Last edited:

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just posted on Motortrend and Car and Driver Honda is making some broad sweeping changes to it's lineup. They confirmed today that the Fit is in fact dead in the US market.

They also more or less said the Civic Coupe is dead (motortrend treated it more as a confirmed decision, car and driver said Honda did NOT explicitly say) and will be discontinued immediately, with no 2021 model. Also dead for 2021, the Civic Si and Type R. Honda will carry over the 2020 Type R, along with it's special edition model for 2021. Production on the coupe and Si models will stop for 2021. The new civic will be for 2022, and will see the Si return, along with the Type R however. Sedan and Hatch models confirmed, Honda did not explicitly say the coupe would not return for 2022... but I think we all sadly know the answer to that question. The last of the sporty coupes has died, leaving only the Veloster to hold that candle.

They also confirmed that the manual transmission for the accord, is over. It actually ended production back in 2019, and are just now saying as much.

I have no idea if I'll keep my 2019 coupe, or if I'll make the jump to the Hatchback civic when the 2022 comes... I really hope honda's non-confirmation on the coupe means there's still a chance, but not going to hold my breath. Sad day for car enthusiasts at the death of coupes and manuals, thanks largely to crossover fever.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33336428/honda-accord-manual-transmission-discontinued/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33336901/honda-civic-coupe-discontinued/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...ontinued-for-the-us-despite-new-global-model/

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Article says it’s only for 2021 MY as Honda is tooling for the new 11th gen production. Lots of changes in the Honda production world so this is expected as they re tool.

OP
OP
Siblue

Siblue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Civic 18 Type R
Country flag
Hope so, the last Si pause we got the EM1.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They gave confirmation the Si would be back for 2022... no hard confirmation on the coupe body style, but guessing it's dead sadly...

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Shame. The 10th gen Coupe was the best looking coupe yet. I bet 11th would've been even better. Sad indeed.

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I thought the Veloster was considered a hatchback?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought the Veloster was considered a hatchback?
It is. It's not even a true coupe. The only true coupes on the market now are RWD (not great living in the midwest) or Luxury options.

The loss of the manual on the accord also has implications for the future Si.... I don't see Honda dropping the manual on the Si... but to help with sales, they might finally offer an automatic option for the Si... I suppose we can also expect an Si hatchback model for the 11th gen. Given most of the Si's direct competition offers an auto option, it'd make sense IMO to offer a DCT or 10 speed auto.

I wouldn't be as upset getting a hatchback if I can get an Automatic Si hatch (next best would be a sport touring). I also hope that Honda does some kind of full width taillight on the hatch for the new gen, from a stylistic standpoint.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
:thumbsdown: This is the end of an era people. Take care of your manuals and coupes, because we’ll all be forced to buy self-driving land barges soon.
Then I guess I'll just have to buy a late '60s muscle car (Camaro or 'vette would be my preference). I prefer to actually "drive" vs. just steer ... or worse yet, be driven by AI. (always reminds me of Will Smith's character in i, Robot).

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agh, all of this makes me sad. Wonder if COVID just sped up this process.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Coupe is gone as predicted. And remember, when the 10th gen was introduced as a 2016 there was no Si. It came out the next model year. All this news makes sense. Except...

Honda Japan screwed the pooch on the latest gen Fit IMO. They clearly redesigned it for their market only. And it's honestly so lame looking few in the US would buy it. Yuck. Shame really because I always thought the Fit was a cool and funky little car.
Sponsored