Concerning all these threads popping up with issues like this is some sort of troubleshooting forum

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guys, no car is perfect 100% of the time. Not even this amazing Civic.

Go to any "Best Selling" item on Amazon. There will ALWAYS be numerous 1 star reviews saying "This item doesn't work!" or "I got a dud!"

Even if it's 20 negative reviews out of 5,000 positive reviews, that's still a tiny percentage!!!!!!!

As all of you know, the voice of one angry customer will drown out the happy cheers of TWENTY.

My point is, if you are having a problem with your car, please do not make such a splash on this forum. You must be aware that many car buyers are out there doing research RIGHT NOW, combing forums, soaking up information and scoping out this new vehicle.

Do we really want to scare away prospective buyers?

Do we really want to discourage people from experiencing this amazing car?

Fear is an incredibly powerful emotion. I don't think it's right to scare people like this.

What I'm trying to say is, can a moderator please use his or her discretion to screen these types of complaints about the vehicle? It really makes me sad because I enjoy my car and do not want others to shine it in a negative light. I don't think Honda would like it either.

Just a thought. Don't live life in fear. EVERY car runs a risk of having problems, whether it be a Toyota or BMW or Ferrari. Chances are, the Civic will be satisfactory.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've run an online car forum for 15 years so I think I'm qualified to respond here. Sure this is a Civic fan forum but it is also a forum for owners and potential buyers. I think it's always best to hear the good, the bad and the ugly. The Civic is a great car, no doubt. Fact is the overwhelming majority of posts here are positive. And many of the people complaining about their car's problems still love them. But to suggest that moderators only allow certain kinds of thoughts on the car seems like a form of censorship.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
My point is, if you are having a problem with your car, please do not make such a splash on this forum. You must be aware that many car buyers are out there doing research RIGHT NOW, combing forums, soaking up information and scoping out this new vehicle.
What I'm trying to say is, can a moderator please use his or her discretion to screen these types of complaints about the vehicle? EVERY car runs a risk of having problems, whether it be a Toyota or BMW or Ferrari.
Some good points here but I think the issue is more that posts about problems/issues with the car should be moved to the relevant forum:
Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls

BoringOhio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Every car forum has lots of posts describing problems people have with the car. People with perfect cars that are working fine don't seek out forums to make posts about it. People who have a problem try to find others with the same issue to see if there's a fix, so of course there are more negative sounding threads than positive ones. It's just the way car forums work. That said, there are still tons of posts about how much people love their cars if you read through the forums, plus Honda has already addressed many of these issues with software updates and people just need to get them installed.

reversals

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Some good points here but I think the issue is more that posts about problems/issues with the car should be moved to the relevant forum:
Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls
This. People have the right to seek advice on issues they're experiencing, but the very least you can do is post it in the relevant forum.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Difference between stuff you buy on Amazon and buying your car is huge. You're rarely spending >$20,000 on an Amazon item. Cars are typically in the top three of people's lifetime purchases. They're entitled to have concerns or criticisms - warranted to not - about their big ticket purchase. Forums are a perfect platform to voice these issues/concerns/criticisms. But just because you don't have an issue or disagree doesn't mean censorship or heavy-handed moderating is the answer. Personally, if I can't help or offer advice or flat-out think a thread is ridiculous: I typically don't answer or contribute to the thread. You don't have to read every post. I don't.

But I do agree that those posts should be in the appropriate sub-forum. However, I know why some posts (and I'm just as guilty) end up on the general forum: It's the most seen! And someone will more likely see it and respond.

OP
OP
D Money

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've run an online car forum for 15 years so I think I'm qualified to respond here. Sure this is a Civic fan forum but it is also a forum for owners and potential buyers. I think it's always best to hear the good, the bad and the ugly. The Civic is a great car, no doubt. Fact is the overwhelming majority of posts here are positive. And many of the people complaining about their car's problems still love them. But to suggest that moderators only allow certain kinds of thoughts on the car seems like a form of censorship.
Difference between stuff you buy on Amazon and buying your car is huge. You're rarely spending >$20,000 on an Amazon item. Cars are typically in the top three of people's lifetime purchases. They're entitled to have concerns or criticisms - warranted to not - about their big ticket purchase. Forums are a perfect platform to voice these issues/concerns/criticisms. But just because you don't have an issue or disagree doesn't mean censorship or heavy-handed moderating is the answer. Personally, if I can't help or offer advice or flat-out think a thread is ridiculous: I typically don't answer or contribute to the thread. You don't have to read every post. I don't.

