The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm pretty sure KTuner doesn't recommend octane boosters. Hopefully JR can chime in.

See thats what confuses me.. i see just as equal facts on both ends about wether or not I should use it. Dont get me wrong, I did NOT feel a performance change what so ever, but it did lower the knock count significantly so idk. Im on the fence about it, especially if you guys dont recommend it.
Sponsored

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
You are very welcome, beware though, unless you get it to rest at .49, I have seen it go back up on its own. You may try giving it some 25%-35% throttle pulls (8ish PSI) to 4k rpms for about 3-5 minutes, and it will go down and stay down most likely. Its very random when it happens but I have had it go back up as far .65 in just a few seconds for no reason what so ever... On the other note, I put in some octane booster a while back (STP OCTANE BOOSTER in the orange bottle) and it caused a crap ton of knocking, shuddering/misfiring ... Today, I put in some LUCAS octane booster, and it actually lowered my knock count by 75% ish. An example of how many knock counts I would have at 93 octane would be roughly 20-25 in a 20-30 minute period(I know its pretty much harmless at this low number. but if its detected and can be corrected, why not?)... Tonight I had roughly 6-10 in a two hour period. If you choose to do this, use it as instructed on the bottle. more octane booster doesn't always mean better lol. (All of this was done on the Starter tune "Base/23.5/no rev-hang/responsive throttle 1 and 3970k-4000k 2step)

Good luck man!

**EDIT** OCTANE BOOSTER IS NOT LIKELY RECOMMENDED
I’ve noticed it only got knock during normal driving ,,,, under wide open throttle no knock count at all. I was using stop n shop 93 during all of this which isn’t my normal gas Choice normally I only do shell or Mobil sometimes citgo, Lucas makes good stuff, I’ve tried one octane booster when I first got the car but during that time I didn’t have it connected to a lap top. But yesterday like I was saying I got 3 knock count driving around for maybe 45 min ? And that was not under WOT

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind that on this platform, a small amount of knock counts isn't anything to worry about. Keeping an eye on K. Control is more important.

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
Keep in mind that on this platform, a small amount of knock counts isn't anything to worry about. Keeping an eye on K. Control is more important.
What are some numbers to look out for? 0.49 is normal right but how high would it have to be to cause some actual concern

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
What are some numbers to look out for? 0.49 is normal right but how high would it have to be to cause some actual concern
There are many things that contribute to high knock control. Knock control is designed to go up and down. It's actually a safety measure.

If you are pinned at 0.9 - 1.0 and above, constantly, that would be something to look at.

On the topic of octane boosters, many tuners don't recommend octane boosters. And for good reason.

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are many things that contribute to high knock control. Knock control is designed to go up and down. It's actually a safety measure.

If you are pinned at 0.9 - 1.0 and above, constantly, that would be something to look at.

On the topic of octane boosters, many tuners don't recommend octane boosters. And for good reason.

I totally agree, I had a bad experience tonight with the LUCAS I spoke so highly about. NEVER EVER AGAIN WILL I EVER use a booster again. I got some spudder/missfire again today. Yesterday, I had ZERO issues with it... I thought it was a sure thing after the good run I had. I actually gave it away to someone with no turbo. I will revise/edit my previous comment about it. I highly recommend staying away from it.

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve noticed it only got knock during normal driving ,,,, under wide open throttle no knock count at all. I was using stop n shop 93 during all of this which isn’t my normal gas Choice normally I only do shell or Mobil sometimes citgo, Lucas makes good stuff, I’ve tried one octane booster when I first got the car but during that time I didn’t have it connected to a lap top. But yesterday like I was saying I got 3 knock count driving around for maybe 45 min ? And that was not under WOT

That is perfectly fine, Its actually very random, and normal. I have seen 1, or 2 knocks in an hour, or even 25 in an hour. Like he said above, its nothing to worry about. Its more about the knock CONTROL ("K.CON") that needs to be watched. Like I read somewhere above, if you get a bunch of knock COUNTS (K.COUNT") within an hour, you likely have a bad tune, or some other underlining issue. ("Example; 100 with in an hour or even 50+ with in an hour maybe") <<<I could be wrong about that, please someone correct me if I am.

I know that normal seems to be about 10-20 in an hour. You are right about the driving normal part. To lower the knock CONTROL ("K.CON") I always boost up to 5-8 psi from 3-4k RPMS from 2nd gear and above when it goes up to lower the knock CONTROL ("K.CON") back down to 0.49. Today, I had it report .88 because of this stupid octane booster I used to counter the knock COUNT ("K.COUNT"). BAD IDEA!!! Don't use boosters, it's just not worth it. When I experienced the .88, the car stuttered and pinged at me a couple of times, it scared the crap out of me! The weird thing is, I was just doing a normal boost creep to 12-14 psi for "funzies". I have to say that I am very lucky I that I didn't hurt the engine. Everything seems to be fine. There isn't any abnormal engine noises, or performance issues. ?

