19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Did two sessions at VIR on Saturday and called a day. The Honda Civic Type R is selling tomorrow... Have a deposit on a fully race-prepped Mini. My mistake - I found out that when I'm on a race track I want to be in a race car. And I'm old and I want the car to tell me what it wants not the other way around... I'll never regret a moment I spent driving it but it just ain't the car for me.
Interesting as I just sold my 89 944 turbo S track car that I had at VIR a bunch of times.
I'm no spring chicken either and loading up the track car and all the stuff to go to the track on my featherlight trailer just got to be too much.
So l sold it all, and bought my 2019 CTR to replace my Tundra and go to the track once in awhile. Of coarse I haven't been yet because of covid 19 What didn't you like about the CTR on the track?? I know someone that did 1,57 at VIR in a slightly modded CTR.......that's insane lap time at VIR!!
Sponsored

OP
OP

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2015 Silverado, 2007 Rabbit
Country flag
I'll take a guess - eats tires and overheats. Also not caged.
Eats tires = no not really - I mean 10, 15, 20 track sessions shouldn't be eating a set of tires unless you are over-driving it or not monitoring tire temps.
Overheats = no not a bit - you can see my (several) other posts about that
Not caged = BINGO!

I want a race car to be visceral.
I want a race car to look, feel, smell like a race car.
I want a race car to be just that little tiny bit shabby enough that I don't care about rubber clag marks on the paint job.
I want to feel like running 10/10th and wringing the sh*& out of it and not feeling bad.

Again - just me...

The Type R is an amazing car.
I don't regret a single moment (well a few) of the time I have owned it.
It just isn't the car for me.

Yeah - it is an amazing boy-racer, show stopping, strangers taking pictures of it car.
And in there lies the trouble it is simply too nice to destroy it.

I'm not rich - I'm not poor either.
To turn a Type R into a race car would be a huge very foolish waste of time and money.
Either buy a used true CTR Class car that is already been sorted or buy another car.

I could go on for hours here...

And last - I do actually stand by my original take on this car:
It should come with an Electronics Intrusiveness selector.
And - IMO the steering outside of R Mode is squirrely as fu%$.

THANKS ALL!
It's been a heck of a ride.

Last edited:
OP
OP

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Interesting as I just sold my 89 944 turbo S track car that I had at VIR a bunch of times.
I'm no spring chicken either and loading up the track car and all the stuff to go to the track on my featherlight trailer just got to be too much.
So l sold it all, and bought my 2019 CTR to replace my Tundra and go to the track once in awhile. Of coarse I haven't been yet because of covid 19 What didn't you like about the CTR on the track?? I know someone that did 1,57 at VIR in a slightly modded CTR.......that's insane lap time at VIR!!
I can certainly understand that.
Yep - the trailer thing is a huge PITA.
It was much my reasoning as well - but - nothing like having a [lockable] home base in your tow vehicle. Not a huge fan of my pile of "stuff" sitting in the paddock under the pop-up in the sun, rain, cold, 100+ degrees...
Such a two-edged sword.

Not sure I can add much to my thoughts on the R on track other than what I mentioned in the post above.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can certainly understand that.
Yep - the trailer thing is a huge PITA.
It was much my reasoning as well - but - nothing like having a [lockable] home base in your tow vehicle. Not a huge fan of my pile of "stuff" sitting in the paddock under the pop-up in the sun, rain, cold, 100+ degrees...
Such a two-edged sword.

Not sure I can add much to my thoughts on the R on track other than what I mentioned in the post above.
OK thanks, I locked everthing in the back of my Tundra. My track cars were totally stripped for weight savings...........hot! hot! on those summer days. This would be my first time on the track with a front wheel drive car
Did you have issues with understeer?? Did you run your CTR completely stock??thanks

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Did two sessions at VIR on Saturday and called a day. The Honda Civic Type R is selling tomorrow... Have a deposit on a fully race-prepped Mini. My mistake - I found out that when I'm on a race track I want to be in a race car. And I'm old and I want the car to tell me what it wants not the other way around... I'll never regret a moment I spent driving it but it just ain't the car for me.
Mini’s are tons of fun as well. I don’t miss mine after the Type R but glad there’s a vehicle for everyone. The Mini gave me so many headaches but was a pleasure to drive, just wanted a car to just be reliable. Enjoy, looks like they worked the kinks out after the R56, which was a nightmare.

