CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatchback 1.5T
Country flag
Just noticed this sound on my way home at the gas station. The car has 32k miles, I am running a prl cobra street CAI, Ktuner with tsp tune for non SI civic and just installed a magnaflow catback exhaust. I have not been running the car hard. Just to and from work and it wasnt there earlier. It just started.

Civic knock
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Man that sounds unusual. I would wait what other people will say about that knocking noise. My sport hatch running on Hondata +6psi high octane tune does not sound like that.

OP
OP
CavCat

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did use go gas 93 octane ethanol free gas 2 days ago but have since added premium 93 from shell. Im at a loss. Wife and I went to bk 7 mins away, on way back stopped at the gas station and heard the sound on idle. I did check my oil, its full and maintenance minder says 70% oil and filter B. The oil seemed kinda watery to me and almost smelled of fuel? Could be my imagination.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Smell of fuel on the oil is due to oil dilution. Everytime I empty my oil catch can, the smell of fuel is there.

JackOfAllBlades

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 2.0L 6MT Lunar Silver Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did use go gas 93 octane ethanol free gas 2 days ago but have since added premium 93 from shell. Im at a loss. Wife and I went to bk 7 mins away, on way back stopped at the gas station and heard the sound on idle. I did check my oil, its full and maintenance minder says 70% oil and filter B. The oil seemed kinda watery to me and almost smelled of fuel? Could be my imagination.
Was the fill level high?

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Sounds like a rod bearing isn’t happy and has some increased clearance. (Rod knock)
Direct result of oil dilution, regardless or oil weight fuel in the oil will dramatically cut the ability to provide the shear resistance needed on the bearing surfaces during operation. Shame that Honda did not foresee this in R&D as a big issue.
Next oil change watch for shimmer / pieces of bearing in the oil. It will be non magnetic so no use in a magnet drag.

OP
OP
CavCat

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here is where its at. I purchased the car 4 weeks ago. Have had the ktuner with tsp tune for 3 weeks, the intake for 2 weeks and exhaust for 4 days. Im in NC and its been around 90 temp wise. I just drive to and from work on camp lejeune and havent driven it hard. Should I reflash to stock and take it to the dealer? Will I have to remove the prl cobra intake?

Honda Civic 10th gen Please advise**Civic 1.5 EX-T hatchback knocking sound 20200630_220217

OP
OP
CavCat

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
UPDATE: Just left the dealer. Car was making the knock sound on the way there. Heard it at the dealer with the service clerk and now we cant replicate the noise again in the repair bay. Its under warranty and covered so they said to bring it back if it starts up again and not shut off the engine. Could it jave been the ethanol free premium 93 gas I used a few days ago? Im at a loss.

JackOfAllBlades

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 2.0L 6MT Lunar Silver Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
UPDATE: Just left the dealer. Car was making the knock sound on the way there. Heard it at the dealer with the service clerk and now we cant replicate the noise again in the repair bay. Its under warranty and covered so they said to bring it back if it starts up again and not shut off the engine. Could it jave been the ethanol free premium 93 gas I used a few days ago? Im at a loss.
I seriously doubt it was the gasoline, but may have a different opinion. It does look like your oil level is high, did they check the oil when you were there?

OP
OP
CavCat

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They said the oil looked fine and smelled normal. I am going to drive it around and see if it comes back. At least its now documented and if something happens, its now on them. What yall recomend? On another note, I love this community. Thank you all.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Have you tried putting octane booster fuel injector cleaner in there to see if there’s a problem with the fuel’s octane rating? Sometimes I lose some power in my si when I’m using 7-11 gas and whenever I put lucus injector cleaner, it fixes itself. I know many folks have mixed thoughts about them and absolutely despise them. cough Scotty Kilmer cough. What year is the civic and is your driving a lot of stop and go? Some of the problems can be attributed to carbon build up or fuel dilution.

OP
OP
CavCat

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It is a 2018 ex hatch. Just hit 33k miles. A lot of stop and go. Have o ly ran it once WOT sorta against a wrx on the freeway.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I see that you are concerned about possible knock. Have you checked your knock control level?

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
Just noticed this sound on my way home at the gas station. The car has 32k miles, I am running a prl cobra street CAI, Ktuner with tsp tune for non SI civic and just installed a magnaflow catback exhaust. I have not been running the car hard. Just to and from work and it wasnt there earlier. It just started.

Civic knock
I’m not entirely sure but I heared similar sound too. In fact I still can hear it but maybe not as loud as this. The engine was louder before the first oil change in my 1.5 turbo hatch (EU). Then the delaer changed the engine oil and they used Shell ACEA C2 5w30 (no they didn’t put the original 0w20 in it) and the engine has become noticeably smoother and quiter. There are other noises in my car that just appear and then disappear btw.

OP
OP
CavCat

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for your feedback sir. It hasn't returned yet so I went ahead and installed ktuner back with my tsp tune. Maybe the car didnt like the ethanol free 93 octane gas I used a few days ago? Regardless, if it turns up again, will leave it with the dealer. I am too close to the end of the factory warranty so will drive somewhat aggresive to see if it replicates. Thanks again.
Sponsored