www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm curious if anyone has any dyno info/video of a fully stock CTR vs a fully stock CTR with an after market intercooler such as PRL or MM.

Hondata did dyno testing of a stock CTR vs stock CTRs w/aftermarket intakes, which found that the OEM intake provided optimal results. I can't help but wonder plain and simple, what would dyno testing show of a stock CTR vs. stock CTR w/aftermarket intercooler.

A quick YT search pulls up dyno testing on CTRs with after market intercoolers and other modifications (such as Hondata or Ktuner tunes). I don't see anything that has stock intercooler vs aftermarket intercooler on a dyno, would be interesting to see. PRL states on their website:

Performance Gains:
  • Increased turbocharger spool
  • 3 horsepower & 11 ft/lb torque gains by simply bolting on
  • Major mid-range power gains
  • 50+ F degree drop in post charge air temperature at peak
  • Average of 32 F degree drop in post charge air temperature
  • Increased efficiency & consistency in power delivery
  • Increased engine safety

11 ft/lb torque is pretty decent...

Last edited:

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm curious if anyone has any dyno info/video of a fully stock CTR vs a fully stock CTR with an after market intercooler such as PRL or MM.

Hondata did dyno testing of a stock CTR vs stock CTRs w/aftermarket intakes, which found that the OEM intake provided optimal results. I can't help but wonder plain and simple, what would dyno testing show of a stock CTR vs. stock CTR w/aftermarket intercooler.

A quick YT search pulls up dyno testing on CTRs with after market intercoolers and other modifications (such as Hondata or Ktuner tunes). I don't see anything that has stock intercooler vs aftermarket intercooler on a dyno, would be interesting to see. PRL states on their website:

Performance Gains:
  • Increased turbocharger spool
  • 3 horsepower & 11 ft/lb torque gains by simply bolting on
  • Major mid-range power gains
  • 50+ F degree drop in post charge air temperature at peak
  • Average of 32 F degree drop in post charge air temperature
  • Increased efficiency & consistency in power delivery
  • Increased engine safety

11 ft/lb torque is pretty decent...
Because of how the Bosch ECU works with tourque targets,. Bolt ons will give you no gains without a tune. Maybe a couple horsepower improvement, but nothing worth mentioning.

That being said I noticed the turbo spooled faster when I installed my PRL intercooler, I had already installed a turbo blanket the week prior so most of the difference was from that. The huge benefit though was being able to do back to back to back pulls in the summer without losing power. With the stock intercooler I couldn't do more than one or two good pulls without feeling a noticable loss of power. Hondata or ktuner is the best thing you can buy for this platform to take advantage of any parts you install.

SilentMonkCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
Country flag
I have a 2017 civic SI with the TSP stage one tune at 24PSI. I'm ok with losing sum power once the car is heatsoaked. Losing 5 to 10 horse power is OK with me as long as I'm not spending 800 to a $1000. I just want a bolt on intercooler that works with the stock piping. No reason to swap it out on the si. Turbo is tiny
Smart man. I agree completely. The post quoted below is exactly why all the mods for the CTR are overpriced. Foolish people dropping the coin on way overpriced parts. Watch what happens to the parts prices once the CTR stops being made. All of these will come down to normal levels. Honda got people so desperate for a CTR they are paying ADMs and $750/month payments. Mod manufacturers see this and go. “Well it’s costing us $250 to produce our intercooler kits ready to be shipped out in the box. Meh these fools will pay a 200% markup to prove a point about their bank accounts”. It’s why the cost to mod the CTR is and will be for a good while a joke.

I’m not hating on anyone who has the money to drop on mods. I’m happy you can do what makes you happy in your life. However don’t for a second think you’re not foolish in spending $1000 for a $150 titanium intake tube. Just another example of how silly things are currently.

Another funny thing is even Mishi’s intercooler can’t keep up with multiple laps on a track. I don’t think any really can. Eventually the bigger core will heat soak completely and need a cool down.

You are in luck, Mishimoto sells one for the Si that is right in your price range @ $560, is bolt on, and more in line with the cost of the Civic Si compared to the CTR. https://www.mishimoto.com/honda-civic-15t-2016-performance-intercooler.html

MMINT-CIV-16SL_2_2.png
“More in line with the cost of the Civic Si”

Couldn’t imagine being this out of touch.

Yomny

First Name
Yomny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Interested, anyone else noticed quicker spoil up after an IC install? Normally the opposite could be said since more volume of air in bigger IC.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Intercooler FBDC6960-98E9-4315-B6D3-66607E89915A

Yes, pretty sure the car felt a little bit sluggish after upgrading the intercooler. I went with a Wagner and it’s massive compared to stock.

Was a little disappointed at first... then did the Perrin ACT sensor mod and the car came alive again, so am happy. Car also is not tuned yet.

Interested, anyone else noticed quicker spoil up after an IC install? Normally the opposite could be said since more volume of air in bigger IC.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
What’s the consensus on an intercooler being the first and only mod on a Type R? I’m happy with the stock power, but it does get noticeably heat soaked living in FL

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get the 2020 FK8 Grill + 2020 Radiator. If that doesn't help, then get an IC.
Had these OEM parts been available a year ago, I would've gone this route; this setup costs way less than getting aftermarket FMIC alone.

For lack of a better choice (2020 grille still not available for sale :( and probably won't be for months), I went with eBay grille + PRL FMIC. These consistently keep IAT2 temp at around ambient + 10F when moving.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That won't do much to lower air charge temps and prevent power loss from ignition being pulled.

It'll just help with coolant temperature and oil temperature and combat engine overheating

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That sounds like it would help with engine temps, but not intercooler IAT’s? I don’t track the car. I’m referring to spirited driving.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That won't do much to lower air charge temps and prevent power loss from ignition being pulled.

It'll just help with coolant temperature and oil temperature and combat engine overheating
That’s what I was thinking. So there is no downside to just upgrading the IC on an otherwise stock car ? I was considering the Perrin.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That’s what I was thinking. So there is no downside to just upgrading the IC on an otherwise stock car ? I was considering the Perrin.
As long as you don't get a ginormous one (super tall and thick) that will block a bunch of airflow from the radiator, I don't see any downside other than a little more weight on the front end and less cash in your pocket lol

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As long as you don't get a ginormous one (super tall and thick) that will block a bunch of airflow from the radiator, I don't see any downside other than a little more weight on the front end and less cash in your pocket lol
PRL specs:
26.5 x 3.5 x 7.25"
"3 horsepower & 11 ft/lb torque gains by simply bolting on "

PERRIN specs:
26"x 3.15"x 8.5"
"Adds 15-20ft-lbs of tq and 15-20whp. This part will give you straight bolt on power. No specific tuning is required.."
Sponsored