Favorite Brake Pads......GO!

few35t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR CTR, 2010 Civic Si
Country flag
Just placed an order for the akebono pads from rock auto myself. Oem pads only have 1200 miles on em but I have some volks coming in and would like to keep em clean!
Sponsored

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
Just placed an order for the akebono pads from rock auto myself. Oem pads only have 1200 miles on em but I have some volks coming in and would like to keep em clean!
I was in exactly the same situation....just got my Volks and after every single drive my wheels needed to be wiped down. The Akebono's absolutely solved the problem for me! Next to no dust and plenty of braking performance for the street. You will absolutely love them!!:headbang:

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Swapped out my fronts yesterday and installed girodisc rotors
Honda Civic 10th gen Favorite Brake Pads......GO! IMG_20200316_182330

After removing the original pads I noticed I had a little more material than I initially thought but oh well.

Put in hawk hps 5.0s and bed them in. Initial bite is really strong and it took me a little to get used to it and not over brake. This morning I got up to the top of 4th gear and hit the brakes hard. While the car is much more stable than stock with no wiggling or movement, they don't feel like they decelerate anywhere near how the OEM ones did. I'm hoping it's just some of the material on the rotors and pads needs to be worn off and then it'll be better.
Light to moderate braking is improved and more responsive however which is weird.
When I brakes hard at high speed abs didn't even kick in and it was raining.

I did forget to spray the new rotors down with brake cleaner to clean and packing or manufacturing oils/grease off so maybe that has something to do with it.

Update: after a few hours of driving and a bunch of hard braking they work as effectively as I imagined they should. Abs kicks in like it should.

At first, pressing as hard as I could I would only get -.85 longitudial g's. Now after some use it gets up -1.2.

This brake setup feels much more controlled under heavy braking, with the stock rotors and pads I would get a good bit of wiggle braking from high speeds

Last edited:

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Interesting. I downshift the whole way too (since it's so easy) but every chance I get I'll go through corners, exits, and on ramps as close to the limit as comfortable, which is pretty high. I have a few really good routes to drive close to where I live and every weekend where it's not raining I'll do a bunch of spirited driving kicking in the brake vectoring constantly. I'll drive them during the week too if I'm not too tired. It's a lot of speeding up and slowing down. Plus when it's super late at night I'll hit the highway to data log high speed, high load runs to make sure the car can handle it without any knock retard. Which equates to a lot of braking from 140-160mph back down to around 80. It's not hard braking, but enough.

I had to replace my rears at just over 11k miles and I'm about to replace my fronts when my girodiscs get delivered. Though the fronts still have a little life I'm upgrading and swapping out the rotors/pads for the tail of the dragon next month.

Can agree. My rears were shot at around 6k miles went back to the dealer they told me brakes are not part of the warranty... I'm pretty sure Merc's covers brakes for 1 year.

Oh the oe tires went bald at the same time. Lot of canyon driving so I can't blame.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
For the Akebono guys, are these the right ones? My mechanic is saying they don’t fit.

Honda Civic 10th gen Favorite Brake Pads......GO! 562E26FF-0734-4DA0-89FF-84B95977D633

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
For the Akebono guys, are these the right ones? My mechanic is saying they don’t fit.

562E26FF-0734-4DA0-89FF-84B95977D633.png
I initially did the same. Rock Auto has them listed to fit. Had to argue for the return via email. No one to talk to anymore. Explained to them the categorization was wrong. They thanked me for the clarification. Guess they haven't changed the site yet

DaveGrohl

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Fit EX
Country flag
Akebonos on the way from Rock Auto, thanks for the advice. I drive street only.

I have brake dust residue on my cement driveway from washing wheels... made it easy to explain to my wife why I needed new brake pads on a brand new car

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
TYPE R 19, Sienna XLE15, Xa 06, Camry 92
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
These are old but anyone hear or use Porterfield R4-S pads.

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
These are old but anyone hear or use Porterfield R4-S pads.
I had those on a GT500 I used to have, worked well but were dusty as hell.:thumbsup:

dixie1

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renault Megane RS Lotus Exige V6 and soon Honda civic type R 2018
Country flag

winsanity324

@WNSNTY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yes , one off the best brake pads in the world ,I drive them for 10 years on my Renault Megane RS , never have fading or brake problems on track ,pads are the same for the Honda , you have to buy the CC40 (new name for ME 20) circuit compound EP357
https://www.rhdjapan.com/endless-br...p9a-ct9-cz4a-g-b-g-f-ya5-vab-sg9-bes-b-5.html
Thanks for the reply!

Did you happen to daily drive on them at all? How were they for a little street use? Looking for something great At the track and still decent for a bit of street use.
Sponsored