Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I work in the service industry. My company charges $120.00 per hour. But you think about it, go to the dentist with no insurance, usually 2-300.00 per visit and your probably in and out in less than an hour. Go to take your pet to the vet, $1-200.00 for maybe 20 minutes? Go to the doctor and he sees you for 15 minutes, $200 or more.
But yeah, if you can't change the cabin filter with all the how to videos, you probably should just use public transportation.
Well..... it's hardly comparable.... What's the paycheck of the oil guy at the dealer compared to even a vet... Dentists go on safaris to hunt lions. Oil change boys don't. So the pay scale is not comparable.
No one goes to the dealer just to replace the cabin air filter. At least so I hope. It's done with other service. Once you paid $40-60 for the oil change and maybe more for other things, changing the cabin filter ads nothing except the part cost. But, I believe the easier and the more trivial the service the more it should be overpriced, because only the rich will pay for it, so the shop needs to get much profit from each. Most people don't rotate their tires or align their wheels by themselves but they go to a shop, so it's cheap. $15 for tire rotation, $80 for 4 wheel computerized alignment and $80 for cabin filter replacement sounds about right. :thumbsup: I never was so rich as to afford $80 for a cabin filter and I admire the generosity of the folks who are.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well..... it's hardly comparable.... What's the paycheck of the oil guy at the dealer compared to even a vet... Dentists go on safaris to hunt lions. Oil change boys don't. So the pay scale is not comparable.
No one goes to the dealer just to replace the cabin air filter. At least so I hope. It's done with other service. Once you paid $40-60 for the oil change and maybe more for other things, changing the cabin filter ads nothing except the part cost. But, I believe the easier and the more trivial the service the more it should be overpriced, because only the rich will pay for it, so the shop needs to get much profit from each. Most people don't rotate their tires or align their wheels by themselves but they go to a shop, so it's cheap. $15 for tire rotation, $80 for 4 wheel computerized alignment and $80 for cabin filter replacement sounds about right. :thumbsup: I never was so rich as to afford $80 for a cabin filter and I admire the generosity of the folks who are.
Wasn't talking about employees pay scale. I was comparing hourly service rates that you, the consumer pay.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Looks like this one should fit for us up north - https://www.amazon.ca/MAP-1044C-Replacement-Activated-ODYSSEY/dp/B01C5GYVXI/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Honda|59&Model=Civic|752&Year=2018|2018&ie=UTF8&n=6948389011&s=automotive&vehicleId=2&vehicleType=automotive&th=1

I only changed mine once in my 8th gen after like 80,000 KM, and it didn't even look very dirty. Added a few drops of essential oils on it for a makeshift air freshener, lasted a few weeks.
Wow! I'm envious of your air quality, here in Central Pennsylvania we've become the truck terminal/mega warehouse center of the east coast. It's gotta be the diesel exhaust from the thousands of trucks through here on a daily basis, plus we're also the pollen/allergy hub as well. I've been changing my filters once a year or every 10k/miles and they're quite dirty and almost black. Probably will change every 5k on the cabin filter from now on.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anyone used cabin filters that contain baking soda/activated carbon? Sometimes traveling involves passing close to very aromatic chemical plants or farms. Seams like a good idea, but in practice I doubt it offers much benefit. I'm afraid it could actually release some accumulated contaminants on a hot day. FRAM cabin filters of this sort cost $14-17 at Walmart, which seems like almost a fair price compared to just a piece of paper.

A well-made filter of this kind could be useful, if it could be easily and quickly regenerated. If the filter is replaced about once a year, it could be regenerated several times during it's life. For example by microwaving it (better not in the kitchen).

Cardinal

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
These stories are unbelievable! When I stop by my dealership for filters, the service guys offer to install at no charge. I just tell them I enjoy doing it myself. I did have them replace my wiper blades the morning I was leaving on a trip during a downpour. I went in to purchase them and as I was leaving through the service department, the service writer asked if I would like them to installed. I agreed, gave them the key and they brought the car inside, changed the blades and I was on my way. Again, no charge. That's why I only buy Hondas and only from this dealer.

oberstja

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
These stories are unbelievable! When I stop by my dealership for filters, the service guys offer to install at no charge. I just tell them I enjoy doing it myself. I did have them replace my wiper blades the morning I was leaving on a trip during a downpour. I went in to purchase them and as I was leaving through the service department, the service writer asked if I would like them to installed. I agreed, gave them the key and they brought the car inside, changed the blades and I was on my way. Again, no charge. That's why I only buy Hondas and only from this dealer.
My local dealership unfortunately tries to nickel and dime me for just about everything. I've had a few pleasant experiences with them however, I bought my 2020 rear diffuser for a great deal through them and I was the last person to get both parts in before they got backordered. But they also offer this $80 filter replacement service and it's such a joke.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
This is the usual experience at my dealer although I've learned to do filters & wipers by myself. Sadly, this current crisis has effected them like all of us, about 80% of the service staff has been laid off and they've only got a skeleton crew.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Install at no charge is still not so great if they overcharge much on the part itself.
I went to my dealer's parts store a couple of weeks ago for something else and on this occasion I asked about cabin air filters. They price them apparently at twice the retail price, which seems to be $20, already overpriced for what it is (all thin paper). It would be nice if I could just buy everything from the dealer, instead of mail order. As it is, instead of giving me that price, the parts guy could have just said "we don't sell them to suckers like you" and it would mean to me exactly the same thing as him saying "sure, it's $39.99."

Last edited:

JackOfAllBlades

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 2.0L 6MT Lunar Silver Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Speaking of cabin filters, have any of you all found one that does a noticeably better job? Grabbed this Masuma one for when I need to change mine.

Honda Civic 10th gen Cabin Air Filter Service for $80 (LOL) Screenshot_20200329_232859_com.amazon.mShop.android.shoppin
Sponsored