OP
OP

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OK thanks, I locked everthing in the back of my Tundra. My track cars were totally stripped for weight savings...........hot! hot! on those summer days. This would be my first time on the track with a front wheel drive car
Did you have issues with understeer?? Did you run your CTR completely stock??thanks
Only real change was the upgrade on wheels and tires.
I would imagine the stock 20" stuff would be a total disaster at the track.
[Just IMO]

I got some understeer issues at VIR but that was because I was driving like an ass and coming to turn 1 way too fast and way too late.

They really have got the FWD all sorted out.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Only real change was the upgrade on wheels and tires.
I would imagine the stock 20" stuff would be a total disaster at the track.
[Just IMO]

I got some understeer issues at VIR but that was because I was driving like an ass and coming to turn 1 way too fast and way too late.

They really have got the FWD all sorted out.
Yes have heard stock tires don't last long
I've been looking for light weight 19" and close to 60mm offset as possible to help with torque steer. Heard also that brake pad upgrade helps. Have you seen Jim Pace youtube on how he goes around VIR
I Like his approach

OP
OP

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'll check out the video thanks.
It will be a long time before I'm back at VIR again.
Looks like AMP mid-July to give the Mini a shake-down run.
Assuming all goes well there it gets dropped off for a full cage on the way home.

I went with 18X9.5 5-120 deliberately staying as close to stock offset etc. as I could possibly get.
265/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Pretty amazing setup really.

[Just IMO but even 19's are pushing your luck on our horrible SC roads...]

Where is SC are you anyway?
Anderson here...

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'll check out the video thanks.
It will be a long time before I'm back at VIR again.
Looks like AMP mid-July to give the Mini a shake-down run.
Assuming all goes well there it gets dropped off for a full cage on the way home.

I went with 18X9.5 5-120 deliberately staying as close to stock offset etc. as I could possibly get.
265/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Pretty amazing setup really.

[Just IMO but even 19's are pushing your luck on our horrible SC roads...]

Where is SC are you anyway?
Anderson here...
I'll see what I can find in that size for my CTR
Thanks for that info. I'm iching to get my CTR out on the track. It should be interesting to compare it to my previous totally prepared Porches 944 track cars that I've had. I've been to AMP a few times, just love those blind hills!! I also do CMP and Roebling and once in a blue moon Barber. I ran Toyo R888R on my 944's great track tire. I would probably go with those on my CTR I live in Chapin SC just outside of Columbia
Pic is me at AMP

Last edited:

OP
OP

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I need to get to CMP maybe even a SCCA Track Night event. I hear good things about it. I actually liked the RA1 over the 888's and I know the spec and series folks went back to the RA1 over the 888s.

I look forward to having R compounds again. And slicks for the first time no less!

IMO: Neither of those is "safe" for driving home from an event in a storm. Heck the Pilot Sport 4S I'd be looking for a place to stop for a bit or back roads maybe?

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I need to get to CMP maybe even a SCCA Track Night event. I hear good things about it. I actually liked the RA1 over the 888's and I know the spec and series folks went back to the RA1 over the 888s.

I look forward to having R compounds again. And slicks for the first time no less!

IMO: Neither of those is "safe" for driving home from an event in a storm. Heck the Pilot Sport 4S I'd be looking for a place to stop for a bit or back roads maybe?

Just be aware, CMP is hard on your tires! Ive heard they are putting lots of money into the track ( it needs it) just not sure when the repaveng will be done. Yes a nice technical track. Roebling is great for track car shake down. I ran with the RA1's great tire/Street tire. Because I trailered my track car I could get a more dedicated track tire. I don't drive my CTR very much (4k miles per year) I might take a chance on the Toyo R888R and have some fun on the way to the track if it rains : )
Sponsored