PERRIN Intercooler for the Type-R (Test Results Inside)

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nothing at all... the issue is the height of the core.... bumper metal brace is gettin in d way
I know with the JDM it has the same issue. Hks instructions showed them remove it, then put the intercooler on, then put the brace back on. Not sure if that would work for you or not

NarsBaller

First Name
Japs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
I know with the JDM it has the same issue. Hks instructions showed them remove it, then put the intercooler on, then put the brace back on. Not sure if that would work for you or not
these 2 metals are issues... australia spec comes with sensor and stuff as you can see underneath the main bumper brace where it is attached.
Honda Civic 10th gen PERRIN Intercooler for the Type-R (Test Results Inside) A45CDF72-8EE6-45B6-8A27-789D032AEAD1

NarsBaller

First Name
Japs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
And this is the height clearance before it hits the bumper frame. Stock IC in pic for reference.
Honda Civic 10th gen PERRIN Intercooler for the Type-R (Test Results Inside) 0435DD5F-8793-4465-BCAF-2BAB9B83110B

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
NarsBaller, probably not worth it but maybe you could get a North American aluminum bumper off a part out?

NarsBaller

First Name
Japs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
NarsBaller, probably not worth it but maybe you could get a North American aluminum bumper off a part out?
Im just gonna return the intercooler and get HKS instead. I want to keep the safety features in our bumpers. I just got this Perrin as it was on a good deal but my first option really was HKS. So I guess this one is goin back to the seller.

MrM04

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Civic Type R, Scion xD, (Two Wheels 14' ZX6R)
Country flag
Let me get this straight. With this Intercooler because it keeps temps so good, the ecu drops boost for the sake of it not needed it? Or at least that might be how it was built to do? If this is the case for a simple blot on for the sake of preventing heat soak, should a daily driver worry about that? Just for clarity your turbo is not creating as much boost but then you have to worry about the catch up boost I guess? With that dip that happens on a untuned car. Am I interpreting that correctly? Looking for some rebuke here if I am not

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Let me get this straight. With this Intercooler because it keeps temps so good, the ecu drops boost for the sake of it not needed it? Or at least that might be how it was built to do? If this is the case for a simple blot on for the sake of preventing heat soak, should a daily driver worry about that? Just for clarity your turbo is not creating as much boost but then you have to worry about the catch up boost I guess? With that dip that happens on a untuned car. Am I interpreting that correctly? Looking for some rebuke here if I am not
The ECU controls how much boost to create based on a number of factors. MAF readings and air temps are two major ones, but the intake temps are another as well. If the intake temps are too high (especially compared to ambient) it will reduce boost and thus torque and power. If not, it will set the boost to achieve a pre-set torque target to hit. So if you're at a lower altitude or lower ambient temps (which cause denser air) the ECU will actually pull boost to achieve the same amount of torque/power while in higher altitudes or hotter conditions it'll increase boost. The exception of course is if your intake temps are higher, in which case it will also pull boost to avoid overheating the motor. These higher intake temps are normally caused by the intercooler getting heat soaked.

For a daily driver, sitting around in idle in traffic will cause the stock intercooler to heat soak pretty readily. Even driving around in traffic at a steady 50-ish MPH has caused it in my experiences. The PRL is able to absorb more heat before completely soaking which means the heat soak doesn't happen as quickly, but eventually will. If this eventually is longer than the drive itself, the driver will never experience it, which has been my experience with the intercooler. If I'm not mistaken a lot of intercooler manufacturers have noted that the car will lose upwards of 20-25 WHP with the intercooler heat soaked (this can happen after as little as 3 pulls). This is about 8% power loss caused by the ECU cutting power.

However, if you go over to a track scenario, then this intercooler will soak and have issues letting go of the heat. This is even when compared to the stock intercooler which tends to do better on a track scenario (thus why HPD runs a stock intercooler on their TC race car). For track use, other heat issues plague the FK8, but the intercooler isn't the huge factor (though there are some better intercooler designs for track use, you likely wouldn't want to use them for the street).

MrM04

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Civic Type R, Scion xD, (Two Wheels 14' ZX6R)
Country flag
The ECU controls how much boost to create based on a number of factors. MAF readings and air temps are two major ones, but the intake temps are another as well. If the intake temps are too high (especially compared to ambient) it will reduce boost and thus torque and power. If not, it will set the boost to achieve a pre-set torque target to hit. So if you're at a lower altitude or lower ambient temps (which cause denser air) the ECU will actually pull boost to achieve the same amount of torque/power while in higher altitudes or hotter conditions it'll increase boost. The exception of course is if your intake temps are higher, in which case it will also pull boost to avoid overheating the motor. These higher intake temps are normally caused by the intercooler getting heat soaked.

For a daily driver, sitting around in idle in traffic will cause the stock intercooler to heat soak pretty readily. Even driving around in traffic at a steady 50-ish MPH has caused it in my experiences. The PRL is able to absorb more heat before completely soaking which means the heat soak doesn't happen as quickly, but eventually will. If this eventually is longer than the drive itself, the driver will never experience it, which has been my experience with the intercooler. If I'm not mistaken a lot of intercooler manufacturers have noted that the car will lose upwards of 20-25 WHP with the intercooler heat soaked (this can happen after as little as 3 pulls). This is about 8% power loss caused by the ECU cutting power.

However, if you go over to a track scenario, then this intercooler will soak and have issues letting go of the heat. This is even when compared to the stock intercooler which tends to do better on a track scenario (thus why HPD runs a stock intercooler on their TC race car). For track use, other heat issues plague the FK8, but the intercooler isn't the huge factor (though there are some better intercooler designs for track use, you likely wouldn't want to use them for the street).
Thanks for the response. My biggest goal is to make the car perform as expected every time. Looking into getting intercooler pipes coated with ceramic to help with heat soak. More power is cool , but reliability is better.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Thanks for the response. My biggest goal is to make the car perform as expected every time. Looking into getting intercooler pipes coated with ceramic to help with heat soak. More power is cool , but reliability is better.
A new intercooler does change the response of the car, so what's expected will change, but it'll end up like that more or less every time unless the temps really rise. I don't know if ceramic coating the tubes would help as that might work more as a insulator than it does anything else. I could be wrong on that though.

xdecemberguy

First Name
Randrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I love this intercooler on my Type R. Looks good, great quality, and works well.