Will installing Dynamat appreciably reduce road & tire noise?

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ST Hatch
Country flag
Have about 800 miles on a new ST Hatch, but road/tire noise is becoming objectionable. What has been your experience with the impact of Dyna mat on road noise? (A search here turned up a lot of info on sound systems, but very little on road noise.)

Also have what I believe is an issue with wind noise at highway speed. Am I gonna have to live with this or is there improvement to be had?
Sponsored

Landdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
So, the dynamat type products will help with preventing metals from vibrating which will help to a degree. To get a greater effect and to achieve the type of quiet ride as say a Bentley, you would need to go a bit further. You would use a closed cell foam product. This will absorb sounds and is really noticeable. https://www.amazon.com/Second-Skin-...pID=51qatgmBZEL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
The last portion is called mass load vinyl and this stuff is pretty heavy, but will help make an even quieter ride. https://www.amazon.com/Loaded-Vinyl...sr=1-1-spons&keywords=mass+loaded+vinyl&psc=1
How far you go depends on your budget and your happiness with each step. Also, the loudest area for road noise according to some pros I've talked to are the wheel wells. Deadening those areas can be challenging, but highly affective. The doors and trunk and wheel wells will be very helpful.

Zadhihusada

First Name
Zakaria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic hatchback
Country flag
So, the dynamat type products will help with preventing metals from vibrating which will help to a degree. To get a greater effect and to achieve the type of quiet ride as say a Bentley, you would need to go a bit further. You would use a closed cell foam product. This will absorb sounds and is really noticeable. https://www.amazon.com/Second-Skin-...pID=51qatgmBZEL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
The last portion is called mass load vinyl and this stuff is pretty heavy, but will help make an even quieter ride. https://www.amazon.com/Loaded-Vinyl...sr=1-1-spons&keywords=mass+loaded+vinyl&psc=1
How far you go depends on your budget and your happiness with each step. Also, the loudest area for road noise according to some pros I've talked to are the wheel wells. Deadening those areas can be challenging, but highly affective. The doors and trunk and wheel wells will be very helpful.
Good day.

I love your input. Thank you.
I m in the process of doing the sound deadening on the floor but having a hard time pulling out the floor carpet.

In your opinion, which one is better?
1. just to cover the wheel well with sound deadening material
2. Just cover the floor with sound deadening material
3. All of the above

thank you for your time and input.
Z

OP
OP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ST Hatch
Country flag
I have the same problem with with a 2018 ST hatch. I installed a product similar to Dynamat and achieved a modest improvement. After living with tire/road noise for a while I think the solution may be different tires. On some road surfaces the factory tires are quiet, on other surfaces they "howl".

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
The factory Conti-Pros will start to emit a very hollow like sound. Different tires will definitely change the sound profile. Otherwise the natural open nature of the hatch is conducive to channeling noise in the car.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same problem with with a 2018 ST hatch. I installed a product similar to Dynamat and achieved a modest improvement. After living with tire/road noise for a while I think the solution may be different tires. On some road surfaces the factory tires are quiet, on other surfaces they "howl".
Yeah, quieter tires will probably makes the biggest difference in the '17-18 hatches. Honda added more sound deadening to the '19 and up refreshed models.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
When you say ST hatch, are you referring to a Focus ST? Just curious as you are posting on an Civic forum. As for Dynamat, it really makes a pretty big difference. Doing the floor, wheel areas, and the doors will cut down road noise immensely. I used Dynamat on the inner area of my doors and then sealed them with the sound mat stuff which is foam and dynamat combined. It made the door speakers sound great but also made the freeway substantially quieter even on the all seasons. Soft summer tires also reduces noise quite a bit though for sure.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
When you say ST hatch, are you referring to a Focus ST? Just curious as you are posting on an Civic forum.
Lol. ST = Sport Touring hatch.

Vrait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
Dynamat with also using MegaZorbe makes a huge difference. I only did my doors and trunk and it helped a lot. I plan on doing my floor in the fall.
Sponsored