garym0510

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX with Sensing
Country flag
So I did the front brakes first had the parking brake engaged. Automo trans. Then after completing the front I started the car pumped the brakes disengaged the parking brake turned the car off. And continued with the rear. Turned the piston with a block tool purchased from autozone. Turned piston in and greased and cleaned everything up re installed new pads I did not unplug anything. Put everything back together started it up and pumped the brakes and started to drive and all warning lights followed. I am able to get back under and check but I feel like this is all related to this brake retraction thing. Putting the electric brake in maintenance mode. Yada yada I don't have a scanner or anything like that hell didn't no i needed one.
I did not bleed brakes or remove the resivoir cap.
Sponsored

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
I just replaced my rear rotors and pads a few weeks ago.
What you could do:
-Removed the EPB actuators and turn clockwise on the caliper to reset EPB, you don't have to replace O ring or anything.
-pump your brake.
-Reinstall the EPB actuators.
_ To finish it up, do like I said in item 11 (This thread)

Honda Civic 10th gen Retract EPB with 12V power? Rear brake.JPG

wes1099

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
So your saying you don't retract your parking brake? And it works fine?
I retract it using the tool I linked. Make sure the parking brake is deactivated before you start. Deactivating the parking brake doesn’t retract it all the way, so you use the tool to push it the rest of the way in.

garym0510

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just replaced my rear rotors and pads a few weeks ago.
What you could do:
-Removed the EPB actuators and turn clockwise on the caliper to reset EPB, you don't have to replace O ring or anything.
-pump your brake.
-Reinstall the EPB actuators.
_ To finish it up, do like I said in item 11 (This thread)

Rear brake.JPG

garym0510

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So basically I need to take everything back apart to do this. I didn't spend much time looking at the actuator so not sure if I need to take the whole assembly apart or is the actuator removable with out having to re do the main piston

garym0510

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I retract it using the tool I linked. Make sure the parking brake is deactivated before you start. Deactivating the parking brake doesn’t retract it all the way, so you use the tool to push it the rest of the way in.
I'm not sure what your getting at I used this to turn the caliper are you saying I need that tool for the actuator

Honda Civic 10th gen Retract EPB with 12V power? Screenshot_20200514-124154_Samsung Internet

garym0510

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, you do, it's real easy to do.
when you reinstall the EPB clean the O ring and you can lubricate it with silicone grease or vaseline, be careful not to break it.
Alright anyone know what size the bolts are on the actuater to get them it off the two that hold it on so I can go buy the e11 and stuff

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
For my instance, I just made sure the parking brake was disengaged, IE not holding the car. I used 1st gear (MT) and wheel obstructions to hold the car in place when I did the rear brakes. If you had them engaged or did something wrong (plugged them in the wrong way), it would need to be reset.

Did you bleed your brakes or leave them be?

Are you able to get back under and double-check everything is done properly?
My understanding is that due to the self adjusting nature of the EPB, this can work or it can cause issues. Basically as your rear pads wear, the EPB self adjusts it's position to maintain proper clamping pressure. If you were to force the piston in, even is the EPB is off, and the self adjustment had reached a certain point, you can damage the mechanism. Sounds like you've been lucky so far, but at some point you may end up causing damage.

garym0510

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My understanding is that due to the self adjusting nature of the EPB, this can work or it can cause issues. Basically as your rear pads wear, the EPB self adjusts it's position to maintain proper clamping pressure. If you were to force the piston in, even is the EPB is off, and the self adjustment had reached a certain point, you can damage the mechanism. Sounds like you've been lucky so far, but at some point you may end up causing damage.
Pretty rediculous you gotta take it to a dealer almost to get the brakes changed. Luckily and old friend of mine is a Honda tech and is bringing over her scanner to but the thing in maintenance mode and or figure out what is up
Sponsored