What does everyone think of the upcoming Mazda3 2.5Turbo?

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow Coolrim, Yes you can speak for yourself only as a normal aspirated engine owner, unless others want to chime in, but this has been a discussion about honda needing to keep up with other automakers and there is nothing wrong with hoping that the company we invest our money in by buying their products does that. If someone wants more power in a car, that is perfectly acceptable and there is no need to backhandedly insult what others may want in their vehicles. I like honda, but it has to work for my $ just like everyone else that would like me to purchase their product. So if I expect more, then so be it.
At this point, I'd settle for a functional A/C versus more horsepower. Honda needs to focus on quality again, not fighting a horsepower war with their base models. If you need more horsepower, I'd just get a tune or maybe buy a Type R. There is no way a 2.5T Mazda is going to be comparably priced to our civics. (Probably similar $$$ to the CTR). Anyway, I took the scenic route home from work today with lots of twisties and not once did I yearn for more ponies. It was an absolute blast.
Sponsored

OP
OP
pdrumns

pdrumns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Coupe and 2019 Nissan Kicks
Country flag
Well horsepower is a part of the equation along with quality, but nothing says that you cant have both. As far as getting a tune or moving up to the CTR, Well I am a stock guy will never tune my car and even though I like the CTR, I would never pay a premium over MSRP and I nixed that car for me personally because the 20 inch wheels for me would be more hassle and again I dont want to have to change it from stock after I buy it, so no going down to 18 inch wheels. I have never complained about my SI for what it is and what I paid for it, but I do believe that honda should offer a higher SI model like an SI Touring which possible increased power to be competitive. They have a 250 hp Veloster for $28K before discounts. They offer the 2.5turbo in the Mazda6, CX-5 and CX-9. I supposed you can see the difference in price for the 6 and CX-5 with that engine to see the possible price difference in the 3 with it. Since honda is using more vehicle with more turbos, they could easily produce something comparable and anyway, I drive my car with its 205 hp for what it is and completely enjoy it, but that does not mean I cant enjoy a vehicle with more power or less. I also enjoy my little Nissan Kicks with only 122 hp. So I am not a power whore by any means.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
That's...a really weird take. I don't see how you can possibly generalize the sentiments of "turbo guys" versus "NA guys". I guarantee that there are a bunch of 2.0 owners who would love a big HP boost (and likewise the 1.5T contingent)

I think a lot of us civicx'ers are mostly just "car guys" - interested in the latest & greatest in automotive tech and performance. The new turbo 3 is a cool package; 250/320 + AWD = a combination that's inevitably going to draw a lot of interest. Doesn't mean anyone's "hot and bothered"

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Would have to know how the Transmission is programmed into the power delivery and the final gear ratio.
The Si’s on base tunes are still more agile than the Mazda may be; plus vehicle weight and suspension diagram.
Numbers don’t shed truth on the whole set-up of a vehicle. The biggest difference is the +1L increase of engine volume and maybe a bit more turbo.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
That's...a really weird take. I don't see how you can possibly generalize the sentiments of "turbo guys" versus "NA guys". I guarantee that there are a bunch of 2.0 owners who would love a big HP boost (and likewise the 1.5T contingent)

I think a lot of us civicx'ers are mostly just "car guys" - interested in the latest & greatest in automotive tech and performance. The new turbo 3 is a cool package; 250/320 + AWD = a combination that's inevitably going to draw a lot of interest. Doesn't mean anyone's "hot and bothered"
There’s also the fact that a lot of us that were in the market for a car also considered the Mazda3 because it’s a direct competitor. As such, them coming out with an affordable performance version of the 3 was certain to catch a lot of our attention. Some of us, myself included, are or were Mazda owners. There’s a lot of overlap between the two companies.

Mazda has a history of really schooling Honda on their interior/exterior styling and now they’re building a car to target that sweet hot-hatch spot between the CTR and non-CTR hatchbacks. We’d be stupid not to be interested in such a car.

OP
OP
pdrumns

pdrumns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
and I even heard talk of a 250hp Toyota Corolla GR Hatchback in the works. That would be cool if it gets produced and comes to the US

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R CW #00006
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Had a 2010 speed 3 and This is exciting news For Mazda. This AWD Turbo 3 Would make a perfect 2nd car and for winter..Once the R is paid off I would seriously consider a used Turbo 3

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
and I even heard talk of a 250hp Toyota Corolla GR Hatchback in the works. That would be cool if it gets produced and comes to the US
Reportedly it will be. But, it is a 3cyl that is very happy only up high. Maybe by Summer 2022 or mid Fall depending on the Global setbacks from all of the current events.

OP
OP
pdrumns

pdrumns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Reportedly it will be. But, it is a 3cyl that is very happy only up high. Maybe by Summer 2022 or mid Fall depending on the Global setbacks from all of the current events.
another reason that honda will need to up its game and produce something in the range between the current Si and the CTR. They can do it. They have the technology. Better, Stronger, Faster. :)

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Honda needs to push the whole product stack up in HP to compete.

CTR up to 400+, move the Si to 280-300 HP, base Civics around 220-250. Save sub-200 levels for the Fit.
So the $26k Si needs to compete with a $34k Mazda?

It has no performance upgrades at all. Reviews complain the 3 is not much fun to drive and adding HP and AWD with nothing else may attract a certain type of buyer but not most Si buyers, especially at $8k more.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Depends on its final price. If the OTD of MAZDA3 2.5T can be around $30k, it would be a great car. (Even though I don't think it base price can be lower than $30k)...
assuming about $4-5k for the turbo and AWD it's gonna sticker at $33-34k. That's in a whole other class in which I wouldn't be considering an awkward looking Mazda 3.

It's got the same seats, same torsion beam suspension, same brakes as the base 3. No thanks.

Mazda continues the tradition of odd cars that no one buys. I don't know who the market is for this car.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

Ok, a lot of you guys haven't been here nearly as long as I have. So let me clue you in on coo1rim. He has two main themes.

1. The 1.5T sucks compared to the perfection of his 2.0NA.

2. He's one of the world's best drivers and he's never had a 1.5T keep up with him on the streets of Toronto.

Just a heads up.

Last edited:

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I want a manual trans. A good looking, sporty car. Something fun to drive and play with that has lots of value. That is NOT a Mazda 3 at any horsepower. Yawn.

OP
OP
pdrumns

pdrumns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mazda continues the tradition of odd cars that no one buys. I don't know who the market is for this car.
I have to laugh a little at that statement. Do you know how many times I have read that the civic hatchback or sedan was unattractive or odd looking. I personally like the looks of the civic hatch and sedan. My point is, its good that a car manufacturer takes some chances. I also like the look of the 3 hatchback too. I think the 3 hatchback will be in the $32 range, but it will be a touring car, not a sports car. All just friendly speculation right now as no one has driven it.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
another reason that honda will need to up its game and produce something in the range between the current Si and the CTR. They can do it. They have the technology. Better, Stronger, Faster. :)
I don't get why they don't just make a Type R with 19" wheels, black seats, base stereo and subtle wing. That'd knock 3k off the price and you'd have your in between car, and you'd attract buyers who want something less boy racer. I'd guess they can't afford the additional production capacity in the UK.
Sponsored