Experiences with drop in filters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Looking to get a k&n drop in filter. I heard good things about sound improvement. Does anyone have a drop in, if so how is it? Does it mess with af ratios etc?
Sponsored

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
A drop in won't really do much for sound.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
My experience is that drop-ins offer a slight bump in throttle response and slightly more sound at WOT. Very minor increases though.

The best thing about them is the fact they are reusable. I've used K&N and the dry aFe and AEM filters. I prefer the dry type to the oiled K&N, but that's just me.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
I had an aFe Pro Dry... didn’t notice much difference at all. Switched to a HKS Super. I definitely hear the turbo spool more clearly than with the aFe.

i also have a PRL/Green Filter that I haven’t used yet. When the HKS is about done I’ll switch to the PRL

Honda Civic 10th gen Experiences with drop in filters F6BA413C-22D4-490F-B8A6-159040F8BE94

Coreyviper

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
My experience is that drop-ins offer a slight bump in throttle response and slightly more sound at WOT. Very minor increases though.

The best thing about them is the fact they are reusable. I've used K&N and the dry aFe and AEM filters. I prefer the dry type to the oiled K&N, but that's just me.
May I ask what the difference is between an oiled and dry filter? Why would one choose one over the other?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The aftermarket oiled type impregnates the filter with a special oil. It works, but occasionally a user might over-oil them causing potential MAF issues.

The dry type needs no oiling. You can simply vacuum them out for a quick clean or rinse in soap and water to get them back to full efficiency. No MAF worries.

Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
Looking to get a k&n drop in filter. I heard good things about sound improvement. Does anyone have a drop in, if so how is it? Does it mess with af ratios etc?
I did not notice anything from mine

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I cleaned my aem dry flow a couple of weeks ago. I had a k&n filter in my last car, so I used the cleaning solution. I like that there is a theoretical gain over oem style, not generating waste vs disposable, and after another 12k miles I'll be ahead on my investment.

Tanuktun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Ex Hatchback
Country flag
I recently installed a AFE momentum CAI, not liking the sound (heavy drone in low RPM) but I like the improved throttle response, thinking about a drop in instead....

Thinking AFE pro dry drop in, but considering AEM dryflow and now HKS, thoughts?

Last edited:

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Country flag
I recently installed a AFE momentum CAI, not liking the sound (heavy drone in low RPM) but I like the improved throttle response, thing about a drop in instead....

Thinking AFE pro dry drop in, but considering AEM dryflow and now HKS, thoughts?
I have the AEM Dry Flow and no complaints here. I installed it when I installed my PRL Stage 1 tube. I didn't notice any difference in sound from stock, personally.
Sponsored