2019 CTR's at Invoice?

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Or wait a month when UK plant closes for the rest of their months this year and can't buy a 2020 CTR at all and all the 2019's are gone. People saying dealers are selling below invoice or at sticker right now let's see some proof. No ones trying to throw their CTRs out the door here. Very few left, no 2020's in sight- a huge unknown right now.
There pics of a ton of 2020s Rs sitting at a lot that one posted on another thread on here and on the Facebook groups. And we have no idea how many are sitting overseas waiting to be shipped over too.
Sponsored

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Or wait a month when UK plant closes for the rest of their months this year and can't buy a 2020 CTR at all and all the 2019's are gone. People saying dealers are selling below invoice or at sticker right now let's see some proof. No ones trying to throw their CTRs out the door here. Very few left, no 2020's in sight- a huge unknown right now.
I think people are saying that based on their understanding of how markets function. Dealers will likely be selling at or below invoice in the near future (if they are even allowed to operate) just to keep the lights on. Consumer confidence and willingness to go out and car shop will be at record low levels. How do you increase demand in that case? Dramatically lower prices.

Inventory levels are rising across the industry, not falling. Yes, eventually some factories will be shuttered for an extended period of time, but no one will be buying any cars, so it will not have the effect on price you are anticipating.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven’t seen any pics of tons of 2020’s sitting on lots posted here, and the plant is closed for production and shipping and deciding ultimately what happens on April 6th.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If the UK plant closes early because of the pandemic, there are no more 2020 type Rs being made. So no production isn’t increasing currently and possibly not at all.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Not that I would buy a 2019 but there are currently 289 of them listed on CarGurus, some being almost 3k under sticker price - https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...E&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c28906

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
I think people are saying that based on their understanding of how markets function. Dealers will likely be selling at or below invoice in the near future (if they are even allowed to operate) just to keep the lights on. Consumer confidence and willingness to go out and car shop will be at record low levels. How do you increase demand in that case? Dramatically lower prices.

Inventory levels are rising across the industry, not falling. Yes, eventually some factories will be shuttered for an extended period of time, but no one will be buying any cars, so it will not have the effect on price you are anticipating.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 CTR's at Invoice? giphy

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If Swindon shuts down there will likely be no release until the 2021 LE and other 2020 (now marked as 2021s) emerge without change. That's not putting any more CTRs on the lots till year end as a 2021 or early next year if they move manufacturing to the the US. That's not increasing inventory as they sell the remaining 2019's.

April 6th we will know more than speculation, but I don't see everything resuming in 14 days as normal. We were placed on restricted necessary travel only today. Most businesses are closed or only doing curb side service unless they are deemed necessary to operate for economic and Human Resources like medical, food, supplies, etc.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I pretty much got mine for about as low as you can get one, for.

BFA30203-B481-4067-9AB8-E29C1B5FBB37.jpeg
Nice. When did you purchase yours? I think we're going to see the 2019's spike back up with ADM if the Swindon plant fails to reopen and the release of the 2020 refresh is pushed (Even if only by a few months). Having a VIN doesn't guarantee you the purchase of the car and neither does a deposit, as I have ordered loaded Nissans from a dealership I actually worked for back in the day, and ordered vehicles didn't always show up according to plan or timeline even without all of the current issues and potential delays. To me I'd much rather have a 2019 at $34k than a 2020 for at least 3k minimum more. The changes are not significant overall, glad I don't have the "Honda Sensing" and the open grilles look much more aggressive than the new "Nike Swoosh" or "Mustaches" on the 2020. With the 2020 design there's no good way to eliminate all the plastic in front due to the Honda Sensing (not even a mesh swap would work) and opening up the rear waffles or fake vents would be a minimal change to the appearance. DataLog you can do with Honda Hack on your head unit by yourself and pick up some fun apps like Netflix and YouTube to go along with it. I think the New 2020 steering wheel and shift boot are also going to be prone to wear much quicker than the leather wrapped wheel. This gives me very fond memories of the GT-R slight refreshes YOY and the changes I did and didn't like were swappable if your really desired them on your particular year vehicle. I'm personally going to pick up a set of the 2021 LE wheels when they hit just for the exclusivity of them despite looking extremely similar to the current wheels. In the end I have a good amount invested in my CTR at this point as the Honda accessories aren't cheap nor are the performance modifications you choose to make despite my dealership being better than any service department I've ever worked with. The shorter "throws" and suspension tweaks will undoubtedly be minimal and engine cooling is really only a concern on track days, not day to day driving. and the 2020 will likely need some mods for cooling if you do track it. I don't have anything scientific data wise to throw around yet (waiting for summer), but opening the front bumper vents does lend to more air flow to the radiator or oil coolers as you can clearly see the radiator once you remove the OEM vents in the bumper. I simply struggle with a base CTR and no upgrades as I'm use to driving a car with high end fit and finish inside and out. Anyone doing significant add ons since Honda doesn't offer them from the factory, are looking at 50k-60k once you drop all the options and mods into the car if you desire the car as it was meant to be and not just a base CTR. If you really are in no rush, you can always wait out the storm and see what happens but if you are looking for the best buy I'd pull the trigger prior to April 6th. Just my opinion. Even if the 2020's make it out in April you'll be hard pressed to find 2019's lower than 34k. And I'd imagine dealers will begin throwing ADM onto the 2020's until all 2019's from their lot have sold. There may be a few minor exceptions but having worked for the largest dealership (non Honda) I know how the business woks and as I've said before no dealership is looking to hand out CTRs to break even or take a loss. Even at $34k they are still making money and room for the next CTR to put in it's place. Thanks for sharing as well fk-eight as that pic alone could potentially help someone get a better deal by showing proof of another dealership selling at a discounted price. I'm really looking forward to the review of the 2020 to see how the auto industry rates the changes overall.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also does anyone recall what date the 2018 and 2019 models started rolling into dealerships? Most articles said late this year for the 2020 in the US so I'm a bit curious how it got pushed from Winter of 2020 to as early as February 28th originally?

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
4 Feb 2020
yep perfect timing. I got mine Black Friday I paid a bout $500 more than you but it’s because I wanted the PMM instead of the one they wanted to put me in. Color preference was exactly what I wanted so it was def worth the extra $500 to me to pick the one I wanted instead of being told this is the one you’re getting. Not going to take the color I don’t want for $500 savings for a color I don’t like.