ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The real question is..... Now that people have their hands on 2020s, is there an actual oil temp sensor???? Or os it software calculating the Oil Temp?
Wondering the same thing. There's gotta be a sensor (maybe T-d off the dummy light oil pressure sensor?) but the gauge could very well be part of the LogR software.
Sponsored

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wondering the same thing. There's gotta be a sensor (maybe T-d off the dummy light oil pressure sensor?) but the gauge could very well be part of the LogR software.
I am going to guess it is calculated by software, and that there is no sensor. I think it is calculated off oil pressure.

None the less..... we shall see.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I am going to guess it is calculated by software, and that there is no sensor. I think it is calculated off oil pressure.

None the less..... we shall see.
Damn, that does not sound like it'd be all that accurate. We shall see indeed!

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Damn, that does not sound like it'd be all that accurate. We shall see indeed!
I could be WILDLY wrong and there is a temp sensor, however, all temperature of any liquid can be calculated by pressure. It's (advanced) basic mathematics. The downside is It's way too complicated for my simple mind.

When I did HVAC we went off Tables (where someone else already calculated the temp based off pressure) and it was 100% accurate. Honda can do the same thing. Besids... an "actual" oil temp sensor is still working off voltage conversions.

Mature Banana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
The real question is..... Now that people have their hands on 2020s, is there an actual oil temp sensor???? Or os it software calculating the Oil Temp?
Good question. I checked a Honda parts website and couldn’t find an oil temp sensor.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good question. I checked a Honda parts website and couldn’t find an oil temp sensor.

This is exactly what makes me think it's being done through software. Which is still accurate and a great cost savings for Honda to consumers.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Log R is most likely made my a third party vendor. That company might have delayed their releases due to COVID. Honda doesn’t really have much control over this.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Which means the APK should be able to be quickly dumped and run on 2017-2019 cars.
Would be nicer if Honda would be able to install the software on the pre 2020 vehicles.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Which means the APK should be able to be quickly dumped and run on 2017-2019 cars.
Dumping it onto a pre-2020 car might be easy. Getting it to run might be a little more difficult. There are software measures that can probably be taken to make sure it doesn't run on pre-2020 cars. For example:

Java:
try:
    Oil_Sensor_Reader oil_sensor = new Oil_Sensor_Reader();
catch(Exception e):
    finishAffinity();
    System.exit(0);

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
When was the last time Honda offered a major, official upgrade 3 years after release?

They're a very traditional and very Japanese carmaker and are only just dipping their toes into the 21st century and modern software.
Completely agree. Legacy automakers don't see the value in using modern software technologies. Part of this is probably because most of that stuff is outsourced, so they have little control in terms of development and implementation. When a company is so large, it becomes harder and harder to change processes.

The tone at the top is still very traditional. If executives continue to see profits running their business the "traditional" way, can you blame them? If these legacy automakers don't adapt to the modern environment, they'll eventually be wiped out by more modern automakers.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
We've established that there isn't a new sensor that we can find, though. It's the existing pressure sensor being leveraged in a new way.

If there isn't though, it's a good thing Java can be easily decompiled :)
Ah, I wasn't aware of that. I'm sure they wouldn't go so far to do a checksum of some sort to make sure you didn't decompile it.

Another thing comes to mind though... If the update for Honda log R comes as a firmware upgrade, what's to stop us pre-2020 CTR owners from just upgrading to that firmware. Isn't the head unit identical? Edit: this would probably only work for the 2019 model, probably not the 2017-2018.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
I could be WILDLY wrong and there is a temp sensor, however, all temperature of any liquid can be calculated by pressure. It's (advanced) basic mathematics. The downside is It's way too complicated for my simple mind.

When I did HVAC we went off Tables (where someone else already calculated the temp based off pressure) and it was 100% accurate. Honda can do the same thing. Besids... an "actual" oil temp sensor is still working off voltage conversions.
If, (although it sounds like this might be correct) that the oil temperature data will only be extrapolated from oil pressure - all I can say is :oops:

Having come from a career of flying airplanes, and as anyone who pushes a car engine hard can tell you, you want both accurate oil pressure and oil temperature readings. You do not have the whole picture if one is just an extrapolation of the other. Far too many things can go wrong, and if they do, you want both real values, as it can go a long way to help you better understand what may be going on or about to go really wrong....

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
If you are using oil pressure to extrapolate oil temps then wouldn't it be important to make sure that you are always using the same viscosity oil?

I have always wondered what caused limp mode at the track and for NIssan at least, that is oil temp. Lower the oil temp with a cooler and no limp mode.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If you are using oil pressure to extrapolate oil temps then wouldn't it be important to make sure that you are always using the same viscosity oil?

I have always wondered what caused limp mode at the track and for NIssan at least, that is oil temp. Lower the oil temp with a cooler and no limp mode.
I was wondering this same thing, and even within the same viscosity classifications, different oils are different thicknesses.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Great call out! I don’t know why anyone would want to use anything other than 0W though.
Sponsored