Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 0296A77C-6666-491C-8F64-85D0ECF73611
Big Willow was the course we ran on. Here are the speeds I maintained after getting the hang of it. My best lap time was 1” 42 secs. I liked starting at the end of the group, so I had people to follow. Figured if the cars ahead of me could maintain their pace through the turns, then the Type R could also, especially with the Bridgestone RE71Rs and I felt safer. Was able to pass 4-5 cars on each of the last (2) sessions driving solo, even though my skills need a lot to work ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 2F87F711-E577-453D-AB59-AAAA16AED85B
My buddy took some video when it was my turn on the course. Here are some screen caps of me chasing a BRZ. I stayed on his tail but couldn’t quite get past him.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R AB9D1A9C-7DC1-4FD6-A03E-FE834FA1760E
We both were able to pass that Corvette on an earlier straight away.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 21181F5A-7EBC-41C7-8360-40E7314895F3
hitting 122-125 on the back straightaway that leads to a large sweeping turn. My buddy said I could easily maintain 120 through that turn, but I wimped out and usually took it at 103-110

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R BAE20349-0066-476C-A869-3148277AF66B
Getting the point by signal to pass this older Porsche on the main straightaway exiting that turn.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R BB2FB1D6-EF2F-49E2-A366-4615C4C6F4BF
Accelerating in 5th gear from about 95 mph heading to 120+

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 584EAECE-69B8-4CE7-93C7-44C698A27184
The Type R seems to pull all day. Very impressive and my car is not yet tuned, so imagine a stock CTR would perform similarly. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R E6651D0D-8C64-412B-84A2-9A2F8371F766

Here are the Bridgestone Potenza RE71R’s at the end of the track day. Was very thankful to have such grippy tires, because there were some times I overextended and carried too much speed in a turn or didn’t take it right. They never lost grip and kept me from going off track. Not crazy about wearing out expensive tires, but it beats the alternative, at least until I become a better driver, heh.

Opted to go without track insurance. Probably not smart, but it’s so expensive and I’m no where close to pushing the car’s limits. Edmond, the fellow Type R owner suggested picking up a (much) cheaper car to track and have fun with so less painful if ever wipe out, heh.

Didn’t experience any overheating or limp mode. In fact the temperature never exceeded the normal range. However Big Willow is a fast track and the sessions were maybe 20 minutes with (2) hours in between + it was a cool day. Kept the fuel level above 60%.

Was a great learning experience and was pretty humbling driving on the track. I consider myself to be a very competent driver on the street, but the track is a completely different (and fun) animal. Came away needing to practice downshifting smoothly while braking at the same time and heel toeing. Getting used to accelerating in turns rather than braking to maintain control and increase grip which seems so counter-intuitive... Basically, I need to relearn how to drive, haha.

I’d describe the experience equal parts, scary, exhilarating, super cool, fun and informative...Though the scary went away after getting a couple laps under the belt with the instructor providing guidance. Weather conditions were perfect. Couldn’t have asked for a better first experience, really.

Having gone through it once, can hardly wait for the next time! Normal street driving pales in comparison, heh.

The Type R is such a willing and capable machine. Never knew it could perform like that and I’m just a n00b. Was able to pass a couple Corvettes and also some other cars which is such a rush when you get the point by to pass. Will be watching other’s track videos with a different perspective from now on... which reminds me, FK8_Track_Pig, if you’re able, we need you to record and share the Nuhrburing next time you are on it, or post more pics ;)

Looking forward to hearing about your first track day..

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whoa...I’ll be darned Si_chRis...thank you very much for catching that! Didn’t realize they are directional... When I rotated the wheels, moved the fronts straight back (so they are correct), then moved the rears to the front and criss-crossed them like I would do with the OEMs, that’s why the fronts are backwards. Will switch the fronts to correct it! ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 436F889E-2A6B-4600-BC08-25ED06D88F2F

Front tires (backwards after cross crossing them)

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 447B777A-3D76-4998-945E-D32FD9C12F77

Rear tires mounted in correct orientation. Had moved them straight back.

Your tire is mounted backwards.

Last edited:

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That looked like a ton of fun in your Type R. Glad you didn't run into heat-soak issues. The weather was a godsend for sure.

