Should I buy, or should I pass?

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
...or, in a few years, Tesla may be bankrupt.
Unlikely. The current stock valuation for Tesla makes it worth more than the stock values of GM and Ford combined. That is is a LOT of capital to draw on.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
i am thinking about dumping my 2018 with 8k miles on it and getting a tesla model AWD makes sense in snow climates , however anyone know the resale on teslas? tired of honda dealers all in bed togeather marking up this car. I might just drive the shit out of it until next gen and say screw the sensing BS. In a few years teslas will have 320+ mile ranges 0-60 2.9 sec
Tesla resale horrible last time I checked

josh8604

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR BBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i am thinking about dumping my 2018 with 8k miles on it and getting a tesla model AWD makes sense in snow climates , however anyone know the resale on teslas? tired of honda dealers all in bed togeather marking up this car. I might just drive the shit out of it until next gen and say screw the sensing BS. In a few years teslas will have 320+ mile ranges 0-60 2.9 sec
I have driven Hondas with sensing, and I am not the type of driver who needs those features. I am upset about the LogR app and the Oil Temp sensor the 2020's get. Other than that I feel like we can buy all the other upgraded parts, there is a nice thread going on for part numbers and what not. I would suggest trying to get a 2019 for MSRP. I bought my 2019 for $41K last year on Superbowl Sunday and this year I saw someone buy a 2019 for $34K, not sure if it was used or not but now would be an ideal time to look into purchasing a 2019.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They went from 170 share to almost 1k in 6 month
That's just because of crazy speculation by Wall Street, it's basically reminiscent of the bitcoin surge and how everyone wanted a piece of it.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tesla resale is a difficult market. You hear stories of certain features being locked by Tesla once it is no longer owned by the original owner. You also don't know what the software packages will look like in the future. They are moving towards also offering their platform as a purchased item which can be slapped into another brand in addition to continuing to produce their vehicles.

That being said... Electric is the future. The conventional auto manufacturers are too slow. Someone did a teardown of a Tesla recently and engineers from the "big guys" said they literally cannot stack up because of the technology being invented by Tesla. So even with all the issues, even with breaking a "bulletproof" window during a product unveiling, even with Elon smoking pot on Rogans podcast... I just don't see them going down anytime soon. Once they figure out the resale market and how to handle these software package problems, it's an even bigger strain on the "big guys".

I could be way off, but that's how I feel about Tesla. I'm not even a fan, I think most of them look like bugs. And the attitude of the initial adopters still sticks with me, if anyone's seen the "smug" episode of south park with the Prius, that's what I'm talking about. Just a high and mighty attitude of doing the right thing and then thinking they are better than you and so is their car. As Tesla becomes more mainstream though, I see this going away. Especially since in terms of performance and tech, they are pretty freaking sweet haha. Hard not to be impressed.

And yeah, the stock is 100% speculation... a week ago it dropped $200 and I kick myself because I almost bought a share... Back up to $750 already. Buy the dips with the Coronavirus fear driving the market. Money to be made here ladies and gentlemen...

CTRHONDATA

Banned
Banned
First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Tesla resale is a difficult market. You hear stories of certain features being locked by Tesla once it is no longer owned by the original owner. You also don't know what the software packages will look like in the future. They are moving towards also offering their platform as a purchased item which can be slapped into another brand in addition to continuing to produce their vehicles.

That being said... Electric is the future. The conventional auto manufacturers are too slow. Someone did a teardown of a Tesla recently and engineers from the "big guys" said they literally cannot stack up because of the technology being invented by Tesla. So even with all the issues, even with breaking a "bulletproof" window during a product unveiling, even with Elon smoking pot on Rogans podcast... I just don't see them going down anytime soon. Once they figure out the resale market and how to handle these software package problems, it's an even bigger strain on the "big guys".

I could be way off, but that's how I feel about Tesla. I'm not even a fan, I think most of them look like bugs. And the attitude of the initial adopters still sticks with me, if anyone's seen the "smug" episode of south park with the Prius, that's what I'm talking about. Just a high and mighty attitude of doing the right thing and then thinking they are better than you and so is their car. As Tesla becomes more mainstream though, I see this going away. Especially since in terms of performance and tech, they are pretty freaking sweet haha. Hard not to be impressed.

