Status
Not open for further replies.

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
No grinds here but a bit of notchiness here and there and occasional lockout going into reverse.
Quick question about checking play: can I just push on my clutch pedal by hand to check for play instead of the cmc rod itself? I think my system is good but it doesn’t hurt to verify....
Also.... has anyone checked what the service manual says about all these adjustments?
tia folks
Sponsored

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
what is the 2nd gear crunch? i have had my 2019 type R for a month now and never had the problem
It's a grind a lot of folks get when shifting from 1st to 2nd especially when shifting fast. A lot of folks also get locked out of 4th on the downshift.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
i wonder why i have not gotten this? im only at 3,800 miles now
Honestly, there are a lot of variables involved. CNC for example, variation between models, even driver and how he/she shifts. For example, I've found that it's much more likely to occur if I'm banging gears and trying to push hard in my car.

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Audi A3 Quattro, 2020 Volkswagen Tiguan
Country flag
Honestly, there are a lot of variables involved. CNC for example, variation between models, even driver and how he/she shifts. For example, I've found that it's much more likely to occur if I'm banging gears and trying to push hard in my car.
My #1 condition for 1-2 crunches is when short-shifting while going uphill and everything not fully warmed up. There's a stoplight near my house, part of my daily commute, where it most often occurs. (CMC adjusted, full Acuity shifter goodies, Amsoil mtf.)

apk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR RR
Country flag
Automobile Mag complained about the grind in their 2020 article as well. I can hope that some more press will force a TSB. Right? Maybe

zeppelin2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Automobile Mag complained about the grind in their 2020 article as well. I can hope that some more press will force a TSB. Right? Maybe
Oh wow, thanks for pointing that out. Glad they made a point to mention it.

Here's what they say:

The manual transmission is still a zen garden for shifting, but there is an odd trait that from time to time produces a grind when shifting into second gear, either up from first or down from third. This occurred three times during our test, with the clutch depressed fully, in both high-performance and relaxed-driving situations. Some of the Automobile staff also noted a similar phenomenon in previous Civic Type R test cars, and it has been mentioned by other outlets as well.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/...ice-specifications-performance-features-0-60/

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh wow, thanks for pointing that out. Glad they made a point to mention it.

Here's what they say:
If you watch Alex on Auto's 2020 Type R review, at about 19 minutes in, you can definitely hear what sounds like a grind when he shifts into 2nd. He didn't seem to point it out when it happened.

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
This was the main reason I traded in my 17CTR. It was annoying and getting ridiculous. It's like the clutch get stuck not fulling depressing! So far i have not experience this on my 2020 trying to shift faster to replicate this problem. Perhaps looking what part they changed and hopefully a cheap fix. Or this maybe this is a who got lucky issue? Probably good idea to wait it out for owner to confirm.

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
So I think I figured out how to not have this 2nd gear crunch.
Ive experienced it many times and was always annoyed by it, going from 1st to 2nd always felt weird and downshifting from 3rd to 2nd always had this crunch.
I started to change the way I shifted.
For example, what I did before going from 3rd to 2nd was pull the shifter diagonally toward 2nd gear about 85% of the way and then fully down the last 15% until it went in. And it sometimes had this crunch to it.

I changed the way I did this and now I pull the shifter diagonally about 55% of the way (50% being in neutral) and then the rest of the way down and will a little force to the right.
In this horrible drawing on the left is my original way and on the right is my newer way. The line represent the direction I am pulling the shifter when going from 3rd to 2nd. This is just to give you a generally idea of how I put the force a little bit to the right the last bit going into 2nd gear.
Honda Civic 10th gen The Infamous 2nd Gear Crunch 1590207594884

SInce changing the way I shift, I have not had any gear crunch.
Also when going from 1st to 2nd, I pull it down with some force to the left initially to make sure I get into 2nd instead of 4th, but then the last 30% I put some force to the right like I did from 3rd to 2nd.

Maybe I was supposed to shift like this all the time but changing to this way helped me a lot and I get much smoother shifts.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen The Infamous 2nd Gear Crunch 4E4155F6-12E9-4A9E-89BA-D84DDAE952D8

Does this look like right or should I give it a bit of adjustment? I'd like to be proactive while it's low mileage and avoid any issues. I've had 4th lock out on me, usually on the down shift. I've avoided grinds so far.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe it's anecdotal, but when I went out for a drive today lasting about 4 hours, I took my time shifting and the transmission felt very predictable with no crunches or anything. Maybe this transmission just doesn't like to be hurried. Counterproductive I know given the fact this is billed as track capable...:dunno:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.