Road noise (tires?)

rgrafton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Just got a '16 Honda Civic EX two weeks ago. Love the car. Only thing I've noticed is the road noise. I think it has to do with the Firestone tires... Probably not the greatest. Looking forward to wearing them out and getting some continentals.
Sponsored

Tehsoap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic ex
I've noticed a noise too, especially when I'm making sharp turns.

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
There are other posts about how loud the road noise is also. I guess my opinion and others are based on previous vehicles owned and compared to the civic.
This for sure. The Civic X is super quite...compared to past civics and other cars in this price bracket. If you compare it to even entry level luxury cars (Lexus or Acura) you could call it pretty loud.

OP
OP

rgrafton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I almost think it has to do with the tires though, just because when I hit certain surfaces like paved bridges, it's super loud and not even my Subaru sounds like that.

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
I mean, tires are going to have an impact on road noise, but only to a certain extent. I'm sure the OEM tires aren't great for road noise, but I wouldn't expect a night and day difference just from a tire swap. It really just needs more noise insulation material in the door panel.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
On certain road surfaces the tires are loud and the noise enters the cabin. Otherwise, I think the car is very quiet. It easily compares to entry level Mercedes and Audi A4 I've owned.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mean, tires are going to have an impact on road noise, but only to a certain extent. I'm sure the OEM tires aren't great for road noise, but I wouldn't expect a night and day difference just from a tire swap. It really just needs more noise insulation material in the door panel.
I once had that same opinion until I had purchased a set of kumho tires and not long after the newness wore off that I realized they were loud and a bad buying decision. Less than a year later I took them back and purchased Continental tires and they were a literal night and day difference in road noise levels to the kumho set. Way better grip too. Can't discount how much impact tires have on the car's ride, handling and nvh, I've learned from first hand experience.

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I have a LX and mine is really noisy. The car was very quiet when it was still brand new but now 8 months in, the car is absolutely noisy. Not sure if its the tires but I'm not forking up a few hundred for a different set of tires just for the noise control. Guess I'll have to suck it up and sit in a noisy car. :(

hybrid81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I once had that same opinion until I had purchased a set of kumho tires and not long after the newness wore off that I realized they were loud and a bad buying decision. Less than a year later I took them back and purchased Continental tires and they were a literal night and day difference in road noise levels to the kumho set. Way better grip too. Can't discount how much impact tires have on the car's ride, handling and nvh, I've learned from first hand experience.
I had the same experience with Continental ties on my old Accord. They were awesome, and likely my next purchase after the intake is installed.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Some low profile and performance tires are noisy or become noisy as they wear. Tire Rack for one rates tires on many "performance factors" including noise. Choose according to your needs/desires. Most major brands offer a quiet tire "model" that will fit all but hardcore needs.

CosmicSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
What "model" of Contis did you get?

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Haven't switched out the tires yet on my Civic but on my GTI I had ExtemeContact DWS and then when I had a bad flat and Discount Tire no longer carried them they gave me a pair of ControlContact Sport A/S. Very similar characteristics so I didn't really lose any performance or ride quality with the new tires.

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How come most people here on this forum were surprised how silent the interior of the Civic X is?
I agree on these Continentals I hear no road noise, I assume the variety of road conditions factors into this conversation

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone have to brake hard at speed? I've had to a few times, and each time its embarrassing. Sounds like a cartoon noise of tires squealing.

I ran Pirelli P7 Cinturatos on my last car, they were great at the beginning but tread life was kinda meh, and they got fairly loud quickly as they began to wear.

I might switch to Contis when the time comes - anyone have a good recommendation for A/S? (Damn snow... :( )
Sponsored