amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I don't want to be the naysayer on this thread, and I commend you on the work you are putting into this project, but unless you build your engine, you may end up with a thrown rod, or worse. Type R is a monster and pulls all the way to 7000 RPM with no effort or worries, stock. I haven't read through all the posts, so forgive me if I missed something, but you may want to check out Kshawns thread on his build to get some ideas and avoid some of the pitfalls. Good luck too you!
Sponsored

Amazon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS
Country flag
I don't want to be the naysayer on this thread, and I commend you on the work you are putting into this project, but unless you build your engine, you may end up with a thrown rod, or worse. Type R is a monster and pulls all the way to 7000 RPM with no effort or worries, stock. I haven't read through all the posts, so forgive me if I missed something, but you may want to check out Kshawns thread on his build to get some ideas and avoid some of the pitfalls. Good luck too you!
I understand modifying the cheaper car to attain the more expensive car's performance for less, but I don't see that happening here. Just the cost of the turbo and parts he's already bought and installed are over $5000, so he currently has a $31,000 Civic Si and is no where near done spending money. I'd conservatively estimate another 5-7K easily in parts and tuning before its done.

Godspeed OP

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I understand modifying the cheaper car to attain the more expensive car's performance for less, but I don't see that happening here. Just the cost of the turbo and parts he's already bought and installed are over $5000, so he currently has a $31,000 Civic Si and is no where near done spending money. I'd conservatively estimate another 5-7K easily in parts and tuning before its done.

Godspeed OP
The hard true.

Scarlet

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Civic LX Sedan - 1998 Civic Hatch - TBD Turbo Something - 2014 Honda Ruckus - 2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice, but I would have went with the Type R retro clutch though as I've been there, done that.. Burned through a CM clutch already and spent money twice on the clutch, now running the Type R retro myself.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Godspeed OP
To your point, unless you have more cash than you know what to do with, I would just invest it in a used Type R, or if you are brand agnostic, a used Focus RS. I fully understand trying to get more power out of a cheaper, smaller engine car, but buying one brand new and sinking a ton of money in it just doesn't compute, at least to me. There's a guy who has an 80's era Civic Si, and he modified it to produce 500 WHP, which is crazy, but he bought the car for $1500, and has maybe sunk another $2000 into it. He blows thru rods all the time, and he mentioned they only cost him a couple of hundred dollars. So modding a used car that has no warranty left that is not your daily driver for more power makes sense to me.

As far as trying to be a Type R killer, well I drove one, and the OP has a ton of work ahead of him. Am I correct @TypeSiR ?

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
To your point, unless you have more cash than you know what to do with, I would just invest it in a used Type R, or if you are brand agnostic, a used Focus RS. I fully understand trying to get more power out of a cheaper, smaller engine car, but buying one brand new and sinking a ton of money in it just doesn't compute, at least to me. There's a guy who has an 80's era Civic Si, and he modified it to produce 500 WHP, which is crazy, but he bought the car for $1500, and has maybe sunk another $2000 into it. He blows thru rods all the time, and he mentioned they only cost him a couple of hundred dollars. So modding a used car that has no warranty left that is not your daily driver for more power makes sense to me.

As far as trying to be a Type R killer, well I drove one, and the OP has a ton of work ahead of him. Am I correct @TypeSiR ?
Some of you guys are like broken record players spewing every little thing you see online for fact without any actual personal experience. The Type R is not the "Jesus" vehicle you make it out to be, in fact building an Si for straight line speed is dare I say a better choice than getting a Type R and trying to do the same. Throw full bolt ons at a Type R with a tune, and you will quickly realize that the potential is severely capped on this car. After you approach 400whp you're left with a the bogus overpriced fuel system upgrade Hondata offers, or to spend the big bucks for a standalone like Motec. There are reasons an Si has hit a 10 second pass but the Type R has not. Not to mention the price gouging still happening on the Type R on the west coast and other areas, for some reason only east coast dealers are willing to play ball at MSRP to make your argument valid as far as cost goes. I'd much rather pay to build and abuse an L15, than have to rebuild the motor or trans in the R.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Some of you guys are like broken record players spewing every little thing you see online for fact without any actual personal experience. The Type R is not the "Jesus" vehicle you make it out to be, in fact building an Si for straight line speed is dare I say a better choice than getting a Type R and trying to do the same. Throw full bolt ons at a Type R with a tune, and you will quickly realize that the potential is severely capped on this car. After you approach 400whp you're left with a the bogus overpriced fuel system upgrade Hondata offers, or to spend the big bucks for a standalone like Motec. There are reasons an Si has hit a 10 second pass but the Type R has not. Not to mention the price gouging still happening on the Type R on the west coast and other areas, for some reason only east coast dealers are willing to play ball at MSRP to make your argument valid as far as cost goes. I'd much rather pay to build and abuse an L15, than have to rebuild the motor or trans in the R.
Haha OK :thumbsup:

