Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
So the question is, do the North American 2020 cars gets an oil temp sensor or not? In another thread I had asked what caused "limp mode" at the track i.e oil temps, water temps or what ever. Didn't get a firm answer. This might let us know.

Frankly having a performance car without an oil temp gauge seems crazy to me. Even my 18 year old Corvette has one.
Sponsored

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
Limp mode is usually entered any time the ECU thinks the engine is in danger of critical failure. For example, sensors detect a condition where it cannot properly meter air to keep the engine running. It enters limp mode (or closed loop mode) and you’re able to get off the road. Sometimes, you just have to reset and all’s well.

the engine has sensors, you just don’t have a gauge.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Limp mode is usually entered any time the ECU thinks the engine is in danger of critical failure. For example, sensors detect a condition where it cannot properly meter air to keep the engine running. It enters limp mode (or closed loop mode) and you’re able to get off the road. Sometimes, you just have to reset and all’s well.

the engine has sensors, you just don’t have a gauge.
It would be really nice to know which sensors are indicating "critical failure" . Would have thought high temps either oil or coolant would be the issue. Certainly for the Nissan 370, it is engine oil temps that trigger limp mode. (There may be other reasons as well but for track use, oil temp is the issue and this is often helped with an extra oil cooler) If the 2020 Civic has a loggable oil temp it would be really useful.

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
It would be really nice to know which sensors are indicating "critical failure" . Would have thought high temps either oil or coolant would be the issue. Certainly for the Nissan 370, it is engine oil temps that trigger limp mode. (There may be other reasons as well but for track use, oil temp is the issue and this is often helped with an extra oil cooler) If the 2020 Civic has a loggable oil temp it would be really useful.
You'd probably need to find out from Honda what exactly causes limp mode. Over temperature or a mismatch in sensor inputs would be good candidates. Usually, when the oil is low and you're getting any indication, things are kinda fucked.

As far as temps go, the engine isn't 100% water, oil, or air cooled. It's a mixture of the three. Logged oil, coolant, and ambient air temp would all be important, not just oil.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Usually, when the oil is low and you're getting any indication, things are kinda fucked.

Agree, but the concern was oil temp not pressure. Loss of oil pressure is usually pretty catastrophic and any driving , even in limp mode, is unlikely to help.

Obviously there are multiple ways to cool an engine but if we knew it was oil temp that triggers limp mode, an oil cooler is the more obvious choice and if it is water temps, a larger rad is the more obvious choice. Seems that the availability of determining oil temps on the fly would be helpful.

Certainly for my C5Z Corvette, the in rad oil cooler (with a larger radiator) dropped temps significantly but more specifically the oil temp than the coolant temp. It also allowed the oil temps to get up to best operating temp faster as the coolant usually gets hot faster than the oil although the oil hits sig higher temps on track. If the issue is that air flow through the radiator is the biggest restriction, hood vents might be the best approach but most folks aren't interested in doing that to a street driven car.

James sz

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic type r
Country flag
Don't feel bad I own a 2020 and still don't have access to it yet. I know it states spring of 2020 is when it will launch not sure if they are waiting for the last day or not.

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
LogR is here

EPSi2FKR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Civic Type R, 2014 Lexus IS350
Country flag
Got it today. Live in the states. That video explains it all. But I HAD to create a new Apple ID. Oh the data!
Honda Civic 10th gen LogR Performance Data Recorder App launched for 2020 Civic Type R 088B9B44-F873-44A0-96A3-D637B354A951

It will definitely fit the bill until I get Hondata.
Thanks a lot y’all. CivicX is really great and makes having this car even better.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
@inlinef
1) What was the ambient temp while you were tracking?
2) What oil and weight are you using?

I'm assuming you took that first picture at idle after a session with oil temp at 224.6F and oil pressure at 14.5psi. Those are solid numbers. Thanks for sharing.

type_ramen

First Name
Keiothic
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Got it today. Live in the states. That video explains it all. But I HAD to create a new Apple ID. Oh the data!
088B9B44-F873-44A0-96A3-D637B354A951.jpeg

It will definitely fit the bill until I get Hondata.
Thanks a lot y’all. CivicX is really great and makes having this car even better.
You know Hondata combined with TorquePro or Racing Meter, you can get more data overlay, right? I know this does look nice, but just a so-you-know thing....