MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The silicone vacuum hose thing, that sounds interesting. How would this work? I'm curious because I'm looking into the full shifter and I feel like I would notice this sound that seems very apparent
I'll have to ask permission from the person who has tried this already or he can send them to you, but he sent me a picture of basically a black rubbery item that fits around the spring's end so that it slaps on there with more of a thud/thwack than a clang. There is still a sound, but it seems to integrate more naturally than not. Basically, it's unavoidable to completely eliminate, but perhaps it can be mitigated slightly, which is all that I'm looking for.

The fact that I called it a "squeak" to start with is not a good sign for the kind of sound that I hear. I think after doing this, I won't be calling it a "squeak" any longer, heh.
Sponsored

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
hmm i never paid attention to that sound but i never really slam gears up or down so maybe that's why.
That's the thing though, it's not the slamming that's causing it. It's the natural re-centering. So unless you are applying force to resist its centering tension, the sound should be occurring.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
That's the thing though, it's not the slamming that's causing it. It's the natural re-centering. So unless you are applying force to resist its centering tension, the sound should be occurring.
Hmm I guess I never paid attention or it never bothered me. I have a very quiet exhaust too so I doubt I didnā€™t hear it because of an exhaust or something.

I never really let it spring back into center so maybe thatā€™s why. I guess it can be considered resisting a little bit. Iā€™ll pay a little more attention next time Iā€™m driving it and see.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmm I guess I never paid attention or it never bothered me. I have a very quiet exhaust too so I doubt I didnā€™t hear it because of an exhaust or something.

I never really let it spring back into center so maybe thatā€™s why. I guess it can be considered resisting a little bit. Iā€™ll pay a little more attention next time Iā€™m driving it and see.
Just do what I do in my most recent video (at the 45-second mark), and push it left/right and let go back to center. See if you hear it then.

Maximania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord V6 Coupe SMR, 2018 Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
I'll have to ask permission from the person who has tried this already or he can send them to you, but he sent me a picture of basically a black rubbery item that fits around the spring's end so that it slaps on there with more of a thud/thwack than a clang. There is still a sound, but it seems to integrate more naturally than not. Basically, it's unavoidable to completely eliminate, but perhaps it can be mitigated slightly, which is all that I'm looking for.

The fact that I called it a "squeak" to start with is not a good sign for the kind of sound that I hear. I think after doing this, I won't be calling it a "squeak" any longer, heh.
That makes sense. I wonder what the length and diameter of this hose was that was able to fit around the spring without getting in the way of it functioning

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
That makes sense. I wonder what the length and diameter of this hose was that was able to fit around the spring without getting in the way of it functioning
Maybe some shrink tube?

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's not large, I can guarantee you that. Seems like it shouldn't actually affect anything, but of course I did not engineer the shifter.

Once you see the photo, you'll understand better.

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
@MuffinMcFluffin the noise you have seems normal, but I wonder if using that shift knob (which is pretty heavy) makes the sound more pronounced. In addition a taller knob height is set to the more force it will see when the lever snaps back.

I have experienced any excessive noise, but Iā€™ve been running shift knobs that are half the weight.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@MuffinMcFluffin the noise you have seems normal, but I wonder if using that shift knob (which is pretty heavy) makes the sound more pronounced. In addition a taller knob height is set to the more force it will see when the lever snaps back.

I have experienced any excessive noise, but Iā€™ve been running shift knobs that are half the weight.
I screwed on the original knob last week just to see the difference between weights, and sadly the sound was still there.

The knob height is like on 3 right now. I might set it lower later.

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I screwed on the original knob last week just to see the difference between weights, and sadly the sound was still there.

The knob height is like on 3 right now. I might set it lower later.
Did it improve?
When I shift 2 to 3 I actually let the shifter center itself. I donā€™t recall having that noise issue. Whatā€™s your gate spacing set at?

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did it improve?
When I shift 2 to 3 I actually let the shifter center itself. I donā€™t recall having that noise issue. Whatā€™s your gate spacing set at?
I don't honestly know right now, but everything is pretty middle ground if not slightly edged toward "wider."

You see what happens when I let it center itself, though. It snaps onto that one portion.

The problem with adjusting the gate spacing and such-and-such now means I'd have to rip apart my center console to get there again. Not something that I am looking forward to doing, really...

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't honestly know right now, but everything is pretty middle ground if not slightly edged toward "wider."

You see what happens when I let it center itself, though. It snaps onto that one portion.

The problem with adjusting the gate spacing and such-and-such now means I'd have to rip apart my center console to get there again. Not something that I am looking forward to doing, really...
I donā€™t think think adjust the gate spacing will help, but I would verify everything is tightened up.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
A question for all you guys who are using full short shifter from Acuity. Can we place those electrical cables back to the shifter like a stock shifter base. Does Acuity provided those holes at proper places or do I need to leave them dangling in the center console.

I am asking that because those wires may rattle in the console if not secured