Michelin pilot sport A/S 3+ is Harsher than stock?

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Hi All,

may be I am unlucky or Costco cannot properly balance my wheels. I regret getting Michelins now and would have stick to those good years. My tires were rebalanced almost 4 times by two different Costco centers and one time by Firestone.

my car still vibrates at 72 to 75 mph speed. I am fed up with rebalancing the wheels multiple times within 800miles on brand new set.

May be I got tires from bad batch. I contacted Michelin and they mentioned to get my tires inspected to claim warranty on them. it's not even 40days old. Today I am heading to Costco again to claim for warranty or 60day satisfaction guarantee. Fingers crossed?
Sponsored

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Ouch. I just purchased a set of those that will be installed this weekend from discount tire. I'll let you know if I have a similar experience. They seem very highly reviewed so it's hard to believe this would be a common issue

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ouch. I just purchased a set of those that will be installed this weekend from discount tire. I'll let you know if have a similar experience. They seem very highly reviewed so it's hard to believe this would be a common issue
May be my tires are from bad batch who knows

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you rotated the wheels/tires to a different location on the vehicle?
It may be an issue with the car itself if the vibrations don’t move to the new location with the tires.
Maybe also try a dedicated tire shop to balance. Costco is decent, but can’t hurt to go to a tire shop proper if you’re still having problems.
Or you just have to drive over 75mph...
Kidding.

brownman

Driving a car in the land of the truck
First Name
eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic lx sedan
Country flag
for bigger trucks with 35in tires or bigger we use self balancing bead bags and work terrific without any stick on weights or clamp ons. This may be an option but Michelin should warranty the tires if they cannot balance.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I got a set of them last summer and they've been nothing but excellent. Balanced perfectly on the first try with minimal weights on every wheel.

I've been up to 120 on a closed course and did not have any vibrations.

I think you've got incompetent employees, an out-of-calibration or poor quality balancer, or defective tires.

brownman

Driving a car in the land of the truck
First Name
eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic lx sedan
Country flag
aftermarket wheels without hub rings?

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Have you rotated the wheels/tires to a different location on the vehicle?
It may be an issue with the car itself if the vibrations don’t move to the new location with the tires.
Maybe also try a dedicated tire shop to balance. Costco is decent, but can’t hurt to go to a tire shop proper if you’re still having problems.
Or you just have to drive over 75mph...
Kidding.
I got 4 tires at a time and I don't see any point to rotate the wheels within 900miles

Corrupt

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
135, Element, Tracker
Country flag
Hi All,

may be I am unlucky or Costco cannot properly balance my wheels. I regret getting Michelins now and would have stick to those good years. My tires were rebalanced almost 4 times by two different Costco centers and one time by Firestone.

my car still vibrates at 72 to 75 mph speed. I am fed up with rebalancing the wheels multiple times within 800miles on brand new set.

May be I got tires from bad batch. I contacted Michelin and they mentioned to get my tires inspected to claim warranty on them. it's not even 40days old. Today I am heading to Costco again to claim for warranty or 60day satisfaction guarantee. Fingers crossed?
I had a similar problem with some Michelin on a mustang between 52-55 mph. I ended up having Ford take it to a sped shop and get the tires balanced on the vehicle. To this day I don't buy Michelin tires. Just wanted you to know some one else had the same problem, it not your imagination

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
It occurs to me that if they didn't line up the heaviest part of the tire with the lightest part of the wheel upon the initial mount, any balancing and re-balancing attempts would probably not succeed.

I doubt anyone unmounted and re-mounted the tires any of the times they re-balanced them.

I have heard of this happening before.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Have you tried getting these properly road forced balanced? Not sure if those shops do or have the proper knowledge to do this correctly. I had a troubled set that would just not balance correct a few times from two different shops. Then I finally went to a very reputable shop that had their owner do the road force balance and that solved it for me. Road force balancing also involves them moving the tire around on the wheel to get the most ideal spot. Sometimes they get lucky and it's on the spot already, but if not then the tech needs to dismount and rotate. There's a lot of extra labor and time for this, that's why it's more expensive and time consuming. I won't go with another type of balancing again though, it's worth it. This local shop only charged me $80 my last go around with my 19" HFP wheels- guy is a pro and has a plastic/touchless tire dismount and mounter too.

I know you definitely could have had a bad tire from the start, that is possible. Warranty claim on that might be tricky but I'm sure they'd take care of you.

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
update: Costco is saying that they won't be recommending the same set of tires again as it can cause the same problem since the stock tires are goodyears for the Si may be Michelins are not suitable ?

He is saying that to go to different store and get different brand like continental which are second best all seasons and Costco doesn't carry those. Get these tires back and he can refund the cost excluding installation charges. So I would loose $80 appx ?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
update: Costco is saying that they won't be recommending the same set of tires again as it can cause the same problem since the stock tires are goodyears for the Si may be Michelins are not suitable ?

He is saying that to go to different store and get different brand like continental which are second best all seasons and Costco doesn't carry those. Get these tires back and he can refund the cost excluding installation charges. So I would loose $80 appx ?
Hullabaloo. The Honda recommended tire for the HFP kit is a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

There's a reason Costco tire frequently has a 3 star review average or less. They aren't much better than Walmart with regards to the quality of their technicians.

I think they mounted them wrong, making a good balance impossible.
Sponsored