Who else couldn't care less about "infotainment"?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Definitely don't need my car to read social media posts but it would be nice if it didn't take 5 whole seconds to access my HVAC controls and have sluggish menu performance.

I use Android Auto for maps/music so that's nice to have and keeps your phone free. It's a Civic, not a race car, amenities can be nice.
Sponsored

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I can't get myself into all the add on electronics and bs on cars. I could care less if my radio reads me social media messages or whatever. I rather have a car that's fun to DRIVE, not calculating math equations.....

Anyone else feel the same?

Besides that, all I see is people always complaining about their infotainment systems.
There's no reason there cant be both an infotainment and a fun car to drive. My civic is my first car with an infotainment screen and I think its great with the phone calls, texts etc. Especially how strict we are here in Canada with using a phone while driving.

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's no reason there cant be both an infotainment and a fun car to drive. My civic is my first car with an infotainment screen and I think its great with the phone calls, texts etc. Especially how strict we are here in Canada with using a phone while driving.
Pretty much, just a click of the button on the steering (hey Siri/android, call/text mom, play “yada yada song”) much better. And it keeps your eyes on the road.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm 50/50. I sometimes yearn for the updated infotainment inside the 2020 Sport Hatch, but other times, I love the simplicity of my '18 Sport Hatch base radio.

ATX_Si

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe (gone). 2018 Accord EX-L 1.5t (gone) 2020 Audi Q3 S-Line. 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
Country flag
Or even prevent you from getting that raw experience from driving the actual vehicle.
I think all the driver aids and “electronic nannies” take away from that raw experience more than an infotainment system. I love driving my Si but I miss the rawness of my AP1 s2000 because the most advanced thing on it was the electric power steering. No pedal dance to turn off VSA, just you and the car. It’s a lot easier to turn off an infotainment system than the driver aids.

Lyttle

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I agree slightly, I don't care much for the infotainment past it playing my own music and the maps app, essentially if I can just have access to Apple CarPlay then that is all I need. I have seen a lot of people buying aftermarket tablets? head units? infotainments? what ever the heck they're called now of days to replace the ones already in place but I find that a bit extreme.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I'm 50/50. I sometimes yearn for the updated infotainment inside the 2020 Sport Hatch, but other times, I love the simplicity of my '18 Sport Hatch base radio.
Is the 2020 actually different other than the button layout?

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
I don't care about infotainment either. I listen to the radio or music off a usb stick. That's about it.

It's not that I dislike it, I just wouldn't use the features so it seems like a waste for someone like me.

shabadoo25

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX-L
Country flag
It's very helpful and safer to have cell phone features available that don't require looking down at the phone.

Upgrading to Apple Carplay was huge for me.

OP
OP
CVCTURBO

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag

I don't care about infotainment either. I listen to the radio or music off a usb stick. That's about it.

It's not that I dislike it, I just wouldn't use the features so it seems like a waste for someone like me.
Same here. And since my phone bluetooths to the basic radio in my sport hb I never have to touch my phone to answer calls or change songs.

I mean I guess I see why some people like the infotainment but it also seems like I always see threads of people complaining about theirs.

I spend 3+hrs a day commuting and all I need is this basic unit. I'm sure at some point I may want to put a sub and better speakers in. Then I'll put a regular touch screen in.

mocaSi

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si & 2016 Honda Fit
Country flag
I can't get myself into all the add on electronics and bs on cars. I could care less if my radio reads me social media messages or whatever. I rather have a car that's fun to DRIVE, not calculating math equations.....

Anyone else feel the same?

Besides that, all I see is people always complaining about their infotainment systems.
I'm with you on this. I couldn't have said it better myself.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is the 2020 actually different other than the button layout?
Here's the '18 vs '20 sport hatch interior differences. The big ones being the touchscreen radio, LCD dash display, push-button-start, and honda sensing. Also you can see leather-ish armrests in the '20.

They pretty much got it right in 20. Can't beat the value.

Honda Civic 10th gen Who else couldn't care less about "infotainment"? diffs

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I checked out the electronics/radio when I was buying the car. I saw what it was and how it worked. I found it fine for me. After almost 2.5 years it's still the same as it was then and it works the same way. No surprises whatsoever. Actually, it's a bit better with the Honda Hack thing which works as advertised for me. So I don't have any complaints. I have exactly what I purchased, I don't need more until I buy a new car, and don't have have any conceivable reason to want less.
The volume knob is missing, but I remember it wasn't there when I signed the papers at the dealer. Same with the climate control - it's still mostly on the touch screen, and I didn't expect my civic would grow dedicated AC buttons even though I feed her 93 octane.

One thing that could be annoying is that after touching a button, the button sometimes blinks, showing it recognized the touch, but doesn't perform the action, so it needs to be touched again. I"ve seen many devices that do the same thing. I can't even get mad at Android, because non-Android devices sometimes do this too. I can only blame for this the dumb people who design hardware/operating systems and in particular how they handle interrupts from input devices.

themzlab

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
themzlab.tumblr.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 Prius 5,2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
One thing that could be annoying is that after touching a button, the button sometimes blinks, showing it recognized the touch, but doesn't perform the action, so it needs to be touched again. I"ve seen many devices that do the same thing. I can't even get mad at Android, because non-Android devices sometimes do this too. I can only blame for this the dumb people who design hardware/operating systems and in particular how they handle interrupts from input devices
This is interesting - and bad design. One should wonder - why is a touch noticed and then discarded -at what layer of the software is that being lost.

I do care about the 'infotainment' but maybe not in the way the product managers think. The design has to be very good and intuitive, and it is not. I do not use androidauto or CarPlay.

The GPS guidance in our phones is better than what is built in even though I have updated the maps each year. It's especially annoying that so many functions are locked out while driving.

I use a very basic bluetooth audio connection to listen to podcasts sent from my phone. In this car and my others one of the worse areas is the handoff between different people's phones. For example maybe my daughter's phone was connected last but now I want mine to be - or my wife's and so on. I don't know why they couldn't put a menu much closer to the top level to allow directly and quickly switching to the particular device you'd like connected. I think they are assuming that primarily 1 phone is connected all the time.

the best feature of the touchscreen interface is the ability to go into the service menus and reset maintenance items, perform calibrations, etc.
Sponsored