Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As @Lust has mentioned, for us who’ve tracked, believe us when we say it’s going To overheat lol. There’s no magic sauce they’ve added that is going to stop overheating.

Higher flowing grill? Can’t evacuate enough heat.

More efficient radiator? Just prolongs the time before heat soak.

HKS/GReddy/USR oil cooler? Will just help the car bring temps down during your cool down lap.

Vented hood? Probably the most useful item in helping major heat escape (needs vent straight above the turbo for most efficiency.)

Add all of the above solutions? In any weather greater than 75-80F, depending on the track you’ll maybe get 1/2 - 2/3 session before you experience overheating (If you’re going 9/10-10/10’s as I always do lol)
Sponsored

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
As @Lust has mentioned, for us who’ve tracked, believe us when we say it’s going To overheat lol. There’s no magic sauce they’ve added that is going to stop overheating.

Higher flowing grill? Can’t evacuate enough heat.

More efficient radiator? Just prolongs the time before heat soak.

HKS/GReddy/USR oil cooler? Will just help the car bring temps down during your cool down lap.

Vented hood? Probably the most useful item in helping major heat escape (needs vent straight above the turbo for most efficiency.)

Add all of the above solutions? In any weather greater than 75-80F, depending on the track you’ll maybe get 1/2 - 2/3 session before you experience overheating (If you’re going 9/10-10/10’s as I always do lol)
Well, that’s disappointing. I picked my 2020 up yesterday. I guess I’m going to have to be ok with it just being a phenomenal road car. I was wanting to track it next season though.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Well, that’s disappointing. I picked my 2020 up yesterday. I guess I’m going to have to be ok with it just being a phenomenal road car. I was wanting to track it next season though.
The good news is that there is a wealth of information about what has and hasn't worked with the car over the past few years. So you do have a full season to prep your car for it :p

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
It is possible that airflow had to be reduced from the Fk2 to the Fk8 to meet mpg and aero requirements. I'm a little surprised to hear that oil coolers aren't helping much. It seems like a dual oil cooler setup replacing both of the fake vents should add sufficient cooling.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
By all means, you should totally still track your car, get a feeling for it yourself, and get your own experiences with it. I’m just saying for those who are pushing 10/10th going for PB’s and class wins, the car will overheat. Granted, most of us who are at that level are also tuned and with power adders. Stock tune makes a lot less heat, and won’t rise in temps so quickly.

I’ve got a Koyo and acuity reverse flow hoses waiting to be installed, so I’m hoping to gather some on track data soon and report back on how much those help.

I ran Buttonwillow back in December and ran the first two morning sessions without much drama, but after 7 laps, I had to do a cool down lap. With the heater on full blast, the temps dropped from 3/4 to nominal in less than 1 lap.

elmoTK

R-00272
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW '17 CTR, '07 TSX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Congrats. You got most of the Honda cooling mods already. You should still track it.

JimmyCricket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK* Type R
Country flag
I would say there are no FK2's here in the US tracking our style of tracks. Lots of short acceleration and braking. Speeds that don't last very long over 100mph = less air flow time. Likewise the engineers may never have overheated while testing the FK8 in Europe. Longer tracks. Speeds are higher for longer. Bring an FK2 here to the states and drive our tracks and it will probably overheat as well. It is the same motor. If anything, Honda would add improvements to the motor and chassis. Not regress.
It would've been impossible for the engineers not to overheat the FK8 in Europe unless they tested in mid winter!!

Frantic_FK8

First Name
Antoine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, 240sx
Country flag
Is water wetter worth using with the OEM cooling system? I know the paperwork that comes with the Koyos that I have in my other cars recommends to not use it.

My FK8 is my daily/ family car but I would like to do 2 or more track days a year and want to try to mitigate the overheating by doing the easier “fixes”. Currently, I’m not considering doing an after market radiator or oil cooler but will be switching to the 2020 grill and maybe cutting the bumper vents as well. Should I go ahead and add water wetter as well?
Any feedback is appreciated!

Also, do not want to thread jack but I did not want to start a new thread for this.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag

Frantic_FK8

First Name
Antoine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, 240sx
Country flag
Thanks for the recommendation. I was originally going to go with that but decided to go with the 2020 to try and maintain the OEM fit and finish. That grill definitely looks awesome and functional though.

REC13

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1999 Integra gsr, 2014 Mustang GT
Country flag
Are the Acuity super cool reverse flow hoses not worth buying? Or is that a money grab on their part?
Sponsored