Over filling oil 1.5L Should I correct??

JAM13

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXL
Country flag
I own a 2016 Honda Civic EXL. I change my oil and oil filter every 5,000 miles with Mobile 1 advanced full synthetic. I follow the directions and put 3.7 quarts of oil with every oil change. I just did an oil change and accidentally put too much, roughly around 4.2 quarts. Is this something I should correct or can I ride it out until next time?
Sponsored

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I own a 2016 Honda Civic EXL. I change my oil and oil filter every 5,000 miles with Mobile 1 advanced full synthetic. I follow the directions and put 3.7 quarts of oil with every oil change. I just did an oil change and accidentally put too much, roughly around 4.2 quarts. Is this something I should correct or can I ride it out until next time?

I would remove some. I have Fumoto drain valve since day one, so it's easy to remove some oil if needed.

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would remove some. I have Fumoto drain valve since day one, so it's easy to remove some oil if needed.
Not to hijack this thread, but do you have a link to the one you use? I'm going to be due for an oil change soon and was considering a drain valve to minimize messes and guesswork.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not to hijack this thread, but do you have a link to the one you use? I'm going to be due for an oil change soon and was considering a drain valve to minimize messes and guesswork.
Pretty sure it's the F-106S but please verify for your vehicle.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I would definitely correct it. Sucking out half a quart via the dipstick tube is easy and will take under 10 minutes once you have the appropriate piece of tubing and a syringe. It will take just 3 150 cc syringefuls to remove half a quart of oil.

I do this at least once every OCI to cancel oil dilution, and sucking out even 2 or 3 qt is no big deal.

Last edited:

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
OP
OP
JAM13

JAM13

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXL
Country flag
I would definitely correct it. Sucking out half a quart via the dipstick tube is easy and will take under 10 minutes once you have the appropriate piece of tubing and a syringe. It will take just 3 150 cc syringefuls to remove half a quart of oil.

I do this at least once every OCI to cancel oil dilution, and sucking out even 2 or 3 qt is no big deal.
Went to harbor freights to check to see if they had a 150 cc syringe ended up buying a multi use transfer pump. I removed the dipstick put the tube in that’s connected to the intake port of the lil pump. Then put the tube that’s connected to the discharge port of the pump into a container. I keep pumping and nothing. I tried playing around with the tubes because I’m aware the container is suppose to be lower than the upper hose but it seems like the tubes are getting tight with air but no oil is going through. FYI I just drove short distance before attempting this and the engine was warm. Any suggestions???

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Went to harbor freights to check to see if they had a 150 cc syringe ended up buying a multi use transfer pump. I removed the dipstick put the tube in that’s connected to the intake port of the lil pump. Then put the tube that’s connected to the discharge port of the pump into a container. I keep pumping and nothing. I tried playing around with the tubes because I’m aware the container is suppose to be lower than the upper hose but it seems like the tubes are getting tight with air but no oil is going through. FYI I just drove short distance before attempting this and the engine was warm. Any suggestions???

I don't think that is going to work if you look at how long the dip stick is.

OP
OP
JAM13

JAM13

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXL
Country flag
I don't think that is going to work if you look at how long the dip stick is.
The tube is long and I fed it all the way to the bottom. Idk if the oil was too hot when I tried or if maybe the tube got scrunched up. I’m about to try again. If all else fails I guess I’m going to have to drain the oil out again.

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
The tube is long and I fed it all the way to the bottom. Idk if the oil was too hot when I tried or if maybe the tube got scrunched up. I’m about to try again. If all else fails I guess I’m going to have to drain the oil out again.

update us how it goes, maybe i won't need to jack up my car if your method worke

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
you shouldn't be putting 3.7 quarts in it every oil change,

you should be putting in the amount it takes to get it to the full mark on the dipstick,

fluid capacities listed in the manual are estimates only,

I alway follows fluid capacity in the manual and it is always right.
What it is in manual is not a estimate

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let the oil cool down first. Use a fish tank tubing attached to a used hand lotion dispenser (the pump). Straighten out the tubing and insert into dipstick hole while turning the tubing on the way down. It’s pretty far down before reaching the oil. Pump until you see oil (no air bubbles) and lower the other end of the tubing onto the ground and into an empty container. Let gravity do the work. It’ll take a while depending on the amount of excess oil.

Airline Tubing for Aquariums (get it from Amazon or Walmart)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002563MW

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I'm surprised again that people have issues with something so straightforward. This is because people tend to rely on their imagination about how this should or could work, not the reality of pumping fluids. I don't recommend any other method except as I do with zero problems: relatively rigid, such as HD polyethylene tubing and a syringe or other positive displacement pump producing fast strong vacuum. A piece of thick rubber fuel line will help to quickly connect and disconnect the syringe. Another piece of rubber hose may serve as a stopper for quickly plugging the tubing going into the dipstick hole after removing a full syringe. This will prevent the oil inside the tubing from returning back down, so you won't need to suck a plug of air back into your next syringe.

Can be done on hot or cold oil, but there's no need to suck very hot oil just after driving. Hot oil will definitely go faster, but even cold 0W oil is plenty fast with this method. With 5W or higher I would definitely prefer hot oil.

I don't expect the Harbor Freight pump to work. Just get a syringe! The tubing should go in about 25 inches. if you put in too much, it will bend back up and suck air.

Besides Amazon and such, you can go to Walmart immediately and get a marinade syringe in the grilling department. Those I got from Walmart are a bit too small (2oz = 60+ cc), and have the standard Luer screw fitting which requires the right size tubing, but it will work. The best syringe fitting is just a long cone which will accept a short piece of a rubber fuel line.

The best syringe for this purpose would be one with a simple one piece polypropylene plunger-piston. The two part with a rubber piston is fine, but just may limit your speed, because it will tend to detach if you pull too hard.

OP
OP
JAM13

JAM13

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXL
Country flag
update us how it goes, maybe i won't need to jack up my car if your method worke
I ended up jacking my car back up and draining some oil. Tried eye balling it and ended up taking a quart and a half out. As I mentioned it was a half quart over so I had to pour another fresh quart of oil in and clean up the bottom real good so it doesn’t leak or anything. I’m sure syphoning from the dipstick works with the proper tubes and syringe but the pump I got from harbor freights was a POS. I think the tube that it came with that I was feeding down through the dipstick was too flimsy. Lesson learned, don’t over fill you oil. Less is better in this case. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND HELP!!

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
You need a longer tube. I perform my A service using a Mityvac fluid pump, and I’m able to get over 3.5 quarts pumped out through the dipstick without issue.
Sponsored