And yeah, the stock is 100% speculation... a week ago it dropped $200 and I kick myself because I almost bought a share... Back up to $750 already. Buy the dips with the Coronavirus fear driving the market. Money to be made here ladies and gentlemen...
I think the market is overvalued, 6 months ago tesla was at 180 a share. AMD 2 years ago was at 2 a share and now its about 50.00 or more. I could have been a millionare. For what it is worth I do like Teslas but the model 3 looks tiny and the hatchback on the civic is more practical. Maybe I should tone down my crazy driving and just buy the new X3 M BMW , since I live in Colorado or just wait for the next WRX STI which should be at 400hp stock

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
That's just because of crazy speculation by Wall Street, it's basically reminiscent of the bitcoin surge and how everyone wanted a piece of it.
exactly. Anyone that can analyze a financial statement can see that they are very close to illiquid. They’ve only made money a handful of quarters since their existence. And now, with mainstream manufacturers finally joining the "e" party, it’ll be a question of time. Unless they get swallowed by someone.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the market is overvalued, 6 months ago tesla was at 180 a share. AMD 2 years ago was at 2 a share and now its about 50.00 or more. I could have been a millionare. For what it is worth I do like Teslas but the model 3 looks tiny and the hatchback on the civic is more practical. Maybe I should tone down my crazy driving and just buy the new X3 M BMW , since I live in Colorado or just wait for the next WRX STI which should be at 400hp stock
Just buy a Model Y Performance and save 10k. It’s a faster car too at 3.5s to 60 mph. Delivery is in March 2020 (now). Resale is actually insanely high; better than Honda.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgor...an-be-a-better-deal-than-choosing-a-used-one/

Do come back and post a pic when you get your new ride.

Honda Civic 10th gen Should I buy, or should I pass? B4CE808D-4C46-4EBB-90CA-8BF777A3751B

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I too figured Tesla would fold as soon as everyone else catches up with electric cars, but for now, they're still at the forefront of range beyond anyone else.

Granted, others will catch up sooner than later, but I feel like Tesla might always just exist as a niche market car manufacturer, no bigger than Mazda. And I'm okay with that. Personally, I think I'd take a Tesla over an equivalent German make. But that's just me.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
2 things come to mind when it comes to Tesla

1. they are the only EV market that has built their supercharge network which is proprietary so their cars are the only ones that can use it. This is huge when you think about it bc it allows for cars that normally wouldn’t have the range to go much further for road trips

2. as for stock price - how long did Amazon take to become profitable. The idea of Amazon at the time was seen as ridiculous-yet now we can’t see a world without them.

regardless I do think Tesla’s stock is overvalued for a car stock but how many people are looking at it as strictly a car stock and not both car and technology stock. Just my .02

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
As far as "Electric" cars, right now I think they're about 2% of car sales world wide, but consume about 90% of advertising and they dominate "Environmental Ecolover" mentality. Car makers are creating these E cars because it gets attention and they're virtue signaling that they're "Hip, EcoFriendly, and COOL" because see I have one too!
I don't see E cars taking over the market in any meaningful way in the next decade.
There's not enough material on the planet (given current battery technology) to make enough batteries for enough cars to even justify putting charging stations close enough together to even make the majority of travel in the USA practical with a battery car.
Elon Musk is only cool because he's "bucking the system". And rockets.

OP
OP
civilcivicguy

civilcivicguy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1954 Corvette, 1959 Bugeye Sprite
Country flag
I think trading cars every year is idiotic and a serious addiction
Well thank you for your helpful and kind comment. I will certainly give it the consideration it deserves.

Don :goodpost:

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Well thank you for your helpful and kind comment. I will certainly give it the consideration it deserves.

Don :goodpost:
I can certainly think of worse things to be addicted to. If one has the funds then by all means enjoy!
Even if I could, I don't think I'd be able to do that because of my life experience. Scrabbling for every dime and penny pinching is so deeply ingrained into me. Unless Lottery. Then yes.

Groundcontrol

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
I personally would wait for the 2020 model so you get the "refresh" on the appearance and all of the performance improvements. You don't have to do improvements yourself to get to the starting point of the 2020. You will already have the solid platform to start with.

Saying that, if you are not concerned about the 2020 upgrades and refresh, now would be financial time to go for the 2019 model.
Sponsored