m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
If anyone has the new PTP downpipe elbow blanket please post some thoughts on it. I'm also wondering if you can retain the factory heatshield with this blanket. I think that using this blanket along with reflective heat tape on the intake tubing and heatshield would really help keep the IAT down without the use of a turbo blanket which can lead to hotter coolant temps and possibly oil overheating in the turbo.
Honda Civic 10th gen PTP Downpipe Blanket Reviews da_Civic_FK8_Lava_Downpipe_Elbow_Blanket_540_large
Sponsored

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
I wish this was out when I had did the turbo blanket.
Not sure if this will fit under the heat shield though ..
All I could find was this PTP pic so far
Honda Civic 10th gen PTP Downpipe Blanket Reviews 1592093724221

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
1592093724221.png
Wow, that is the first picture I've seen of one installed. I've only ever seen the full downpipe blanket made for the PRL downpipe. You can tell this one is just the elbow blanket if you look close and also the PTP badge is in a different spot. Looks to be an aftermarket downpipe. It apparently works with stock downpipes. I've read that wrapping/installing a blanket on a cat is a bad idea and can lead to it overheating. I'm interested in installing just this on a stock downpipe to keep temps down.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Wow, that is the first picture I've seen of one installed. I've only ever seen the full downpipe blanket made for the PRL downpipe. You can tell this one is just the elbow blanket if you look close and also the PTP badge is in a different spot. Looks to be an aftermarket downpipe. It apparently works with stock downpipes. I've read that wrapping/installing a blanket on a cat is a bad idea and can lead to it overheating. I'm interested in installing just this on a stock downpipe to keep temps down.
You'd probably want to wrap the FP as well otherwise the heat will radiate from there and possibly soak into the oil pan.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
You'd probably want to wrap the FP as well otherwise the heat will radiate from there and possibly soak into the oil pan.
Yeah, I've contacted DEI and Heatshield Products to see what they'd recommend for sticking onto the oil pan. DEI said to use their Floor and Tunnel shield on the oil pan itself. Heatshield Products says the area doesn't have enough clearance/air gap to use their Heatshield Barrier, so they recommended using their Heatshield Armor on the front pipe itself. Definitely something I'd like to do if already working on the downpipe.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Yeah, I've contacted DEI and Heatshield Products to see what they'd recommend for sticking onto the oil pan. DEI said to use their Floor and Tunnel shield on the oil pan itself. Heatshield Products says the area doesn't have enough clearance/air gap to use their Heatshield Barrier, so they recommended using their Heatshield Armor on the front pipe itself. Definitely something I'd like to do if already working on the downpipe.
DEI told me the same and I have some on order. Do you have a link to what Heatshield recommends? I need something that will go over the FP flex joint.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
DEI told me the same and I have some on order. Do you have a link to what Heatshield recommends? I need something that will go over the FP flex joint.
Nice - every little bit helps and might as well do both while there. Here is the Heatshield Products stuff: https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/heatshield-armor

They did mention to wrap the flex joint with a separate piece of the stuff. They have an installation video in that link that seems pretty helpful.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I don't care for wraps in areas that can get high moisture - once wrapped my downpipe on my Subaru and when I finally took it off years later it had created a ton of rust that wouldn't otherwise have been there.

Reactions: Myx

Fedcopper

First Name
Scottie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
1592093724221.png
This isn't the elbow
1592093724221.png
These are two completely different elbow blankets.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

I tried getting the heatshield on top. It was annoying to get it how I wanted even with the shield that's down by the radiator. So I didn't bother with the top shield. Maybe someone's gotten it on, but it seems like a huge pita

HomieGohan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R | 1999 Civic Hatch NDF Style
Country flag

I tried getting the heatshield on top. It was annoying to get it how I wanted even with the shield that's down by the radiator. So I didn't bother with the top shield. Maybe someone's gotten it on, but it seems like a huge pita
With the PRL piping, shield and PTP blanket - did you notice a drop of temps? Are you running an intercooler as well?

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I noticed better spool but temperatures I didn't get enough time to properly test as I was still experimenting with heat barriers and reflective tape in the engine bay. I put a barrier under my inlet and intake hose, in completely wrapped my aluminum charge pipe and some of its hose. I can say at the last that temps didn't increase

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Idk why do already hot parts need a blanket? blankets are supposed to keep you warm lol

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Idk why do already hot parts need a blanket? blankets are supposed to keep you warm lol
Keeps the heat from radiating throughout the engine bay and heating up other parts. Plus hotter exhaust tends to flow more easily.
Sponsored