First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R # 00054
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do they help keep the car from overheating on hot track days? What other cooling mods do you have?
Dont have any temp gauges to keep track of under hood temps but with normal driving you can see the heat rising out of the vents.

I went with a larger aftermarket grill to allow more flow.

OP
OP

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2015 Silverado, 2007 Rabbit
Country flag
They will be $295 a set in a raw aluminum and will include support strips for the 3 larger vents to stiffen them, on the underside, as well as hardware to mount the scoop replacement panel. The other 3 can be attached with small bolts, rivets, etc, your choice.
They?
Which ones?
Are we adding yet another "will be" to the already rather long list of "we are planning..."
Anyone have a set you can actually buy, I'm getting pretty sick of pictures of cool shit that isn't actually available.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
They?
Which ones?
Are we adding yet another "will be" to the already rather long list of "we are planning..."
Anyone have a set you can actually buy, I'm getting pretty sick of pictures of cool shit that isn't actually available.
I was also pretty confused by his post until I realized it's pretty much just a copy of USR's comment about their vents on page 1, so now I'm just a little less confused.

Anyway, I DMed Jason from USR on Instagram (@JLOracing) about a month ago and he said the vents were heading into production and that pieces would be available separately if you wanted just the hood scoop piece. I'd reach out to him if you're serious.

I'm a little concerned with the vent being a little too far rearward/close to the high pressure area at the base of the windshield. Would prefer to have it right above the turbo, but the convenience of being in the factory hood scoop location is pretty huge and makes for a way easier cut/installation and can be replaced with the factory scoop at any time.

I've kinda fell in love with the Race Louvers vents. They're way more aggressive, and a guy on FB installed his right above the turbo and has had great cooling results. They aren't super pretty, but I'm pretty sure they're the most functional vents I've ever seen. I highly recommend watching some of their YouTube videos.

Ultimately, I don't think I can get myself to pay hundreds for a vent then pay more to get a shop to cut open the poor original hood up and install it (don't trust myself), and I don't think I'll track frequently/hard enough to make such a "serious" upgrade worth it. I am looking at better radiator upgrades to try and make up for it (paired with just an oil cooler and higher flowing grille), but may just spring for the USR hood scoop vent if it proves to be a difference maker.

Race Louvers pics (this model, specifically: https://racelouvers.com/scca-t2-t3-stu-center-hood-louvers-pair-16w-x-11-5d/)
Honda Civic 10th gen Hood Vents Screenshot_20200426-224923

OP
OP

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh goodness yeah - if you don't track it or often get stuck in Atlanta traffic in August I wouldn't mess with a thing.

I just pulled my own scoop and cut out all I could under it but still replace it without any evidence. Bought a used Type R scoop from a junk yard and got some aluminum perforated sheet and will build my own that I can swap at the track.

All in less than $170.00 and once the factory scoop is back in place you could never tell a thing...

Quite honestly I got sick and tired of waiting and getting no response from USR to bother...

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Oh goodness yeah - if you don't track it or often get stuck in Atlanta traffic in August I wouldn't mess with a thing.

I just pulled my own scoop and cut out all I could under it but still replace it without any evidence. Bought a used Type R scoop from a junk yard and got some aluminum perforated sheet and will build my own that I can swap at the track.

All in less than $170.00 and once the factory scoop is back in place you could never tell a thing...

Quite honestly I got sick and tired of waiting and getting no response from USR to bother...
It'll see track time, I just don't know if it'll be frequent enough to warrant cutting up the stock hood anywhere other than the hood scoop location. Definitely post pics of your project when you can.

OP
OP

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OK Here Goes:
I could go on for hours but I'll do my best to keep it short.
Here is what I came up with ---

1) Swapped out the restrictive front grill for the EBay special. Clearly a huge difference in open grill. Now whether the air passing through it has anywhere to go? I'm not so sure.
2) Figured I try to help it find an exit.

Original plan was to include a front splitter to offset any lift created by the more open grill but that is a story for another time - Let's say I wouldn't buy the AeroFlow Dynamics one if I were you.

Anyway....

