Convince me to buy or not buy 2019 CTR. Am I making a dumb decision?

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
Just buy a 2020 or 2021 because of resale value. My 2020 should be built soon so 45 days wait till it’s out?

The truth is you will appreciate this car now so buy it now. If you don’t like or whenever decide to have a kid sell it. The car has good resale so its not the norm the financial advisor understands. I had a 2017 and trade it in for the same price I’ve paid. I just loose out on tax which I think was line item deducted before when that was worth some thing. With tires worn at 10k miles, it was basically a free car.
How did you go about ordering the 2020 model? and how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
It’s my 2nd type r from the same dealer and MSRP since I’m on the east coast. I may drop it for the limited edition if possible without markup
Sponsored

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Good opening post with excellent info. Congrats on life so far. your income is quite good for your age. I’m 7 years your senior and close to that level. Unfortunately for your Type R dreams, my advice comes from the Dave Ramsey school of thought. Aka, never buy anything you can’t afford. Yes, what I mean is if not in cash = can not afford.

that advice is “weird” as Dave Ramsey says, but it’s us “weird” folks that look at the paycheck to paycheckers like they are the weird ones. The ones that live off credit card debt, mortgage debt, car debt, school loan debt. Let me tell you, when you don’t owe shit to anyone? That’s the *best* feeling.

I’ve been on car forums since they started in the mid to late 90’s. Done the keeping up with the Jones’ thing. It’s wack. Waste of time. Waste of money.

With your income, that payment is a joke. Super low. Easily affordable. But I’d just ride out the Accord and then when done with it, write a check for a lightly used 2020 R and be done with it!

bRYANT619

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 RR CTR/15 4Runner
Country flag
Take a look at what Carvana would you give for your accord, I've noticed they typically offer more on cars than carmax.

If you can get closer to breaking even I say go for it!

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Good opening post with excellent info. Congrats on life so far. your income is quite good for your age. I’m 7 years your senior and close to that level. Unfortunately for your Type R dreams, my advice comes from the Dave Ramsey school of thought. Aka, never buy anything you can’t afford. Yes, what I mean is if not in cash = can not afford.

that advice is “weird” as Dave Ramsey says, but it’s us “weird” folks that look at the paycheck to paycheckers like they are the weird ones. The ones that live off credit card debt, mortgage debt, car debt, school loan debt. Let me tell you, when you don’t owe shit to anyone? That’s the *best* feeling.

I’ve been on car forums since they started in the mid to late 90’s. Done the keeping up with the Jones’ thing. It’s wack. Waste of time. Waste of money.

With your income, that payment is a joke. Super low. Easily affordable. But I’d just ride out the Accord and then when done with it, write a check for a lightly used 2020 R and be done with it!
Listen to this guy, best advice in this thread. I think you are a smart person OP because you are asking these kinds of questions vs "yolo I make 17k a month". Ultimately its your money and your life. You could definitely afford it, just depends on where your priorities lie. As a fellow Socaler and considering you want to get a house in the near future, I vote to save. Goodluck man.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
You're making good income - you're young - this is the perfect car for all your needs and then some.

With your earning level / potential, I'd say get it for sure - you only live once enjoy your life.

Yes it's worth it.

Yes it's worth it.

Yes.............it's worth it.

lol!

rogazilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR (Aegean Blue)
Country flag
This is my take on Ramsey and financial responsibility + living your life. For a long time, I also believe to save money, use money to make more money. In the last 10 years, I went from being invited to weddings and baby birth to going to some funerals. There are a lot of unpredictability in our life. My new approach is that plan out your finance but get that balance in life. Know how much you want to save by the time you retire, put that money away, no more, no less. Know how much you are going to pay for mortgage, student loan or any debt, pay more if you can or on schedule but you can figure that out easily too. Have rainy day cache.

Outside of all of the above 'responsibility'. Spend every penny and enjoy life, it can be vacation, a car you want, anything else to enjoy your life.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Apply Dave Ramsey or any other things in moderation. If you get hit by a bus tomorrow you will have at least driven a fun car today. People that obsess too much with saving and such miss out on what is really important - enjoying their life.

You have 70k in the bank, solid income and feel comfortable enough to get a fun reasonable car. Get the car and enjoy the life you've worked hard to enjoy. You really only live once. I'd get out of that Accord and into the Type R so fast your head would spin. This car is really a great one - saving is great - living a bit and saving is better.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Life is too short to drive a boring car. I've always had a fun car in the stable since I started working at age 18. Back then I was taking out loans to buy them but these days I only pay with cash. Agree with some of the other people in this thread - not oweing money on a depreciating asset is a damn good feeling. My only debt at this point is my mortgage but the value of my home has doubled since I bought it so I'm not sweatin' it :yes:

Good luck with whichever route you decide to take.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
  1. I know I'm essentially wasting money to get what I want early- but is this completely irresponsible financially? Is waiting the only and right answer
Yes, it's a waste of money. But people want instant gratification and make irresponsible decisions all the time to do so.

With your income, you can become a multi millionaire very fast if you spend wisely. Then, you can buy whatever the hell you want without batting an eye. And it won't be a CTR on your list, it'd be more like NSX or GTR! And it'll be paid in full up front.

Give Dave Ramsay a listen. If you do what he says you'll be extremely well off. There are many people who earn what you do and they're broke because they're financial retards. Don't go that way.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
And don't ever listen to advice like "you only live once" or "life is too short" when it comes to finance. The only time you hear such lines is as justification to make a stupid decision. Think about it! Don't fall into that trap.

But ultimately, it's your life so do whatever you want to do.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Like I said in my first post there are a zillion different thoughts on this subject and most have valid reasons. YOU are the one who must decide for yourself. Good Luck on your decision making and let us know where you end up.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Holding AA meeting in a bar, mate?

Best chance of MSRP on a ‘20 is by calling PA and OH dealers. Add 1300 for transport.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Some of these Dave Ramsey worshipers are probably an absolute blast to hang out with at parties :rofl:
Sponsored