Did you have to bring your own jack and jack stands? What's the largest and essential tool/supply that you must bring to the track? I'm thinking of bringing a two-seater there someday but not sure what to pack in the tiny trunk.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh yes, for sure Alan, it was absolutely a fun way to spend a day. There were tons of cool cars to see. Lots of cool folks that liked talking cars. I had the only Type R on the track that day so several drivers came over to see and ask questions. It was like a going to an all day meet where you also get to drive all out every (2) hours, heh. It was really helpful to go with a friend that’s had gone before, so hopefully you can join us next time.

As for items, I’d suggest taking:

Racing helmet *required*
Leather or driving gloves *required*
Leather closed toe shoes *required*
Long sleeve cotton shirt *required*
Jacket or warm clothes
Spare tire + tools to change it.
Front or rear tow hook or strap.
Map of the race track
Tools to work on your car if have known issues.
Zip ties and wire cutter to install lap transponder.
Folding chair
Tire pressure gauge.
Blue or green painter’s tape to protect your headlights or front end
Additional Fuel (if track doesn’t have a gas station nearby)
Washable window marker for your vehicle number
Extra oil, brake fluid or coolant
Paper towels
A jack, though other drivers probably have one.
Water, drinks or snacks. Willow Springs has a cafeteria. Not sure about other tracks.

**Track Vets, please chime in if I’ve missed anything**

Last edited:

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been reading up on Speed Ventures events. It's one of the few organizers that allow factory rollbars on my ragtop. Others require aftermarket roll protection.

https://www.speedventures.com/Events/

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R EB25FBBA-CB8B-4F68-9281-3C764B26F1B8
Removed the front tires to wash, inspect and reinstall in the correct orientation. Again, thank you Si_chRis for the observant heads up ;)

Didn’t realize performance tires were directional, heh.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R B368DD5E-9822-4280-8D42-AF9C0A44BC19
Tread isn’t too bad after a fun day at Big Willow. Washed the car afterwards to get off all the track crud off.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After having a positive experience and surviving my first trackday, I’ve begun working on the most significant vehicle mod:

Driving skills.

I’ve always considered myself a good driver: no tickets or accidents, drive a bit above the speed limit, but don’t cut in and out of traffic and don’t tailgate.

However there are skills specific to the track, especially heading into turns I am sorely lacking, which is heel toeing and downshifting.

Paul Blankenship, the AROSC instructor suggested mastering downshifting first, to where it feels like an automatic...before tackling heel-toeing.

Seems simple enough, but found I need to train myself to blip the accelerator to match revs before getting off the clutch and dropping gears.

My auto rev match is set to OFF. Really want to learn to do it myself.

Have been practicing downshifts on the daily commute whenever the opportunity presents itself. The best simulation for the track seems to be transitions from one freeway to the next. Carry speed heading into those wide sweeping turns, brake just before and downshift and accelerate through, when traffic permits.

Have a good transition on my way to work, so hopefully will become proficient with practice, then can move onto heel-toeing.

In preparation for this, moved the accelerator pedal from position C on the Acuity pedal spacer adapter, to new position B, which seems more conducive to heel-toeing.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 16DC2DFD-C55B-4A72-A21F-F3A86F47A95E
position C. Accelerator pedal is slightly lower than the brake. Apologies for the dirty car.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 404C6D24-761F-4AF4-AC83-BF396152C1CF
new position B. Accelerator is flush with the brake pedal.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 081BD722-B5A0-4020-ACA8-D70EAEB5F4C4
position C. Accelerator is slightly lower than brake. Closer to the stock location.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R F7F62BBE-180E-4B3C-A50F-C01438F4FF57
new position B. Accelerator pedal height matches brake more closely.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
After having a positive experience and surviving my first trackday, I’ve begun working on the most significant vehicle mod:

Driving skills.

I’ve always considered myself a good driver: no tickets or accidents, drive a bit above the speed limit, but don’t cut in and out of traffic and don’t tailgate.

However there are skills specific to the track, especially heading into turns I found I am sorely lacking, which is heel toeing and downshifting.

Paul Blankenship, the AROSC instructor suggested mastering downshifting first, to where it feels like an automatic...before tackling heel-toeing.

Seems simple enough, but found I need to train myself to blip the accelerator to match revs before getting off the clutch and dropping gears.

My auto rev match is set to OFF. Really want to learn to do it myself.

Have been practicing downshifts on the daily commute whenever the opportunity presents itself. The best simulation for the track seems to be transitions from one freeway to the next. Carry speed heading into those wide sweeping turns, brake just before and downshift and accelerate through, when traffic permits.

Have a good transition on my way to work, so hopefully will become proficient with practice, then can move onto heel-toeing.

