2.0 NA Octane?

BigRedtheGinger

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 6MT, 1988 Honda CRX SI, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 V8
Country flag
Hey everyone, I have a question about what octane is best for the 2.0 engines. I got my 2020 Sport sedan, 6MT exactly 1 month ago today. They sales guy said nothing in particular about the octane,so I've been running 87. One of the guys I love with has a 2019 LX with CVT, and his sales guy was telling him to run 91 for best fuel economy and performance. His display says he's been getting over 35mpg, my average for this first month has been about 30. Granted, I also found that I can hit 130 in 5th, and a 20 Versa doesn't stand a chance against the 2.0, so there's a significant difference in how we drive lol. Plus I drive more than him. He got his last October and has over 5k miles on his, and I have almost 3k in about a month. Also, has anyone seen any significant difference in either performance or mpg with Econ on or off? Thanks for you time.
Sponsored

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Hey everyone, I have a question about what octane is best for the 2.0 engines. I got my 2020 Sport sedan, 6MT exactly 1 month ago today. They sales guy said nothing in particular about the octane,so I've been running 87. One of the guys I love with has a 2019 LX with CVT, and his sales guy was telling him to run 91 for best fuel economy and performance. His display says he's been getting over 35mpg, my average for this first month has been about 30. Granted, I also found that I can hit 130 in 5th, and a 20 Versa doesn't stand a chance against the 2.0, so there's a significant difference in how we drive lol. Plus I drive more than him. He got his last October and has over 5k miles on his, and I have almost 3k in about a month. Also, has anyone seen any significant difference in either performance or mpg with Econ on or off? Thanks for you time.
I say swap to higher octane and see what happens, it can’t hurt anything that’s for sure. I run 93 octane in mine, but I have a ktuner and it’s recommended with the tune. But a lot of things factor into mpg. The time of year can change that. In the winter your mpg will go down since gas stations go to winter grade fuel and it doesn’t have the energy of summer grade fuel. But the biggest difference is he has a cvt transmission, which when driven conservatively, will give slightly better gas mileage than the 6 speed manual. But you do get better acceleration with the 6mt.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you tune it, there's no need for higher octane in that engine. As far as mpg, you clearly stated the main difference between you and your friend... you have a heavier foot, plain and simple.

As far as Econ, don't waste your time. The concept is that it basically dulls throttle response which in theory sounds like a way to save on gas. But in the real world, you'll find yourself pressing harder on the throttle to go anywhere, so it's mostly useless, IMO.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Hey everyone, I have a question about what octane is best for the 2.0 engines. I got my 2020 Sport sedan, 6MT exactly 1 month ago today. They sales guy said nothing in particular about the octane,so I've been running 87. One of the guys I love with has a 2019 LX with CVT, and his sales guy was telling him to run 91 for best fuel economy and performance.
The salesman is wrong. All of the LX's recommend regular gas.
You will not get better mileage or performance by using high-octane gas unless you make performance modifications to your car.

And stop driving your car at 130 mph in Fifth gear if you want it to last.

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
87 for stock is fine. I’m at 9900 miles on my 18 month old 6MT 18 LX sedan. Lifetime average is 38.5, most tanks I get 40-41. That includes some traffic and Hawai’i steep hill driving. However I never drive “city” so it’s all highway and some stop n go traffic coming home from work on freeway.
Btw the digital read outs are 1-1.5 mpg off. True is about 37.5/39 for my two examples above. Still freaking phenomenal for a car this size and with its modest power level.

OP
OP
BigRedtheGinger

BigRedtheGinger

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 6MT, 1988 Honda CRX SI, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 V8
Country flag
I'm just wondering exactly how much you love him!?
Hahaha he just does that thing with his tongue..... Hahaha damn autocorrect

OP
OP
BigRedtheGinger

BigRedtheGinger

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
87 for stock is fine. I’m at 9900 miles on my 18 month old 6MT 18 LX sedan. Lifetime average is 38.5, most tanks I get 40-41. That includes some traffic and Hawai’i steep hill driving. However I never drive “city” so it’s all highway and some stop n go traffic coming home from work on freeway.
Btw the digital read outs are 1-1.5 mpg off. True is about 37.5/39 for my two examples above. Still freaking phenomenal for a car this size and with its modest power level.
That's really good! I've noticed mine is off about that much as well. I usually track my fuel usage on Gas Buddy. So far, my best has been 31mpg, usually around 30. I also have a 1 hour drive to and from work during the week, drops to 35 minutes with no traffic, all freeway.

OP
OP
BigRedtheGinger

BigRedtheGinger

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Shell gas we have here has ethanol, I don't think I've seen a Shell station that didn't advertise the gas having up to 10% of it. So premium might give me a little low speed advantage on my way to work in traffic.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
The Shell gas we have here has ethanol, I don't think I've seen a Shell station that didn't advertise the gas having up to 10% of it. So premium might give me a little low speed advantage on my way to work in traffic.
Shell *premium does not contain ethanol. It states on their website that all Shell premium gas in North America is ethanol-free. All other grades have ethanol.

EDIT: Apparently they are using ethanol in their premium in the US. I don't know when that started.

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Shell *premium does not contain ethanol. It states on their website that all Shell premium gas in North America is ethanol-free. All other grades have ethanol.
Can you link this Shell website?
in reality the shell.ca says about V-Power Nitro+:
  • 0% ethanol at every station in Canada
Shell.us doesn't say anything because some stations may have ethanol-free gas. However, I haven't ever seen a Shell gas station offering ethanol-free gas. I buy Shell V-Power Nitro+ (actually filled up at Shell today) and it always has 10% ethanol, as labeled on the pumps.
The few gas stations (not Shell) around here that have zero ethanol gas always charge a high price for regular or mid grade octane fuel. I only buy it for my lawnmower.

Last edited:

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Can you link this Shell website?
in reality the shell.ca says about V-Power Nitro+:
  • 0% ethanol at every station in Canada
Shell.us doesn't say anything because some stations may have ethanol-free gas. However, I haven't ever seen a Shell gas station offering ethanol-free gas. I buy Shell V-Power Nitro+ (actually filled up at Shell today) and it always has 10% ethanol, as labeled on the pumps.
The few gas station (not Shell) around here that have zero ethanol gas always charge high price for regular or mid grade octane fuel. I only buy it for my lawnmower.
Figures. I started putting Shell premium in my Si since day 1 and their website said 0% ethanol in their premium gas across North America and I was browsing their website for something a couple months ago and it still stated that. Bastards.

ShapeLX

First Name
Shape
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle: 2016 Civic EX-T sedan ( replaced w/ 2020 LX Sedan MT :D )
Country flag
Geez. Confused lol..

Husky here has 94 with ethanol, Shell is 91 V-Power.. Which is better for my 2.0 NA ?
Sponsored