First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si & 2016 Honda Fit
Country flag
Yo, was he even in sport mode? I demand a re-do :rant:
THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT! I was thinking I swear he's not in sport mode but I chose not to say anything because I knew one of you guys would confirm my suspicion!

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT! I was thinking I swear he's not in sport mode but I chose not to say anything because I knew one of you guys would confirm my suspicion!
Haha, it's especially ironic considering his main complaint after the lap seemed to be how soft the suspension felt :doh:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I've driven a Type R, and it's no contest. 0 to about 30 they are not that far apart, but between 3000 to 7000 RPM...holy crap! It becomes a monster. It has so much power that when I was in 4th gear I kept thinking I was in 3rd and kept trying to up shift! Here is a good video on what the Type R can do and why it's probably the fastest FWD car all around

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Type R is a monster when that turbo is in boost. It pulls and pulls and pulls like a freight train without brakes all the way to redline, until you shift up and do it all over again. It's honestly amazing. And the grip that car has is unreal. Although, little shocking how the 2020 turned in a slower lap time than the pre 2020.

BUT!

The Si a little more livable, little more comfortable for every day usage. You guys with Sis shouldn't feel bad that you don't have a Type R - the Si is an amazing car, and the Si and Type R are both examples of why Honda is known for making some of the best fun driver-centric cars for not a lot of cash.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Type R is a monster when that turbo is in boost. It pulls and pulls and pulls like a freight train without brakes all the way to redline, until you shift up and do it all over again. It's honestly amazing. And the grip that car has is unreal. Although, little shocking how the 2020 turned in a slower lap time than the pre 2020.

BUT!

The Si a little more livable, little more comfortable for every day usage. You guys with Sis shouldn't feel bad that you don't have a Type R - the Si is an amazing car, and the Si and Type R are both examples of why Honda is known for making some of the best fun driver-centric cars for not a lot of cash.
My friend @TypeSiR who's R I drove went to 18" tires, which makes the car totally liveable. Less road noise and softer road feel. He probably gave up some grip, but he doesn't track the car and you still have great grip on the twisties

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My friend @TypeSiR who's R I drove went to 18" tires, which makes the car totally liveable. Less road noise and softer road feel. He probably gave up some grip, but he doesn't track the car and you still have great grip on the twisties
That's what I probably plan on doing lol, still wish I had a sunroof and heated seats (and Honda Sensing/Lanewatch)...:(

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's what I probably plan on doing lol, still wish I had a sunroof and heated seats (and Honda Sensing/Lanewatch)...:(
The Sunroof, yes. I had heated seats in my Si and never used them (although living in CA could be a reason). I have Heated/cooling seats in my IS350, never use the feature. I'm not a big fan of modern tech, especially stuff like lane sensing/crash mitigation and always turn them off in rentals, although I did like lane watch in the Si. I like old fashion instrument gages and hate that digital crap. Just give me a decent backup camera and I'm happy.

You'll definitely be happier with 18" including saving a bundle of money and they don't wear out as fast. I had heard about the harsh ride but was surprised how smooth and quiet it was although we were on not the best roads. Handling was excellent on the twisted road we were on. If I had a Type R I would save the 20" for track day and do my everyday driving on 18"

Hey man, just step on the gas, take her to 7K and you will be as right as rain again

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You'll definitely be happier with 18" including saving a bundle of money and they don't wear out as fast. I had heard about the harsh ride but was surprised how smooth and quiet it was although we were on not the best roads. Handling was excellent on the twisted road we were on. If I had a Type R I would save the 20" for track day and do my everyday driving on 18"

Hey man, just step on the gas, take her to 7K and you will be as right as rain again
I agree, the additional comfort on 18s is what is likely going to cause me to switch. Living in PA, our roads here range from OK to horrendously terrible, and most of them fall more on the terrible side. Shockingly I haven't blown a wheel or tire yet with all the potholes I've hit, but smoothing out the ride will help my already terrible back I'd hope.

Running to 7K only works when I'm in 2nd or higher because it's USELESS in 1st :p

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree, the additional comfort on 18s is what is likely going to cause me to switch. Living in PA, our roads here range from OK to horrendously terrible, and most of them fall more on the terrible side. Shockingly I haven't blown a wheel or tire yet with all the potholes I've hit, but smoothing out the ride will help my already terrible back I'd hope.

Running to 7K only works when I'm in 2nd or higher because it's USELESS in 1st :p
Oh yeah, first gear is basically a launch gear. Getting in and out of first gear will either make or break a race. Earlier this year a Veloster N lost to my IS350 from a freeway entrance light that ends in one lane he jumped. He claimed a mishift (I think I can beat a Veloster N off the line even with the best shifting), which is possible because he lost that one pretty badly

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Yep, no sport mode and it looked like traction control not disabled. We all know it cuts power which would explain the significant understeer he was describing in both cars on power out of corners.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
It was a great watch. A few things I noticed. Fully disabling TC (pedal dance) makes a huge difference in this car, both for drag races and track. He was able to shave off a second and a half in the 2020 Si vs the 2017 Si (which didn't use the pedal dance), which is a huge difference in such a small track. Putting it in Sport mode could have probably shaved off another 2/10 of a second or so. Still it was faster than a lot of cars I wasn't expecting it to beat. Impressive.
Sponsored