Looks like CarAndDriver found out about the Type R overheating issues first hand

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28115797/2019-honda-civic-type-r-reliability-maintenance/

They noted that Focus RS and GolfRs running alongside did not run into this issue. They also noted this was a common complaint on the CTR owner forums.

Low to mid 80s air temps at the track they ran in.

Honda revised the grille for 2020 but I don’t think it’s enough. Anyone with a 2020 want to chime in if they tracked their car in similar conditions?
Sponsored

Amazon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS
Country flag
I made a thread about this awhile ago. Absolutely no amount of grille redesign is going to fix the problem, a 380cu core for this engine is asinine. You can take the whole damn bumper off if you want, but the reality is that it really needs to be double that size. All of the competition have cores around double the size, the CTR is the anomaly.

For example, the Golf R's is 616cu and the RS's is 750cu. Even cars making significantly less power have significantly larger coolers than the CTR, the GTI has roughly 500cu and my car had a 525cu core. The last two cars are making 50-60hp less, yet have 31% larger coolers.

The very first and most important modification anyone should do on a CTR is the intercooler, even if stock considering how BAT sensitive the ecu is.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I've read a ton on this and it feels like -

Intercooler + Oil cooler may be the ticket / possible grill increase flow but I don't think that does much personally

It does seem to be 'track specific' as noted in the article. On tracks with more carrying speed and straights it seems to do well, it's the short courses with a lot of speed turns and such that cranks the temps so hard on these cars it seems. Nurburbring has a lot of speed on it so no overheat for example during their testing. Also very cool in Germany I'd wager compared to some other track locations.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I made a thread about this awhile ago. Absolutely no amount of grille redesign is going to fix the problem, a 380cu core for this engine is asinine. You can take the whole damn bumper off if you want, but the reality is that it really needs to be double that size. All of the competition have cores around double the size, the CTR is the anomaly.

For example, the Golf R's is 616cu and the RS's is 750cu. Even cars making significantly less power have significantly larger coolers than the CTR, the GTI has roughly 500cu and my car had a 525cu core. The last two cars are making 50-60hp less, yet have 31% larger coolers.

The very first and most important modification anyone should do on a CTR is the intercooler, even if stock considering how BAT sensitive the ecu is.
That is shocking that Honda is using such a small IC on the CTR. I never considered one before I realized how woefully bad it is, now I may pick one up in the future along with a tune.

Amazon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS
Country flag
How bad is the stereo? Is it something easily amended simply by swapping out the speakers and/or sub?

CbusHondaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Si TW, 2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
How bad is the stereo? Is it something easily amended simply by swapping out the speakers and/or sub?
No bass at all, the subwoofer doesn't seem to do anything, tweeters give you ears fatigue after awhile, average clarity overall. It's a mess and my 2006 Si sounds much better! I swapped out the center speaker with a J/L audio speaker and it made a tiny difference. My main problem is the almost complete lack of bass, especially from the sub. It's definitely not a "Premium" system, at least not when compared to the Premium Audio in a 14 year old Si :thumbsdown:

Waynegro372

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A mule
Country flag
While I agree with all this and the stock IC is pathetically small there are handfuls of forum members who have upgraded to aftermarket ICs, oil coolers and larger radiators and still are overheating at the track. I still don’t think this problem has been totally solved yet.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag

Moving to a larger after market intercooler will make things worse as it simply blocks more flow to the radiator.

There's a reason why the CTR TCR doesn't modify the intercooler. They use an improved radiator, additional vents from the front fog covers, vented hood, and larger grille.

Stay with whats proven on the track instead of hearsay.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Moving to a larger after market intercooler will make things worse as it simply blocks more flow to the radiator.

There's a reason why the CTR TCR doesn't modify the intercooler. They use an improved radiator, additional vents from the front fog covers, vented hood, and larger grille.

Stay with whats proven on the track instead of hearsay.
Bingo. The intercooler will have no effect on the coolant temps. Running a massively thicker intercooler will probably increase you coolant temps if anything.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
While I agree with all this and the stock IC is pathetically small there are handfuls of forum members who have upgraded to aftermarket ICs, oil coolers and larger radiators and still are overheating at the track. I still don’t think this problem has been totally solved yet.
That's why I think an oil cooler is part of the equation

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Bingo. The intercooler will have no effect on the coolant temps. Running a massively thicker intercooler will probably increase you coolant temps if anything.
An IC retains cooling for the purpose of the tune, whether OEM or aftermarket. It only helps maintain power levels at any given level, with any tune, not cool an engine. Agree.

I don't think the "thickness" of the IC really matters in this case. e.g., PRL's is a bar and plate design and keeps over all engine temps. down in stop and go, for normal driving or spirited. The other point, would be airflow through the IC.

Assume you run 23 lbs of boost, is it 23 before, and after the IC? (OEM or not). Is that 23 lbs of boost, hitting maybe 30 on the inlet side because it can't flow fast enough? Which would cause the engine to work harder? (OEM or OEM on a tune)

It still comes down to engine temps. which means intake/exhaust side and cooling of fluids. It would be nice to see a FK8 with a good intake, IC, exhaust, inlet pipe etc., compared to the OE in question just for reference. 2020 model just adds more confusion as Honda thought they were addressing something but really doesn't help anything once any number of parts are changed anyway. No one buys this car to track it OEM, article doesn't address that.

What fuel, what oil, is in play in that sense. Assuming all 3 cars are stock.

Last edited:

Amazon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS
Country flag
No bass at all, the subwoofer doesn't seem to do anything, tweeters give you ears fatigue after awhile, average clarity overall. It's a mess and my 2006 Si sounds much better! I swapped out the center speaker with a J/L audio speaker and it made a tiny difference. My main problem is the almost complete lack of bass, especially from the sub. It's definitely not a "Premium" system, at least not when compared to the Premium Audio in a 14 year old Si :thumbsdown:
Shit, I thought the system in my 07 and 08 Si's were a bit crappy compared to the Bose in my Speed3's. Think an inline amp upgrade could mend the bass issue?

GeezR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Type R, Caterham, VW Touareg, Chevy Volt
Country flag
The August 2020 Road & Track also finally acknowledges the overheating issues of the Type R on a "hot track". Its review of the 2020 model says the slightly larger grill opening is "meant" to address that overheating issue. They describe that problem as of the few track issues they have had with the Type R.

Car and Driver also mentioned how a low fuel reading can trigger limp mode on the track. After four years of extolling the track virtues of the Type R, I guess late is better than never.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Crazy idea: Open firewall to passenger footwell and place radiator fan pulling air into cockpit and out the widows. :)
Sponsored