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
That is perfectly fine, Its actually very random, and normal. I have seen 1, or 2 knocks in an hour, or even 25 in an hour. Like he said above, its nothing to worry about. Its more about the knock CONTROL ("K.CON") that needs to be watched. Like I read somewhere above, if you get a bunch of knock COUNTS (K.COUNT") within an hour, you likely have a bad tune, or some other underlining issue. ("Example; 100 with in an hour or even 50+ with in an hour maybe") <<<I could be wrong about that, please someone correct me if I am.

I know that normal seems to be about 10-20 in an hour. You are right about the driving normal part. To lower the knock CONTROL ("K.CON") I always boost up to 5-8 psi from 3-4k RPMS from 2nd gear and above when it goes up to lower the knock CONTROL ("K.CON") back down to 0.49. Today, I had it report .88 because of this stupid octane booster I used to counter the knock COUNT ("K.COUNT"). BAD IDEA!!! Don't use boosters, it's just not worth it. When I experienced the .88, the car stuttered and pinged at me a couple of times, it scared the crap out of me! The weird thing is, I was just doing a normal boost creep to 12-14 psi for "funzies". I have to say that I am very lucky I that I didn't hurt the engine. Everything seems to be fine. There isn't any abnormal engine noises, or performance issues. ?

So I just reflashed back to stock factory take a look at these numbers or k count I should say

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) D79FE2BD-CD1B-4242-A4A3-81225B3FE2F9

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It looks exactly like when I re flash stock. No worries, Just make a few fulls with no more than 4-6 psi from 3-4k and it will start to lower. You do need to get it lowered in to the .49-.59

Assume it will take an hour to get it down.. it did for me.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, keep in mind that an elevated knock control number is normal in certain situations. The higher knock control is there to protect the engine. Seeing .6 or .7 after some hard pulls is no biggie. Totally expected as long as it is slowly dropping down after some milder driving.

On the other hand if you are consistently seeing high numbers using say, 93 octane, you could be dealing with a bad batch of gas, for example.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well it's been a couple of weeks since anyone added a new survey. I know we have thousands of tuned CivicX's out there so that's not the issue.

Maybe people don't realize this is an ongoing thing and this database helps the community's tuning knowledge base?

Anyway, if you're tuned take the couple minutes to fill out a survey. Thanks.

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Well it's been a couple of weeks since anyone added a new survey. I know we have thousands of tuned CivicX's out there so that's not the issue.

Maybe people don't realize this is an ongoing thing and this database helps the community's tuning knowledge base?

Anyway, if you're tuned take the couple minutes to fill out a survey. Thanks.
Might need to post a link every now and then in the general 10th gen and SI forums as I think it's mainly that the average forum user doesnt stray into this technical section unless they have an issue.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe that's the case but I wouldn't want to make it seem like I'm bugging people. It's just that this idea of having a resource showing tuning reliability is important I think. Right now the sample size in this thread is small. TSP told me they've sold something like 1500 of their tunes alone. Add that to all the custom and base KTuner and Hondata tunes and that's a massive number of tuned Civic X's.

We have 200+ surveys taken. And it's a start. But, kind of disappointing if you realize I've sent out an astronomical number of personal messages to tuned CivicX'ers asking them to post. Most don't. I get a kick out of members replying with "I'll post up a survey real soon", and never do.:cool:

Last edited:

mforcino

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Maybe the case but I wouldn't want to make it seem like I'm bugging people. It's just that this idea of having a resource showing tuning reliability is important I think. Right now the sample size in this thread is small. TSP told me they've sold something like 1500 of their tunes alone. Add that to all the custom and base KTuner and Hondata tunes and that's a massive number of tuned Civic X's.

We 200+ surveys taken. And it's a start. But, kind of disappointing if you realize I've sent out an astronomical number of personal messages to tuned CivicX'ers asking them to post. Most don't. I get a kick out of members replying with "I'll post up a survey real soon", and never do.:cool:
It’s amazing how good these tunes are for so many civic owners. 98% reliable? Crazy for how much it improves the car. Thanks for the thread gtman.

mforcino

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Vehicle: 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT)

Total tuned time: 1 month

Total tuned mileage: 700 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner

Tunes used: Ktuner Stage 2, TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: 93

Additional engine mods: Totally stock

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Mostly city/backroads. Usually drive in eco but have been going on drives and pushing the car lately.

Tuning experience notes: Ktuner Stage 2 feels really quick right off the bat. Good for people who don’t drive on the highway. TSP Stage 1 is much more smooth and really puts power down past 50-60 mph. Car feels much more like a hot hatch.
Sponsored