Let's see...
Drove a Civic Si Stock and tuned... Check
Drove a Type R... Check
Met JDMpo0kie and talked to him extensively about his 270 whp build and failure... Check
Talked extensively (and followed) with KShawn and his 270 WHP failure and new build... Check

Yeah, I guess your right

Last edited:

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
270WHP...

Honda Civic 10th gen Type_r_killer - build thread 20190508_155921

This was on the stock block, 28psi, gtx2860r, no meth. E35

Block blew at 34psi, e35 and Vp M1 meth. Who knows how much it was making then. Unfortunately didn't get the chance to Re dyno.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
270WHP...

20190508_155921.jpg

Block blew at 34psi, e35 and Vp M1 meth. Who knows how much it was making then. Unfortunately didn't get the chance to Re dyno.
Thank you @kshawn for weighing in. Some people are taking what I posted personally, all I was trying to say is that if you want to play without building your block, your engine is probably a ticking bomb. Now you have a $22K to $25K car, and your turning it into a plus $30K car. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from modding, just trying to make them aware of the costs and pitfalls

DLEGAIR

First Name
Dexter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
270WHP...

20190508_155921.jpg

What type of power would you have ran on the stock turbo? You think 240/250 whp is attainable on 93 pump?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What type of power would you have ran on the stock turbo? You think 240/250 whp is attainable on 93 pump?
240 is probably the safest on 93 octane. TSP's stage 1 tune gives you roughly 237 WHP on 93 using MAP 3

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Haha OK :thumbsup:

Let's see...
Drove a Civic Si Stock and tuned... Check
Drove a Type R... Check
Met JDMpo0kie and talked to him extensively about his 270 whp build and failure... Check
Talked extensively (and followed) with KShawn and his 270 WHP failure and new build... Check

Yeah, I guess your right
So 2 people all of a sudden accounts for the car as a whole? No disrespect to either of them but nobody knows how they drive the car. I made over 270whp and since I didn't blow up I should take that as fact that the car handles it just fine right... There is always a danger of catastrophic failure when modifying a car but I see you frequently naysaying modding the car. Your simple modded car I would hardly consider much experience, as well as just simply driving a CTR doesn't all of a sudden make you an expert. Clearing modding the car wasn't for you, but I was more addressing the "shoulda bought a CTR" statement. The Type R is great but it isn't the end all be all. If we all played it safe, the platform would hardly develop.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So 2 people all of a sudden accounts for the car as a whole? No disrespect to either of them but nobody knows how they drive the car. I made over 270whp and since I didn't blow up I should take that as fact that the car handles it just fine right... There is always a danger of catastrophic failure when modifying a car but I see you frequently naysaying modding the car. Your simple modded car I would hardly consider much experience, as well as just simply driving a CTR doesn't all of a sudden make you an expert. Clearing modding the car wasn't for you, but I was more addressing the "shoulda bought a CTR" statement. The Type R is great but it isn't the end all be all. If we all played it safe, the platform would hardly develop.
I have no problem with anyone modding their cars. I am only expressing an opinion. Personally, and I am stressing personally, I would not buy a car with 205 HP for $22K (what I paid) and sink in another $5K to $10K to bring it to 270 or even 300 WHP, especially if it's my daily driver. But that's just me. Don't let my naysayer opinions discourage you, more power to you (both literally and figuratively :))

Last edited:

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Thank you @kshawn for weighing in. Some people are taking what I posted personally, all I was trying to say is that if you want to play without building your block, your engine is probably a ticking bomb. Now you have a $22K to $25K car, and your turning it into a plus $30K car. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from modding, just trying to make them aware of the costs and pitfalls
Yah Dollar per dollar there's other platforms for higher power. I still love my SI for what it is tho! I just got greedy with the stock block. Others have pushed harder so I'm not saying I found any limits. Abuse plays a factor to. and sometimes it's just bad luck.
Sponsored