LED strips under dash

16Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Hey!

I am thinking about installing some strips of blue LEDs under the dash, I've seen this as an option on more luxurious cars and if done in a subtle way (no bling bling), it can add a very classy touch to the interior at night.

The 12v 'cigarette lighter' outlet is switched (no power when the car is off) so this seems to be the perfect source of 12v juice, but I would prefer to solder wires instead of using the typical 12v lighter plug.

I am not going to disassemble the dash to access the back of the 12v jack, but in the photos (I don't have my car yet, pickup next week) it seems like the 12v jack can be pulled from the dash..

Anyways, if you know of a better way (fuse box?) or a more accessible source of 12v, please let me know!

Thanks!
Sponsored

Jay Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
Im also getting mine on Tuesday!! They already received the car but they have to install my aero kit

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Any update on the under-dash lighting?
I bought the oem Honda ambient lighting kit and had someone help me install it since you have to take apart a lot of pieces of the dash.

If I were to do it again, or if I were to do it by myself, I would try this: https://amzn.com/B00OU5LOT2

I've had that saved in my list for a while, and gives your multiple options on how to install it (fuse or 12v).

sunnysunday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ex-t 2016
Country flag
All you need is an add a fuse adapter and a 10volt fuse.

Just make sure the add a fuse adapter you buy is for low profile fuses. Also be sure the fuses you buy are also low profile.

Tap into the fuse box beneath the steering wheel and to your left and the led strips will connect to the other end of the fuse tap. You can ground to anything that is metal.

I lit up all me foot wells and also did the glove box. Eventually I'd love to do something with the cup holders/armrest console

CBR600F4i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
I bought the oem Honda ambient lighting kit and had someone help me install it since you have to take apart a lot of pieces of the dash.

If I were to do it again, or if I were to do it by myself, I would try this: https://amzn.com/B00OU5LOT2

I've had that saved in my list for a while, and gives your multiple options on how to install it (fuse or 12v).
I went for this option and found that it worked great. Just installed it last night. We'll see how long it lasts I suppose but from the get-go everything you need is provided and easy to understand and install.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I went for this option and found that it worked great. Just installed it last night. We'll see how long it lasts I suppose but from the get-go everything you need is provided and easy to understand and install.
That's great to know! I'm kinda wishing I went with that route. Oh well, glad to know it worked great though in cases want to switch in the future.

CBR600F4i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
I'll post some pics when I get a chance. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is what to do with all the extra extension cable I was provided. They provide 10 feet of extension cable for each of the 4 LED light strips so that's about 38 feet of cable I don't need and don't know what to do with. I tried stuffing/hiding it in back area of the console, but still not as tidy as I want it to be. Maybe I'll think of something.

SoonerinFL

BOOMER!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T and 2016 Acura TLX Base
Which fused did you tap into?

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
Those are the tap fuse. I have one. I just have not yet installed it. I thought you did one. Well, I guess I have to research some more.
I got some for my auto dim mirror, just have to wire it up...going to be 95+ tomorrow and have a wedding to go to, so probably won't be doing it tomorrow...it gets way too hot in the garage! :)

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a tap fuse with 2 slots? I installed a dash cam and hard wired it to the fuse box with the a/c fuse. I'm sure that would work also. Maybe even the daytime running light?

Which fused did you tap into?
Sponsored