@monocivicx IG
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic CVT 1.5T
Country flag
@monocivic How's this turbo holding up ?This is the same turbo as the ones that are sold on ebay under the name MAMBA turbo upgrade td03 for the honda civic 1.5T (001-1557).They have a upgraded trust bearing kit vs the oem mitsubishi .

They also sell the upgraded compressor and turbine wheel as a kit along with the upgraded trust bearings to rebuild a oem turbo.(needs machine work then)
Yes they do have the same specifications as mine. However, I got mine from Amplify Performance who gets their turbo supplied from a well known turbocharger workshop in Malaysia. The one im using is a journal bearing still. They do also offer a TD04 but with BALL BEARING, most of the cars with this turbo has reduced lag even better results than some well known PNP.
Sponsored

monocivic

@monocivicx IG
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic CVT 1.5T
Country flag
For $1,800 you get a turbo that has almost the same Compressor Inducer, +3mm larger Compressor & Turbine Exducer right?
Well, YES it will breathe better than stock, but to get more power than the stock you need to increase the PSI right?
The TSP Stage 1 (which is a CAN tune) achieves (what they report) 260hp OR 237whp (whichever you prefer to see) on a stock turbo. That is 23psi and at a turbo flow rate of about 14lbs/min.
If you raise the PSI (on the MHI) up to the Max MAP pressure, it would possibly push 16lbs/min. So, with more boost you can achieve a possible 20hp over stock. Apples to Apples.

My intention in saying that the "MHI isn't really an upgrade over stock" is based on the margnal gain one would achieve at the cost of higher PSI.

Now, if perhaps you had a turbo that would produce 25lbs/min @16-17PSI you could manage the torque down and keep the horsepower. That is literally a "cooler" set-up. That's the upgrade, without having to run high pressures.

Hope that paints a clearer picture, no offense intended.
The gain is throughout the rev range doe. Which is great. I feel people are too obsessed with peak numbers. Like if you are tuning a naturally aspirated car, you dont necessarily have high peak hp and tq. However, the gain throughout the curve might be great. Like you might gain 20 hp somewhere else down low in the curve instead of peak hp.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Well you can't use the MHI upgraded turbo with TSP Stage 1 anyways. Also TSP Stage 2 on stock turbo makes around 270whp give or take a few, So I'd say this turbo could potentially give you at least 20whp or a little more out of it. Or pair the MHI with W1 Turbo Inlet and could run more efficient too.
I wasn’t inferring that the upgraded turbo would be used with a CAN tune.
I should have stated “on Pump Octane” - it’s easier to compare on one Fuel option at a time for general comparison.. it will marginally hold output in the top RPM better than stock.
But, for the cost it still isn’t worth the pressure increase.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
The gain is throughout the rev range doe. Which is great. I feel people are too obsessed with peak numbers. Like if you are tuning a naturally aspirated car, you dont necessarily have high peak hp and tq. However, the gain throughout the curve might be great. Like you might gain 20 hp somewhere else down low in the curve instead of peak hp.
Compressor size is comparably too close to achieve that much of an increase anywhere low. That turbo lives in higher boost; thus higher RPM to get the air flow up to speed.
It will breathe a tad bit better though...
Yes, I do agree that many are obsessed with numbers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LilToTo17

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Compressor size is comparably too close to achieve that much of an increase anywhere low. That turbo lives in higher boost; thus higher RPM to get the air flow up to speed.
That’s why I like W1 turbo. Sure it’s not oem quality but makes the necessary power to justify the cost.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That’s why I like W1 turbo. Sure it’s not oem quality but makes the necessary power to justify the cost.
That lowend torque loss though. It hurts drivability. It hurts around town 'performance' if you will. Hell, it even hurts 1/4 mile times or straight line performance on cars with street tires. You can't rev high enough without losing traction, trying to get to a decent torque without slicks. The stock turbo will outperform it in both of these scenarios despite how much hp the 27Won has.

At least this turbo tries to be the happy medium but that $2k cost though hurts a LOT.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
That lowend torque loss though. It hurts drivability. It hurts around town 'performance' if you will. Hell, it even hurts 1/4 mile times or straight line performance on cars with street tires. You can't rev high enough without losing traction, trying to get to a decent torque without slicks. The stock turbo will outperform it in both of these scenarios despite how much hp the 27Won has.

At least this turbo tries to be the happy medium but that $2k cost though hurts a LOT.
Nothing you can't solve with boost by gear and advanced vsa. Stright line performance, rolling start, canyon driving, track... will be much better with the W1 vs stock.

OP
OP
LilToTo17

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nothing you can't solve with boost by gear and advanced vsa. Stright line performance, rolling start, canyon driving, track... will be much better with the W1 vs stock.
Forreal lol. The Si’s have those better features on Ktuner too lol

OP
OP
LilToTo17

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

the best W1 1/4 mile run ever. Oh and full interior lol. Right tuning with boost by gear and low end torque wouldn’t really matter. Just run proper slicks, meth injection, push the turbo to it’s limit, and bang gears is all you need. Also he was trusting Ktuners new antilag feature that hasn’t been released yet

Last edited:

monocivic

@monocivicx IG
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic CVT 1.5T
Country flag
Hmm well i guess it depends on the person. Im happy with mine as I got an increase in torque of 40 Nm @2000 rpm

OP
OP
LilToTo17

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm well i guess it depends on the person. Im happy with mine as I got an increase in torque of 40 Nm @2000 rpm
Thought low end torque wasn't good for 10th gen civic rods lol

monocivic

@monocivicx IG
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic CVT 1.5T
Country flag
Thought low end torque wasn't good for 10th gen civic rods lol
Hmm as far as I know as long as its below the torque limit of what the rods should be able to do it should be fine. What I need to be careful of is my CVT actually as far as I know. Well that was what I was told by tuners here. Im planning to change internals anyways in the future and even upgrade the turbo again with a TD04 ball bearing XD.

OP
OP
LilToTo17

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm as far as I know as long as its below the torque limit of what the rods should be able to do it should be fine. What I need to be careful of is my CVT actually as far as I know. Well that was what I was told by tuners here. Im planning to change internals anyways in the future and even upgrade the turbo again with a TD04 ball bearing XD.
Well from what everyone knows around the US is that the CVT's can handle up to around 250tq
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.