Is "Honda FK8 Civic Type R Product Reviews Group" a SCAM??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
That's was your Lambo? It seemed like he was trying to get everyone to believe it was his :p
Not mine, I was just calling him “Aston post my lambo” as a joke he always had it in his photos

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
......... and.... there goes my resistance to posting something. Alright time to chime in.

I joined this forum a little more than a year ago (I think it was around the same time I was looking to buy my CTR). Kept stumbling onto this guy, with the screen name, "CTRMOFO", and his review threads.

So anyways, I'm hanging out on the forum and every once in awhile I'll see this new "review'" thread pop up from CTRMOFO. While some of them were useful, most if not all, of the posts were written in a format intended for him to flaunt his wealth. At some point, I got annoyed and called him out (I think it must've been the 1000th picture of his Lambo that became the tipping point). We went through the typical internet jabbing. "Your mom is fat. You don't know how to drive.... bla bla bla". This exchange actually proved quite useful because it was through this process that I was able to deduce that he was full of shit.

.... and there's A LOT of SHIT. So... I think I'll just bullet point this part:
- The guy claims he has a ton of track experience but doesn't post anything remotely resembling a track.
- He claims he's rich but drives a old ass lambo and lives in what I think is Ohio?
- It seems like his reviews are bullshit because he will basically recommend your product if you give it to him for free. The opposite is also true where he will down rate your products if you reject his advances. In other words, this whole "I am a professional product reviewer" is just a hoax to get free parts for his car.
- He started the reviews page on FB and has several underlings which "work" under him
- The fb page is merely an extension of what he pulls here on this forum

So I guess to answer the OP's question. It is 100% a scam.

While it doesn't operate in the traditional sense of what a scam is, in their quest for free parts, they have misinformed and thus misdirected many CTR owners towards products which were either inferior or unnecessary.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
......... and.... there goes my resistance to posting something. Alright time to chime in.

I joined this forum a little more than a year ago (I think it was around the same time I was looking to buy my CTR). Kept stumbling onto this guy, with the screen name, "CTRMOFO", and his review threads.

So anyways, I'm hanging out on the forum and every once in awhile I'll see this new "review'" thread pop up from CTRMOFO. While some of them were useful, most if not all, of the posts were written in a format intended for him to flaunt his wealth. At some point, I got annoyed and called him out (I think it must've been the 1000th picture of his Lambo that became the tipping point). We went through the typical internet jabbing. "Your mom is fat. You don't know how to drive.... bla bla bla". This exchange actually proved quite useful because it was through this process that I was able to deduce that he was full of shit.

.... and there's A LOT of SHIT. So... I think I'll just bullet point this part:
- The guy claims he has a ton of track experience but doesn't post anything remotely resembling a track.
- He claims he's rich but drives a old ass lambo and lives in what I think is Ohio?
- It seems like his reviews are bullshit because he will basically recommend your product if you give it to him for free. The opposite is also true where he will down rate your products if you reject his advances. In other words, this whole "I am a professional product reviewer" is just a hoax to get free parts for his car.
- He started the reviews page on FB and has several underlings which "work" under him
- The fb page is merely an extension of what he pulls here on this forum

So I guess to answer the OP's question. It is 100% a scam.

While it doesn't operate in the traditional sense of what a scam is, in their quest for free parts, they have misinformed and thus misdirected many CTR owners towards products which were either inferior or unnecessary.
Nailed it! :claps:

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Sounds like he's just trying to be an "Influencer" and being more un-ethical than the average Influencer. Its' pretty acceptable these days for folks to try and get a large following so that they can get paid to post positive comments or reviews for various products.

It's still pretty much the wild west out there when it comes to the legality of such things (I think the US FTC started stating guidelines November 2019). My wife is in advertising, and I can say that advertisers will pay some influencer many tens of thousands of dollars in cash and goods for positive association.

NPR (and others) have done articles/episodes on this. In short, unless you know a review is unbaised or actually discloses their compensations, you should (IMO) assume they are being paid for their opinion. See some of the top results here; https://www.google.com/search?q=sit...69i57j69i58.6700j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Did he delete his account? Can't seem to tag him anymore. @ctrmofo
His profile is also unable to be viewed for me right now: https://www.civicx.com/forum/members/ctrmofo.18630/
I can still see his posts and threads started though.

Even though I don't like how he communicates most of the time, he has provided some good information. I don't think I'd say he's actively scamming people.

He does seem to claim track experience but I haven't seen any actual proof of that, which is kinda weird.

His comments at the beginning of this thread were amusing. https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/how-many-bought-mods-then-felt-it-ruined-the-car.38321/

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Did he delete his account? Can't seem to tag him anymore. @ctrmofo
His profile is also unable to be viewed for me right now: https://www.civicx.com/forum/members/ctrmofo.18630/
I can still see his posts and threads started though.

Even though I don't like how he communicates most of the time, he has provided some good information. I don't think I'd say he's actively scamming people.

He does seem to claim track experience but I haven't seen any actual proof of that, which is kinda weird.

His comments at the beginning of this thread were amusing. https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/how-many-bought-mods-then-felt-it-ruined-the-car.38321/
He got banned from CivicX some time back.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Oh wow, did not know that. How come?
I can't know for sure. A lot of users got PO'd when he started spamming his products in various competitor threads up here (examples were spamming his Overland products in a couple SWEIDIT threads and calling SWEIDIT trash while doing so) and copy pasta'ing each of his new "reviews" in 2-3 threads for each review. Last I heard from him (on FB); this forum is full of misinformation and they want him to pay to use it (I'm assuming he was acting more like a sponsor/advertiser than a normal forum member, but again, I can't know for sure).

E404

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' SGP FK8
Country flag
Been lurking for a while but just made an account to reply to said thread. Been following them for awhile on Instagram and replied to one of their posts about prl HVI being the best on the market. I then asked what about eventuri or other manufactures? They then told me it's actually one of the worst if not the worst intake on the market and said the AFR's where everywhere and horrible. I then asked for some actual data, you know datalogs and what not. I was told he'd post them soon, waited a few weeks and asked for them again and was told it's a bad product.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I think there is some room for improvement in that group and the the people that admin it.
I got banned yesterday for posting SAE research related to intake valve deposits (catch cans). The scientific research contradicts what they were promoting about catch cans.

Does this seem worthy of being banned?
Intake Valve Deposits (IVD) build up is not from oil vapors (Noack) its oil mist. Oil vapor (oil in gas phase) is very different than oil mist (oil in liquid phase) because its cleaner (distilled). Consequently, it is the contaminates in the oil mist that mostly account for the intake valve deposits. In other words, if you keep your oil fresh with frequent oil changes, you will have less intake valve deposits. In addition, using higher viscosity oils (like 5W-30) will result in higher intake valve deposits because the oil will stay longer on the valve. These are the recent conclusions from SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) research.
Honestly, do you really want to follow a "how to" from somebody that thinks there are two opposing threads when dealing with a shift knob?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.