In preparation for this, moved the accelerator pedal from position C on the Acuity pedal spacer adapter, to new position B, which seems more conducive to heel-toeing.

16DC2DFD-C55B-4A72-A21F-F3A86F47A95E.jpeg
position C

404C6D24-761F-4AF4-AC83-BF396152C1CF.jpeg
new position B

081BD722-B5A0-4020-ACA8-D70EAEB5F4C4.jpeg
position C

F7F62BBE-180E-4B3C-A50F-C01438F4FF57.jpeg
new position B
So jealous bro. I’d love to hit the track and learn to drive on a track.

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bet that was a fun day!

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 391A80C3-DE81-49AC-91A9-0A56E87CE3A0
Been a crazy few weeks... The onset of the Coronavirus has turned things upside down. Hoping no one here (or your family and friends) have gotten sick, quarantined, had jobs affected or worse.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R BCB7852A-8EB1-4D56-A031-8A1415CE9A51

Suddenly, it’s a mad scramble here in SoCal for canned or dried foods, rice, toilet paper, etc. The lines at Costco and grocery stores are ridiculous at the moment...Panic buying, probably. However it’s never a bad idea to stock up and be prepared. Disneyland, professional and kids sports and schools have been shut down. Please be careful and wash your hands often. Probably a good idea to wear nitrile gloves when in public. Besides providing a barrier, these may serve as a reminder not to touch your face.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 7FE93788-1C73-4101-A03B-CAC1D2562D64
Grabbed some survival groceries during lunch, then received an unexpected call from Evasive Motosports informing me the Voltex 2v rear wing had arrived. They were supposed to receive (5) on this shipment and I was #7 on the list, so wasn’t expecting one this soon. Went after work and picked it up. Gotta love the storage space in the R ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R FD9A634E-BCEB-4BF6-83BE-9CE8D3AEB1DD

Made a beeline to Beto’s Auto Body and Paint to get the carbon fiber pieces clear coated, which is a must...otherwise the sun will ruin the finish over time.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 179300D8-10C9-404F-94A0-304ED27EB69A
Beto’s offered to add a darker tint to the clearcoat, but I opted to stay with just the clear.. The Voltex CF weave looks pretty good as is. Probably have until Monday to change my mind.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 5C3FDA92-DAC6-43F7-8EB5-5DE06589C19E
The end caps will also get clear coated but won’t do the support brackets because the powder coated matte finish would become glossy. After the clear coat is complete, it will be off to get ceramic’d.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 3BF032F6-9006-4B21-848C-47076DAFAF70
A preview of the Voltex 2v installed.

Last edited:

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hope you and your family as doing well during these critical times. Love the new spoiler and I’m sure it’ll help you around the track.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Glad to see you are already on the path to becoming a track junkie. The CTR is a great car for the track even though it is a bit fast for most newbies. Interesting how people who have never driven on a race track think they are really experiencing their car when in actual fact they are only scratching the surface.

I have taught at a number of HPDE and Time-Attack schools and there is no doubt that the vast majority of students are thrilled and the occasional one finds out that fast driving is not for them.

Unfortunately you may end up spending a lot more money on tires and brake pads than you originally thought was acceptable but it will all be worth it.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you Frank. We are doing well so far, knock on wood. Today seems like any other weekend other than events and activities have been cancelled.. and the shortages at grocery stores.

On one hand, here is to hoping it’s a better safe than sorry overreaction and hysteria...On the other hand, reading how other countries are going into full lockdown mode and the reasons for doing so is very concerning. It feels as if we are in the calm before the storm :(

Which makes me appreciate CivicX and its forum members even more. This is one of my few interests that hasn’t been adversely affected (yet) and also complies with social distancing which is nearly upon us.

If the toilet paper shortage continues, I may have to switch gears and start looking at toilet seat mods (Bidet) instead of car parts ;)

As for the Voltex 2V, pretty certain I’m nowhere near the level of driver that would be able to tell the difference. Wanted it primarily for looks, heh. Which in hindsight probably wasn’t the smartest move as clear coat, ceramic and tax will push the price tag close to $3k. Didn’t really think that one through before pulling the trigger :(

Amid the doom and gloom, did get some good news on the parts front... Finally received tracking info for the Raceseng tow hook ordered beginning of December... The longest I’ve waited and it’s not even a JDM part.

Hope you and your family as doing well during these critical times. Love the new spoiler and I’m sure it’ll help you around the track.
Sponsored

Last edited: