The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Barry

Banned
Banned
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
Everyone knows that tuning improves performance. But what about reliability and safety? I created this tuning survey thread to document just that. Members can include pics, videos, dyno results and timeslips, if desired.

If you have a tuned 10th gen (or were tuned in the past), help the community and post your experience here. Civic Si, non-Si 1.5T, Type R, 2.0 NA.

Please use the format below when posting your information:

Vehicle
: 2017 Civic EX-L sedan

Total tuned time: 24 months

Total tuned mileage: 12,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata CARB Flashpro, currently using KTuner V2

Tunes used: Hondata +6 and homemade +7.5 / KTuner 21 / Customized TSP Stage 1 for non-Si (current)

Fuel used: Sunoco 93 Ultra (exclusively)

Additional engine mods: PRL silicone hose / aFe Pro Dry S filter combo

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first time tuning and I've gone from total tuning novice to now feeling comfortable enough to help others with tuning. I've never had a mod transform a car like tuning has. The main reason I tuned was to reduce the feeling of turbo and CVT lag when quickly going from light to heavy throttle. Tuning has definitely reduced the lag by maybe 90% and gives me a completely different driving experience. My car went from a peppy commuter to a bit of a sleeper beast. My mpgs are only slightly lower since tuning. Mostly due to a heavier foot. :thumbsup:

-----------------

At the end of your post you can attach pics, timeslips, videos, dyno results, etc...

View attachment 180753 View attachment 180754

-----------------------------------

TUNED CIVIC X RELIABILITY SURVEY STATS (as of 4/6/20)

Total tuned participants: 231
Total tuned miles driven: 3,298,500 (estimated)
Most tuned miles: choo's '17 Sport Hatch (81,000+)

Tuned cars with major failures: 5 *
Percentage of tuned cars running reliably: 97.8% **

Transmission type: CVT (78); Manual (153)

Hondata used as tuning device: 59
KTuner used as tuning device: 185
JB4 used as tuning device: 1

Pro custom tune file used: 49
Most used non-base tune: TSP Stage 1 (84)

Most tuned vehicle: Civic Si
Most used fuel: 93 octane (121)
Popular mods: PRL Cobra, K&N drop-in

* 2 of the cars had failed CVT's (both replaced under warranty). 1 car had faulty injectors and a blown head gasket. 1 car blew an engine running an E35/meth setup. 1 car blew an engine on the racetrack.

** There were minor issues reported here and there with the stock clutch, an injector issue, some fuel trim and knock control funkiness depending on intake and gas used, etcetera. None of these issues were major.

Survey Notes: From the surveys taken so far, base tunes (on a more or less stock 10th gen) appear to be safe. Properly tuned, adding bolt-ons can be reliable, too. The issues seem to happen mostly when power output is pushed too high, owners attempt to self-tune, the car is continuously driven to the limit (like on the racetrack) or it's been abused. - gtman
Vehicle: 2018 Honda Civic touring 1.5 cvt

Total Tuned Time: 5 months

Total Tuned Mileage: 12k plus

Tuning Device: Ktuner v2

Tunes used: Ktuner 21 starter

Additional Mods: Prl cold air intake, prl catted downpipe
Issues- wasnt make boost but was recently resolved

Jay_Tech

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Reposting with update again..
Vehicle:
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupé

Total tuned time: 7 months

Total tune mileage: 16,000 KM

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v2, Now using Hondata

Tunes used: Currently using Hondata +6psi. Used to use Dual 19.5/23 psi tune, Custom tune that eases into the boost to have a smoother more gradual torque curve. TSP tune still going to be purchased eventually...

Fuel used: 93 octane

Additional engine mods: PRL SRI, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can.

Driving style: Slightly aggressive when going to work. Spirited when out for a cruise. Very aggressive when on the track or when I take a trip to “Mexico”

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
**SNIP**

Additional engine mods: PRL SRI, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can.

Driving style: Slightly aggressive when going to work. Spirited when out for a cruise. Very aggressive when on the track or when I take a trip to “Mexico”
How long have you had the Mishimoto oil catch can?
Any comments / user review you would like to share?
I've been thinking of adding that for my hatch for the last couple months...

integraboi

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport, Mk4 Jetta VR6
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT

Total tuned time: 2 months

Total tuned mileage: 5,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner

Tunes used: Base Map

Fuel used: 91 (Mostly Costoco, Fastrip, and Arco)

Additional engine mods: RV6 Catless Downpipe

Driving style: Lots of highway miles and spirited city driving

Tuning experience notes: I disabled my CEL through Ktuner and I haven't gotten a CEL since I installed my downpipe. This is my first car that I have ever tuned and I have to say it's been awesome! One slight problem I have seen is sometimes my car kind of lurches at 2.8K-3k rpm in either 2nd or 3rd gear when I drive slow. I assume that this is a tuning issue since it popped up when I installed my downpipe. An etune or a proper custom tune could solve this.
I have the exact same issue, thought I was just overthinking it..

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 civic Si.

Total Tuned Time: 1.3 months.

Total Tuned Mileage: *Update 05/01/2020* 1500ish miles now. (6 FULL tanks still a little over half of a tank left)

Tuning Device Used: KTuner V2.

Tunes & Settings Used: *Update 05/01/2020* [PRIMARY & Current Tune Starter ~ Base/23.5] (Throttle Response 1. 2-STEP SETUP @ 3950k-4000k-No Rev hang)

Fuel Used: 93 Only.

Additional Engine Mods: PRL silicone hose / K&N panel replacement filter.

Problems/Issues: *Update 04/16/2020* *NEW* If you pull through all of the gears then I don't have this issue* *OLD>>>* Clutch slipping 4th+gears or between 3k-4k with throttle response on 1 or 2. I don't really seem to have this issue much with the factory throttle response.

Driving Style : I average 33+ Mpg in the City, Although I do send it more frequently when quarantined for an extensive amount of time.

Tuning Experience Notes: *Update* 05/01/2020 I am less paranoid about blowing it up now lol. *Update 04/23/2020* Lots of paranoia about blowing it up... Lol.
Peddle dance become a habit.... I can see where my engine mounts have been full torque lol...

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
TUNED CIVIC X RELIABILITY SURVEY STATS
(as of 4/9/20)

Total tuned participants: 233
Total tuned miles driven: 3,312,500 (estimated)

Tuned cars with major failures: 5
Percentage of tuned cars running reliably: 97.9%

Transmission type: CVT (79); Manual (154)

Hondata used as tuning device: 60
KTuner used as tuning device: 187
JB4 used as tuning device: 1

Pro custom tune file used: 49
Most used non-base tune: TSP Stage 1 (84)

Most tuned vehicle: Civic Si
Most used fuel: 93 octane (122)

Jay_Tech

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
How long have you had the Mishimoto oil catch can?
Any comments / user review you would like to share?
I've been thinking of adding that for my hatch for the last couple months...
I have only had it for a few months, but so far I am seeing it catch a little bit of blow by fuel vapours and oil. I make sure to check it every month. I pretty much have it as a preventative. I know from past vehicles that were direct injected, the engine got pretty gunked up when they had a lot of miles on them. So to prevent this I decided to put the catch can on right away. People will warn of the can freezing over in the winter but Ive never experienced this. And I live in An area that gets really cold winters. I just make sure to check it more often in very cold temperatures.

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I have only had it for a few months, but so far I am seeing it catch a little bit of blow by fuel vapours and oil. I make sure to check it every month. I pretty much have it as a preventative. I know from past vehicles that were direct injected, the engine got pretty gunked up when they had a lot of miles on them. So to prevent this I decided to put the catch can on right away. People will warn of the can freezing over in the winter but Ive never experienced this. And I live in An area that gets really cold winters. I just make sure to check it more often in very cold temperatures.
Thanks!
I plan to get for the same reason -- as a preventative.
Us in the B.C. west coast don't get the nut freezing winters Ontario gets ;).

Just out of curiosity, where did you buy your oil catch can from?
I know you can order it directly from Mishimoto, but just seeing where another fellow Canadian gets his Civic parts from.

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
I have a serious question. I have a 19 coupe si I have a fp/dp & a cold air intake . I am debating on between ktuner or an exhaust . Does ktuner do a HUGE difference especially with the mods I have rn? Please help . Thanks !
YES

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Updated page

Added PRL catted downpipe and turbo swap

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_20200330_135123

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a serious question. I have a 19 coupe si I have a fp/dp & a cold air intake . I am debating on between ktuner or an exhaust . Does ktuner do a HUGE difference especially with the mods I have rn? Please help . Thanks !
Uhhhh YEA! Lol... I keep up with the California special crowd killers(460hp).... until about 95mph .... Don't worry man, I freaked out when first tuning it... and even felt bad.... but I have been tuned for over a month and no abnormal issues. If you are worried about blowing it up, get the K-TUNE v2 so you can watch your knock control... ,49-.59 is a good range. it should stay at .49 though. If you get knock counts then your fuel grade may not be all that great with the tune you choose.

Just keep this in mind, the engine is rated for 20.3psi and is guaranteed to operate normally within those ranges for the most part depending on your fuel and maintenance. The extra 3psi is not much of a risk if you look at it like that.

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
Uhhhh YEA! Lol... I keep up with the California special crowd killers(460hp).... until about 95mph .... Don't worry man, I freaked out when first tuning it... and even felt bad.... but I have been tuned for over a month and no abnormal issues. If you are worried about blowing it up, get the K-TUNE v2 so you can watch your knock control... ,49-.59 is a good range. it should stay at .49 though. If you get knock counts then your fuel grade may not be all that great with the tune you choose.

Just keep this in mind, the engine is rated for 20.3psi and is guaranteed to operate normally within those ranges for the most part depending on your fuel and maintenance. The extra 3psi is not much of a risk if you look at it like that.
Thank you earlier I was wondering if my knock count was okay you just basically answered my question

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 6EE5D129-C546-4567-BCF0-6A3EC5FDC91A

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you earlier I was wondering if my knock count was okay you just basically answered my question

6EE5D129-C546-4567-BCF0-6A3EC5FDC91A.jpeg

**IMPORTANT EDIT**

DO NOT USE OCTANE BOOSTERS!

Ignore anything good I said about OCTANE BOOSTERS. I have tried several different types and every one of them end up causing my knock CONTROL ("K.CON") to shoot up after a while. Right before that happened though, my car stuttered, and pinged.? I never jump on the throttle instantly anymore, so who knows what would have happened if I did WOT when this happened.

***BEFORE EDIT -- BELOW***
You are very welcome, beware though, unless you get it to rest at .49, I have seen it go back up on its own. You may try giving it some 25%-35% throttle pulls (8ish PSI) to 4k rpms for about 3-5 minutes, and it will go down and stay down most likely. Its very random when it happens but I have had it go back up as far .65 in just a few seconds for no reason what so ever... On the other note, I put in some octane booster a while back (STP OCTANE BOOSTER in the orange bottle) and it caused a crap ton of knocking, shuddering/misfiring ... Today, I put in some LUCAS octane booster, and it actually lowered my knock count by 75% ish. An example of how many knock counts I would have at 93 octane would be roughly 20-25 in a 20-30 minute period(I know its pretty much harmless at this low number. but if its detected and can be corrected, why not?)... Tonight I had roughly 6-10 in a two hour period. If you choose to do this, use it as instructed on the bottle. more octane booster doesn't always mean better lol. (All of this was done on the Starter tune "Base/23.5/no rev-hang/responsive throttle 1 and 3970k-4000k 2step)

Good luck man!

**EDIT** OCTANE BOOSTER IS NOT RECOMMENDED

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure KTuner doesn't recommend octane boosters. Hopefully JR can chime in.
Sponsored