Anyone ran 245/35 or 255/35 tires instead of the 30 series instead yet?

dj_ctr87

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had a set of 245/35 20 Conti DWS06s ($217) a while back but they road force balanced higher than normal and I experienced noticeable vibrations after 70mph. As a result, I swapped them out for 245/35 20 Vredestein Quatrac Pro ($162) due to high ratings throughout the web and the setup runs solidly. I put about 600miles since last Wednesday and they feel comparable to the Conti's. The ride is not nearly as stiff as the stock Contis but the ride remained compliant, secure, planted, and the car retained its fun-factor. Since winter is coming, hopefully I'll be able to test the snow and ice capabilities of the tires. So far, I'm impressed and satisfied with the purchase and would recommend them to anyone wanting to maintain the stock rims. I also swapped the rear brake pads and rotors out at a little over 37k; rotors are Power Stop and pads are Hawk HPS 5.0. Please let me know of you have any questions.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone ran 245/35 or 255/35 tires instead of the 30 series instead yet? 20191204_213454

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone ran 245/35 or 255/35 tires instead of the 30 series instead yet? 20191204_213518

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone ran 245/35 or 255/35 tires instead of the 30 series instead yet? 20191204_213539

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

dj_ctr87

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
In that last pic the wheel looks curbed all around. Ouch!
Haha. Fortunately not! The wheels appear that way but the "curbed" look is the lip of the tire closest to the edge of the rim. The light-toned appearance was likely from the mounting process.

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
A bit late to the party but I’ve attached a couple pics of the FR and RR stock wheels wrapped with 245/35 20 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06. No TPMS light, rubbing or any issues. It appears comparable to the 30 series rubber; profile wise. I was a bit cautious at first but don’t have any worries meow. Cheers!

1DEEF7A3-69BB-4C4C-B62B-C61F0CE7A245.jpeg

25050698-5B62-43C8-B11D-D80F15D994C6.jpeg
Hi Josh--so it has been about 2 years now for you on this all season tire--can you tell me how many miles you got out of them? I replaced the stock Contis at 11k miles with a summer Hankook tire with 320 treadwear, and they do not seem to be wearing as well as I had expected. I had a good experience with these DWS tires on my old WRX. Thanks.

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R, Accord, CRV
Country flag
Hi Josh--so it has been about 2 years now for you on this all season tire--can you tell me how many miles you got out of them? I replaced the stock Contis at 11k miles with a summer Hankook tire with 320 treadwear, and they do not seem to be wearing as well as I had expected. I had a good experience with these DWS tires on my old WRX. Thanks.
Todd, I have the same 245/35 20 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires with 15,000 miles on them. No problems at all. The taller 35 profile tire makes bumps and potholes much more forgiving. I have even tracked my car twice with these tires. I only wished I bought these tires the day after I got the car. I got them at Discount Tire for around $800 total.

todda

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
Todd, I have the same 245/35 20 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires with 15,000 miles on them. No problems at all. The taller 35 profile tire makes bumps and potholes much more forgiving. I have even tracked my car twice with these tires. I only wished I bought these tires the day after I got the car. I got them at Discount Tire for around $800 total.
superb==thanks for the timely response and take care of yourself in VA, Alan---before moving to CA, I lived in MD and drove to Richmond a couple times. Overall, it was nice. I drove back to CA in my Acura RSX-S, which was their attempt to re-do the original type R Acura--it actually did great over close to 3000 miles!

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
superb==thanks for the timely response and take care of yourself in VA, Alan---before moving to CA, I lived in MD and drove to Richmond a couple times. Overall, it was nice. I drove back to CA in my Acura RSX-S, which was their attempt to re-do the original type R Acura--it actually did great over close to 3000 miles!
Todd, a 3000 mile trip across the country sounds fun! I actually drove from Richmond to Criswell Honda in Germantown, MD to get my Trpe-R in January 2018. At the time they were the only dealership that would sell me the car for MSRP. It was 25 degrees and lightly snowing when I drove it home that day. The original summer tires were supposed to be driven in 45 degrees or higher. I was super nervous. You will be happy with these tires.

todda

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Todd, a 3000 mile trip across the country sounds fun! I actually drove from Richmond to Criswell Honda in Germantown, MD to get my Trpe-R in January 2018. At the time they were the only dealership that would sell me the car for MSRP. It was 25 degrees and lightly snowing when I drove it home that day. The original summer tires were supposed to be driven in 45 degrees or higher. I was super nervous. You will be happy with these tires.
This is good insight on the tire temperatures Alan--I drove the CTR to Vegas in January and it was about 30-35 degrees outside, and I was a little wary. We even have temps near this occasionally here in SoCal too. And I bought my Acura way back when at Criswell Acura in Annapolis. They were nice enough to pick me up on the Eastern Shore and take me to their dealership to pick up that car. I hope you had a + experience with them, as the dealers out here in SoCal can be a little pretentious and misleading.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To be honest, despite being warm enough for summer tires, I haven't felt the need to change out my DWS 06es. They handle great and since I can still rip around corners and grip the road like a champ I don't see the issue with them. Might leave them on the entire season.

hang729

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Comparing to 245/30/20 stock tires, are these less likely to get flat tire?

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
[/
I would say yes because the 35 vs the 30 is a half inch higher which has more cushion when hitting bumps and potholes.

hang729

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
I would say yes because the 35 vs the 30 is a half inch higher which has more cushion when hitting bumps and potholes.
Thank you!
I am always concerned about flat tire as I daily my R in nyc.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Thank you for sharing this vital information. I'm in the process of receiving my 2020 in a few weeks and was trying to learn what to do in regards to diverting from these OEM size tires. Going 18s was probably the best solution, but that would mean another set of wheels and tires plus no place to store OEM wheels. I'm glad I found this thread and that you were able to verify that the 245/35/20 setup is still holding up and you have no issues with it. This solution will only cost me a new set of tires, while retaining the factory look. It will also buy me some time if I do decide to go with 18s in the future. I'm strongly leaning towards trying the Michellin Pilot A/S 3 Plus found here:

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/michelin-pilot-sport-a-s-3-plus/p/36624

Thanks!

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you for sharing this vital information. I'm in the process of receiving my 2020 in a few weeks and was trying to learn what to do in regards to diverting from these OEM size tires. Going 18s was probably the best solution, but that would mean another set of wheels and tires plus no place to store OEM wheels. I'm glad I found this thread and that you were able to verify that the 245/35/20 setup is still holding up and you have no issues with it. This solution will only cost me a new set of tires, while retaining the factory look. It will also buy me some time if I do decide to go with 18s in the future. I'm strongly leaning towards trying the Michellin Pilot A/S 3 Plus found here:

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/michelin-pilot-sport-a-s-3-plus/p/36624

Thanks!
Your welcome MrTuckers.. Discount Tire will take care of you. I think they will even help you sell your original tires too. Let us know how it works out.
Sponsored