OP

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
This isnt really news I’ve been saying this for a long time as have others
So IC wont help combat overheating but itll still provide a power gain over stock IC though?

Debating to get one now.

I dont track
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
So IC wont help combat overheating but itll still provide a power gain over stock IC though?

Debating to get one now.

I dont track
The IC will help combat overheating of the intercooler as the stock IC is known to heat soak relatively easily. That's easy enough to show. I feel like for DD applications, an IC definitely is useful, but it does change the power dynamics of the car overall. When I went from stock IC to PRL IC I felt the car become smoother overall with maybe slight power boosts (if that) in the midrange (2-4k) but almost 0 peak gain up high. In terms of power gains, I felt more when I swapped wheels.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag

Debating to get one now.

I dont track
If you don't track your car definitely get one. Will help with heat soak and losing power too.

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
This is common sense, and airflow was the primary reason for overheat conditions on track. Improved in 2019, and now even better in 2020.

All the people blowing hundreds or thousands of dollars on IC's who don't even track their cars.... SMH.

I instructed for 10 events last year at VIR in my 2019 stock Type-R. Not once did I overheat running at an instructor pace. One brutal August weekend for NASA, I got a warning, so I cranked the heat up on the back straight and finished the session without incident.

View attachment 208073

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
All the people blowing hundreds or thousands of dollars on IC's who don't even track their cars.... SMH.
View attachment 208073
Are we talking about the same car? The car's power consistency is dramatically impacted by intake temperatures. This is almost certainly a bigger problem off the track because the car is more often at lower speeds. Have you ever driven a Type R on a hot summer day on the street? It can be down over 100 horsepower just because of IATs.

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Are we talking about the same car? The car's power consistency is dramatically impacted by intake temperatures. This is almost certainly a bigger problem off the track because the car is more often at lower speeds. Have you ever driven a Type R on a hot summer day on the street? It can be down over 100 horsepower just because of IATs.
The problem is related to airflow (or lack thereof).

So what good is putting a larger IC going to do sitting in stop & go traffic on the 405?

Even at low speeds, the effect would largely be negligible, would it not?

I have a Z06. Lot's of street guys put lower temp thermostats in. On the track, when the thermostat is wide open, it makes no difference as it isn't the limiting factor in the cooling system.

I can't imagine a Type-R (or Z06 for that matter) needing more cooling in street use, but maybe that's my own misunderstanding...

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Engineer States Adding a Bigger IC Won't Combat Overheating 20190518_183111

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
While I don't doubt a larger intercooler blocks additional airflow to the radiator, it definitely helps with the IAT's. I presume the Type-R intercooler is bigger than the Si's but not by much. I definitely believe there's benefits to a bigger one.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
Just get a Koyo rad and be done with it. Drastic difference. Even in 105 degrees I never saw over 197. That’s with a giant intercooler in the way.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
While I don't doubt a larger intercooler blocks additional airflow to the radiator, it definitely helps with the IAT's. I presume the Type-R intercooler is bigger than the Si's but not by much. I definitely believe there's benefits to a bigger one.

you weren’t paying attention to what was said.... yes the IC will temporarily reduce IATs. By the car running more power for longer you’re increasing the ECT which then soaks again and raises IAT.

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
I know Boehm was talking about the R but is this statement true for the Si's 1.5T as well or just the Type R's 2.0T?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Putting a larger/thicker core in front of a radiator is going to block more air vs a smaller/thinner core. It's nothing new.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Would HKS IC be the best then?
Honestly depends on application. A tube and fin design will give you better airflow overall and weight savings. But it does come at a cost. Lighter weight means that it’s easier to heat soak. But there is also less to cool down when needed. The better airflow also means better cooling given constant airflow and that it won’t block the radiator and stuff behind it as much (keep in mind that the air that goes through it will get heated). The bar and plate designs are generally heavier which means they can take in more heat so they are less prone to heat soak. They can also handle higher boost. I’d also imagine that once one of these is heat soaked, it’ll take longer for it to cool down compared to a tube and fin.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
RE: What Russell from Acuity mentioned on Page 2 of this thread.

A Race-Style radiator: A High Performance Core with what is called "B" Tube Technology and multi-louvered fins, as well as a reverse-flow orientation design for lower outlet temperatures (necessary with the car’s intercooler placement in front of the lower portion of the radiator).
Description:
Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Engineer States Adding a Bigger IC Won't Combat Overheating hpd2_1-2-1170x780

AND/OR

A Bar & Plate Oil Cooler with "Dual-Pass"
Description:
  • CSF #8119 Universal High Performance Bar/Plate Oil Cooler as Factory Engine Oil Cooler
  • Solves High Engine Oil Temperatures, High Engine Water Temperatures, and Common “Limp Mode”
  • Placed Underneath Passenger Headlight Using an HPD Mesh Insert vs. OEM Plastic for Airflow to the Oil Cooler
  • Durable Bar & Plate Design Withstands Impact of Road Debris
  • M22 x 1.5 Connections
  • 13″ L x 4.75″ H x 2.16″ W
This appears to be the only product listed to be released WORLDWIDE.
Assume that a PAIR of -10 AN hose would also be included (or not) depending your option to buy. Those would be a wise choice, as they would be custom fit for the FK8.

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Engineer States Adding a Bigger IC Won't Combat Overheating IMG_7380-4-1170x878

Last edited:

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Why Honda released the FK8 with as little cooling capacity as it has is a mystery to us though. I'm sure some engineer somewhere has a reason, good or not who knows.
If the car was developed and track tested in Japan/UK/on the Nurburgring, it's unlikely that the engineers ever encountered the types of temps we regularly see here in the States.

A very hot day at the Nurburgring is 80F. Same with the UK. Japan can get quite hot in the summer, but if Honda didn't run the car on track there in July or August, it's likely that very little track running was ever done in temps above 80F. At 80F ambient, the stock pads and fluid will give out before the car reaches limp mode from coolant temps.
Sponsored