But I do agree that those posts should be in the appropriate sub-forum. However, I know why some posts (and I'm just as guilty) end up on the general forum: It's the most seen! And someone will more likely see it and respond.
I agree with you but at the same time, I feel like it's unfair to paint the new Civic as an unreliable or janky car just because "it's the first year the platform is released." Fear is an extremely powerful motivator. If people feel even an OUNCE of possibility that their car might make them feel regret, they will run away from it like the plague.

That's just how the human brain works. People who are terrified of flying are somehow OK with driving 75 MPH down the interstate.

I would hate it for someone to succumb to their (IMO) irrational fears and go, "Ahhh fuck it, I'm gonna regret buying a Civic, I guess I'll go safe and buy a Corolla!"

But I can't with a good conscience allow someone to settle for a Corolla, which looks nice and has a reputation to last, but just is not as edgy or bold as the Civic. The Civic has attitude. And Honda is known for reliability as well.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Let's face it, like others have said, people will talk about the problems more than the likes. After all, they just shelled out $20,000+.

These are great cars and I'm sure Honda will fix the issues.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I agree with you but at the same time, I feel like it's unfair to paint the new Civic as an unreliable or janky car just because "it's the first year the platform is released." Fear is an extremely powerful motivator. If people feel even an OUNCE of possibility that their car might make them feel regret, they will run away from it like the plague.

That's just how the human brain works. People who are terrified of flying are somehow OK with driving 75 MPH down the interstate.

I would hate it for someone to succumb to their (IMO) irrational fears and go, "Ahhh fuck it, I'm gonna regret buying a Civic, I guess I'll go safe and buy a Corolla!"

But I can't with a good conscience allow someone to settle for a Corolla, which looks nice and has a reputation to last, but just is not as edgy or bold as the Civic. The Civic has attitude. And Honda is known for reliability as well.
I joined this forum when I was having issues with my Civic. Without the help of the awesome members in this forum, I'd still be trying to get the dealer to figure out how to resolve the turbo surging problem.

Most of the complaints on this forum are legitimate, coming from people who want/need help. There are also many threads on this forum that talk about how awesome this cars is, etc.

Why are you so concerned about Civic sales?

Sean2903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
just wanted to chime in here. I am fine with people posting complaints about the car such as the sub rattling. or the audio system messed up. To me the only people that bother me are people who type complaints like "the car made a strange noice when i hit a curb, kind of like plastic hitting rock" or "i'm not getting 42 mpg but i'm flooring it at every light, this car sucks" yes exagerations but you will see complaints like that. now there are plenty of legitimate complaints that get posted and i must say i wouldn't have fixed or figured out how to get the dealer to fix a couple problems without them being posted on this site. but there is a difference between posting for the knowledge of fixing something and posting because you have buyers remorse because you didn't wait for the si or the hatch. IE- people who complain about not enough room or not having a manual with over 200 hp.

MickeyDubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Golf R
I'm going to chime in as well... If the posts here are creating a disinterest in the car from potential buyers, that is a skew from the buyers perspective, not a problem with these forums.

If a person reading the forums sees 5 posts about problems with the Civic and decides "This car has way to many problems" I don't see that as the forums problem. This is a person that would do the same on Amazon, NewEgg, etc. There's probably a technical psychological term that's escaping me right now related to the skew of what you see vs the association of the whole, but I can't think of it.

It's like knowing 3 friends that have a problem with a Toyota Camry and that person saying "That's a terrible car, 3 of my friends all had a problem with it!" While a shitty percentage for that observer, it's an obscurely minor % of actual problems with the car.

Sean2903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I'm going to chime in as well... If the posts here are creating a disinterest in the car from potential buyers, that is a skew from the buyers perspective, not a problem with these forums.

If a person reading the forums sees 5 posts about problems with the Civic and decides "This car has way to many problems" I don't see that as the forums problem. This is a person that would do the same on Amazon, NewEgg, etc. There's probably a technical psychological term that's escaping me right now related to the skew of what you see vs the association of the whole, but I can't think of it.

It's like knowing 3 friends that have a problem with a Toyota Camry and that person saying "That's a terrible car, 3 of my friends all had a problem with it!" While a shitty percentage for that observer, it's an obscurely minor % of actual problems with the car.

There was a saying that was tossed around i remember hearing it when i was in hs. Basically goes like this. "imagine that you are eating the most incredible cake that you have ever had. It is the best tasting thing in the entire world. Now imagine that your friends tell you that the cake tastes horible and bad. Are you going to change your entire thought on the cake simply because one or two friends say they don't like it?"
Sponsored