First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought an Acuity Short Shifter. I had hoped that it would give me precise crisp shifts like the bolt action of a rifle or my faulty memory of what my Porsche 356C had. I was unhappy at how hard the spring was, but it loosened up fine now! It is very precise, but not crisp! I was wondering if firmer cable bushings would make it crisp? If so, then how close is it to a bolt action rifle? Would a motor mount help?
Sponsored

Last edited:

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I bought an Acuity Short Shifter. I had hoped that it would give me precise crisp shifts like the bolt action of a rifle or my faulty memory of what my Porsche 356C had. I was unhappy at how hard the spring was, but it loosened up fine now! It is very precise, but not crisp! I was wondering if firmer cable bushings would make it crisp? If so, then how close is it to a bolt action rifle?
Was the Porsche linkage actuated?

OP
OP
10GenPearlSi

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was the Porsche linkage actuated?
It had a shaft that went back to the transmission. The shift lever went directly to a teflon bushing bolt in a tube. The bolt rotated the shaft and moved it back and forth. It worked just like the bolt in a bolt action rifle. If memory serves.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Figured as much. Pretty sure you're not going to get the same feel of a direct or linkage actuated transmission as with a cable actuated one, regardless of what you do.

OP
OP
10GenPearlSi

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine feels more precise than my mosin nagant
Mine feels incredibly precise too, but not crisp. Does yours feel crisp? Did you replace the cable bushings ? Do you have a motor mount?

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
no motor mount or bushings, don't know how to describe crisp, but feels close to perfect cept when its cold like below 50 and better than any shifter that i've used/had--- 66 chevelle, 66 gto, 65 mustang, wifes 99 miata, and all the toyota trucks.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
I got the short shifter, solid shifter mounts and centering spring and was a bit underwhelmed too. It's definitely better than stock but not as nice as a CTR shifter, pretty close though but it lacks the smoothness of it and feels a bit grittier even after replacing the trans fluid with Amsoil. As fenix-silver stated though, we got cables and that will never be as nice as solid linkage. The shift cable bushings will probably get it closer though, I don't think a motor mount will change that. I'm actually thinking of doing the urethane job on the stock one and putting it back on. the hasport 62 is nice and definitely gives more feel for the car but the added NVH are starting to get on my nerves after 30k and there are new rattles that are popping up. Since I drive the car about 40k km/year, I'd rather get a bit more sluggish feel from the car and have the rattles come in after 150-200k.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I got the short shifter, solid shifter mounts and centering spring and was a bit underwhelmed too. It's definitely better than stock but not as nice as a CTR shifter, pretty close though but it lacks the smoothness of it and feels a bit grittier even after replacing the trans fluid with Amsoil. As fenix-silver stated though, we got cables and that will never be as nice as solid linkage. The shift cable bushings will probably get it closer though, I don't think a motor mount will change that. I'm actually thinking of doing the urethane job on the stock one and putting it back on. the hasport 62 is nice and definitely gives more feel for the car but the added NVH are starting to get on my nerves after 30k and there are new rattles that are popping up. Since I drive the car about 40k km/year, I'd rather get a bit more sluggish feel from the car and have the rattles come in after 150-200k.
I believe OP is referring to the FULL Acuity shifter assembly and not the short shift adapter. I have the CTR shifter w/ full Acuity parts and I enjoy it. I wouldn't say that the "crispness" is any better than with the regular Si shifter, it just has shorter throws. I only did the CTR shifter vs the adapter w/ my Si shifter because the CTR shifter is cheaper.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
i just put my full acuity shifter in and i love it, much better than the stock SI shifter. the spring is indeed very stiff right now, but i assume that will get a little looser with use. i cut the ROD on my shifter to make it sit a little lower than the 10mm that was allowed from the factory. its not super crisp, but the shifts are super precise now, and the shorter throws are so much nicer than the stock shifter. also i no longer have any issues with 2nd or reverse lockout when trying to shift into those gears.

OP
OP
10GenPearlSi

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bump! Surely there is someone on this forum that installed the Acuity short shifter and the cable bushings that can tell me if it feels crisp? Help please!

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Bump! Surely there is someone on this forum that installed the Acuity short shifter and the cable bushings that can tell me if it feels crisp? Help please!
Everyone's definition of "crisp" is going to be different, so you likely aren't going to get an absolute answer. I have the CTR shifter w/ all of the Acuity shifting pieces and a motor mount insert and I find the shifting to be very satisfying, so I can only imagine the short shifter is even more so. Obviously a motor mount is going to add NVH, so the trade off might not be worth it for you.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had it with the Acuity cable bushings. It’s not as crisp as a bolt-action rifle but very precise and firm. Throw is short and action is little gritty.

I now have the 2020 CTR shifter assembly with the Acuity cable bushings. This is probably closer to what you want as the action is smoother but not as firm.
Sponsored