Joe1986

Banned
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Is it normal for the turbo and the surrounding area to be extremely hot after like 3 pulls? When I say extremely hot I mean it ...I open the hood and you can feel the heat in your face..u dont even have to touch it to feel the heat just put my hands about 3 inches away from the turbo and I can feel the heat..is this normal?
Sponsored

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Is it normal for the turbo and the surrounding area to be extremely hot after like 3 pulls? When I say extremely hot I mean it ...I open the hood and you can feel the heat in your face..u dont even have to touch it to feel the heat just put my hands about 3 inches away from the turbo and I can feel the heat..is this normal?
Yes. Turbos get insanely hot. If it wasn’t glowing, it wasn’t even that hot

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo extremely Hot??? ACC7C242-14D3-404F-B8B3-D38F7B967835

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
You do know a turbocharger runs off exhaust gasses, right?

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since you have exhaust gases at probably 500-600 degrees Celsius (900-1100 F) going through it, how cold would you like the turbocharger to be?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Totally normal for the turbo to get steaming hot after any amount of driving at temperature.

In fact, it's pretty normal for the engine bay to be very hot in general. Increasing the amount of power while decreasing displacement causes the heat density to increase, exacerbating the issue.

It's common to see people use heat reflective tape on intake parts, experiment with exhaust wraps and ceramic coatings or turbo blankets, and even buy higher flow front grilles to reduce the overall heat under the hood.

If you didn't notice, they even put a foam insulator and warning sticker on the hood stand because otherwise it can be so hot you'll burn your hand grabbing it.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag

Chrisp1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Type R, 12' Mustang, 05' STI
Country flag
This is no new news, I have a habit now of popping my hood and leaving it open after drives..come back to an oven garage lol can’t believe how much heat these things produce

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry I'm not familiar?
Exhaust gases spin a wheel in the exhaust housing. Connected to a shaft, that spins a wheel in the compressor housing that sucks in and compresses air. Thing is cooled by engine oil.. Turbo spins hella fast, creating heat from friction, on top of heat from exhaust gases.

tl;dr: turbos get hot af

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Totally normal for the turbo to get steaming hot after any amount of driving at temperature.

In fact, it's pretty normal for the engine bay to be very hot in general. Increasing the amount of power while decreasing displacement causes the heat density to increase, exacerbating the issue.

It's common to see people use heat reflective tape on intake parts, experiment with exhaust wraps and ceramic coatings or turbo blankets, and even buy higher flow front grilles to reduce the overall heat under the hood.

If you didn't notice, they even put a foam insulator and warning sticker on the hood stand because otherwise it can be so hot you'll burn your hand grabbing it.
For this reason I strongly recommend getting the aftermarket honeycomb grilles. I noticed the engine bay gets significantly cooler from the added airflow and heat escapes more quickly when the car is stationary. Parts like the intake used to be burning hot to the touch before I installed mine. Now I can crack my hood after running the car for a long time and touch pieces in the engine bay without getting 3rd degree burns.
Sponsored