Accessory mode kills the battery?

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
Got lucky and found the right battery in the house and replaced it.
Ordered some air filters too and will do those later this week. The dealer wanted so much money for that.
I ordered air filters online today too. Didn't bother going to the dealer, I'm sure they would want a premium price for them. What battery is used in the key fob? Can you buy it at any store?
Sponsored

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm in Ontario Canada and looking at replacement options for my 2018 Hatchback 1.5 Turbo...all Canadian retailers that I've seen list the 51r for battery size. I hope I have a group 35 but Napa, Optima, Canadian Tire and AGM.ca all say 51r for direct replacement to OEM battery for 2018 turbo civic :( I will update if different when I can get an actual look under my hood.
Curious tho..why do you say us turbo drivers north of the border have group 35?
I agree that all the retailers say that. Have you actually measured it. I measured mine and it is not a 51r and has 550CCA.
Don't let them sell you a smaller replacement if you confirm you have a group 35.
Is your battery actually failing?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Civic Fan 2016

Civic Fan 2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic, 2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I ordered air filters online today too. Didn't bother going to the dealer, I'm sure they would want a premium price for them. What battery is used in the key fob? Can you buy it at any store?
CR2032.

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe 6MT
NEVER (and I mean "NEVER" ) get the 51r if you don't have to.
Always opt for the Group 35.
In Philadelphia, it just got pretty cold almost over night.
and for the entire week, my battery hasn't been keeping up to the task.
Luckily, I have a Kinetik HC2000 in the trunk for my stereo, but
If the 51r is too weak to kick the isolator closed, I don't get current from the back.
I had to go out to Harbor Freight for a $80 lithium jump pack.
Which is on sale this weekend for $50.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
What are the odds, I listened to music on accessory mode for 30 mins during my lunch today, didn't start in the afternoon.
I donā€™t know if this is coincidence or not, so when I left work, I got the key fob battery low warning. Really?
I gotta get the fuck out of this thread!!!

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
My Honda Accord had a 51R battery. My '16 LX Civic has a 51R with 410 CCA.

I've noticed that many of the aftermarket 51R batteries have a minimum of 500 CCA.

It would seem that Honda saved some money on a battery with a lower CCA rating. The factory battery in my Accord lasted more than 7 years.

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe 6MT
My Honda Accord had a 51R battery. My '16 LX Civic has a 51R with 410 CCA.

I've noticed that many of the aftermarket 51R batteries have a minimum of 500 CCA.

It would seem that Honda saved some money on a battery with a lower CCA rating. The factory battery in my Accord lasted more than 7 years.
Wow ... that is great of you to point out. I figured something was off about the OEM battery sitting in my '17 Civic.
It works "fine" during the warm months, but in Philadelphia, that's only 6 out of 12 months.
The rest of the year is always 60 degrees Fahrenheit or below.

Bru87tr

I am 1.5yrs on my battery. I have an amp, powered sub and LOC installed. I have listened to my radio in acc for 15min or longer at a pretty good volume and never had a issue.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag

sillyrabbit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
This thread is making me paranoid about my battery because I often make short trips, so I start the car, drive less than 10km, and then turn off the engine. Then I start it again and make another short trip. Lots of startups in a short amount of time is known to drain the battery.

I figured I was fine because my car is only a couple years old, but now I'm concerned.

jbatman1080

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (White Orchid Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I killed my battery by this. Do not leave ur car in accessory mode for too long. Tried to jump it, and everything it just wont come back so i just decided to buy a new battery and then boom starts instantly and smooth. OEM battery did last me 4 years long so.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
if your headlights are in automatic they will sometimes turn on and stay on even in acc mode. Noticed this with the long winters of Northern Canada. May be a good habit to turn your headlights off if you're using acc mode often. Something to consider.

jbatman1080

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (White Orchid Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if your headlights are in automatic they will sometimes turn on and stay on even in acc mode. Noticed this with the long winters of Northern Canada. May be a good habit to turn your headlights off if you're using acc mode often. Something to consider.
Yup! Thatā€™s how my battery died i think. All the lights started twitching including DLR ??

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My local town is offering free drive-in movies at local fields to keep everyone entertained during the pandemic. I know the civic battery is weak so once we parked, I turned off the car and didnā€™t turn it on to accessory mode (one button push) for the audio until the movie started. I also ensured the lights were off and not on auto. As someone else said, the vehicle automatically turned off in the middle of the movie after whatever the predetermined amount of time is.

At the end of the movie, the lights in the vehicle were still working. Headlights still worked. Tried to turn it on and bupkis. Turned off everything and tried again and nothing. Thankfully, had my battery pack in my trunk. Jumped it no problem. Fun fact? The guy next to me, also in a 10th gen civic had a dead battery. Luckily my battery pack still had enough charge to jump his vehicle too.

The movie was Onward (the kids were along for the ride obviously) so it wasnā€™t exactly as long as the Ten Commandments.

I bring this all up also because about a month ago, when I tried flashing a new tune, the car died in the middle of the flash. It was in accessory mode for what, 10 minutes, tops?

I have a ā€˜16 that I purchased in ā€˜17 so I guess Iā€™m coming up on that shortend of the 3-5 year lifespan Of the battery. Looking into replacements.

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
My local town is offering free drive-in movies at local fields to keep everyone entertained during the pandemic. I know the civic battery is weak so once we parked, I turned off the car and didnā€™t turn it on to accessory mode (one button push) for the audio until the movie started. I also ensured the lights were off and not on auto. As someone else said, the vehicle automatically turned off in the middle of the movie after whatever the predetermined amount of time is.

At the end of the movie, the lights in the vehicle were still working. Headlights still worked. Tried to turn it on and bupkis. Turned off everything and tried again and nothing. Thankfully, had my battery pack in my trunk. Jumped it no problem. Fun fact? The guy next to me, also in a 10th gen civic had a dead battery. Luckily my battery pack still had enough charge to jump his vehicle too.

The movie was Onward (the kids were along for the ride obviously) so it wasnā€™t exactly as long as the Ten Commandments.

I bring this all up also because about a month ago, when I tried flashing a new tune, the car died in the middle of the flash. It was in accessory mode for what, 10 minutes, tops?

I have a ā€˜16 that I purchased in ā€˜17 so I guess Iā€™m coming up on that shortend of the 3-5 year lifespan Of the battery. Looking into replacements.
I've gotten used to the time in the battery and I don't know how another battery would affect the car. Also, Honda has some battery replacement warranty system where they can pay for your next battery in full for about 3 years if you buy a genuine battery first.

Honda Civic 10th gen Accessory mode kills the battery? Screenshot 2020-06-10 at 04.52.00
Sponsored