Is there a difference between the clutch of 2018 vs. 2020 or was their an issue with my old clutch?

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been trying to remember what my 2018 was like when I got it new but I can't.

Picked up my 2020 recently and the clutch feels a lot more stiff and "confident" compared to my 2018. The shifting also feels a bit heavier too and more confident as well.

I'm trying to figure out if maybe this is just the break in period and the clutch will lighten up a bit to how my 2018 was, or if there's a difference not mentioned between the years, or if my 2018 just had some issues with the clutch and transmission.

I'm not proud of it, but I money shifted twice in the 2018 and also beat on it like crazy, tons of WOT and ripping it through hills. When in comparison with the 2020 I noticed that the 2018 was a lot harder to get smoother shifts and also sometimes when I shifted I wouldn't get any notichiness or confidence between shifts.
Sponsored

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
No, same clutch. It really seems like these clutches are a bit hit or miss. I'm at 10K miles and my transmission has been nothing but a joy (besides clutch slip) from day 1. Some other people talk about less than stellar transmission performance though.

ShadowFiend

SanaBanana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
No, same clutch. It really seems like these clutches are a bit hit or miss. I'm at 10K miles and my transmission has been nothing but a joy (besides clutch slip) from day 1. Some other people talk about less than stellar transmission performance though.
I'm getting a lot of crunch from 2 - 3. I gave it the beans yesterday and most my 2nd to 3rd shift feels crunchy almost as if I'm metals scratching. Idk if there's a negative effect from this.

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
I've been trying to remember what my 2018 was like when I got it new but I can't.

Picked up my 2020 recently and the clutch feels a lot more stiff and "confident" compared to my 2018. The shifting also feels a bit heavier too and more confident as well.

I'm trying to figure out if maybe this is just the break in period and the clutch will lighten up a bit to how my 2018 was, or if there's a difference not mentioned between the years, or if my 2018 just had some issues with the clutch and transmission.

I'm not proud of it, but I money shifted twice in the 2018 and also beat on it like crazy, tons of WOT and ripping it through hills. When in comparison with the 2020 I noticed that the 2018 was a lot harder to get smoother shifts and also sometimes when I shifted I wouldn't get any notichiness or confidence between shifts.
you know the 2020's have a lower overall gear ratio. That gives the clutch some mechanical advantage transmitting torque. And should help make the clutches life a little easier.
In LA's stop and go traffic, I can often let the car idle along in gear with the clutch out @ around 5 mph.

EconoBox

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 2020 still has a dual mass flywheel and the same part numbers for the clutch disc and pressure plate. However, the flywheel for the 2020 is a new part number. Honda may have made some slight changes to it. Also the final drive gear ratio shortens the gears so the 2020 does feel a bit quicker all around.

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
The 2020 still has a dual mass flywheel and the same part numbers for the clutch disc and pressure plate. However, the flywheel for the 2020 is a new part number. Honda may have made some slight changes to it. Also the final drive gear ratio shortens the gears so the 2020 does feel a bit quicker all around.
Interesting!
Thanks,
Sponsored