done but I know it is doable somehow. And lastly get some soft compressible foam- like what would be in a camera case. The roof liner won’t go back up the same and there will be some rattling if you have a sunroof and the foam will be to help that
I have si sedan and the headliner already rattles with the subs. The roof buzzes like a tin can so deadening is a must, then I'll foam. Will this be thick enough or will I still need to put thicker pieces some places. Doesn't sound promising.
Sponsored