All in about $180.00 ($260 w/grill)
NOT $1800.00
NOT $18,000.00
  • I can swap the scoops out in 4 minutes.
  • Running the stock scoop you could never tell the hood has been cut.
  • Not that anything bad will happen but I guess it is better not risk getting caught in a good old fashioned southern downpour with an open scoop.
  • If I'm heading to the track I can swap for the "high-flow" one or just bring it with me and swap there.
  • No it's not quite ready for SEMA but I'm not disappointed in it either.
  • Of course I can also try running with just the hole cut in the hood.
Why not just run it open?
I have a hunch I want a little restriction?
100% honest I have absolutely no idea what net aero changes this setup will bring.
Just seems like a KISS approach to addressing the (supposed) cooling issue.
At least I admit it and it only cost me only $260.00 to find out!

Heading to VIR in June so maybe I'll find out - probably not since I doubt it will be hot enough to create problems. And nice long straights to cool things back down. (I also run her around 8/10th)

[Used scoop off Ebay, perf aluminum sheet 50%+ open area, black socket head bolts 1/4 - 20, some high-temp black paint and misc. hardware I had around. ]

Happy Trails

Honda Civic 10th gen Hood Vents IMG_7237.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Hood Vents IMG_7238.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Hood Vents IMG_7239.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Hood Vents IMG_7241.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Hood Vents IMG_7242.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Hood Vents IMG_7243.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Hood Vents IMG_7244.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Hood Vents IMG_7245.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Hood Vents IMG_7247.JPG

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Lots to unpack there, but I'll just say that design doesn't make sense to me - the grille area vents hot air out, just for it to be sucked back in by the hood scoop?
No.
Air goes in the grill and out the hood, that is the concept.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
OK Here Goes:
I could go on for hours but I'll do my best to keep it short.
Here is what I came up with ---

1) Swapped out the restrictive front grill for the EBay special. Clearly a huge difference in open grill. Now whether the air passing through it has anywhere to go? I'm not so sure.
2) Figured I try to help it find an exit.

Original plan was to include a front splitter to offset any lift created by the more open grill but that is a story for another time - Let's say I wouldn't buy the AeroFlow Dynamics one if I were you.

Anyway....

All in about $180.00 ($260 w/grill)
NOT $1800.00
NOT $18,000.00
  • I can swap the scoops out in 4 minutes.
  • Running the stock scoop you could never tell the hood has been cut.
  • Not that anything bad will happen but I guess it is better not risk getting caught in a good old fashioned southern downpour with an open scoop.
  • If I'm heading to the track I can swap for the "high-flow" one or just bring it with me and swap there.
  • No it's not quite ready for SEMA but I'm not disappointed in it either.
  • Of course I can also try running with just the hole cut in the hood.
Why not just run it open?
I have a hunch I want a little restriction?
100% honest I have absolutely no idea what net aero changes this setup will bring.
Just seems like a KISS approach to addressing the (supposed) cooling issue.
At least I admit it and it only cost me only $260.00 to find out!

Heading to VIR in June so maybe I'll find out - probably not since I doubt it will be hot enough to create problems. And nice long straights to cool things back down. (I also run her around 8/10th)

[Used scoop off Ebay, perf aluminum sheet 50%+ open area, black socket head bolts 1/4 - 20, some high-temp black paint and misc. hardware I had around. ]

Happy Trails

IMG_7237.JPG

IMG_7238.JPG

IMG_7239.JPG

IMG_7241.JPG

IMG_7242.JPG

IMG_7243.JPG

IMG_7244.JPG

IMG_7245.JPG

IMG_7247.JPG
Nice job! Here's mine for under $10... (I have matching bumper vents too)

Honda Civic 10th gen Hood Vents IMG_20190824_123513

OP
OP

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No.
LOL
THANKS!
I was hoping someone would explain that...
Car moves forward at 80 MPH air passes through grill in which direction?

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
No.
LOL
THANKS!
I was hoping someone would explain that...
Car moves forward at 80 MPH air passes through grill in which direction?
I was referring to the grille part of the hood scoop, not the front grille. ?

And @Learn2turn , your version is actually letting air in and creating a high pressure zone in your engine bay, thereby decreasing how well your radiator works. Sure, you'll see heat radiate out of it from a stop, but it's not pulling hot air out at speed.

@JESFromASC 's design is theoretically a little better since the entire area isn't opened up and the scoop still feeds through the aluminum air duct and out the fenders.
Sponsored