civic2.0

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic ex 2.0
Country flag
Hi , I'm definetly getting a used tenth gen civic. Recently I got two great options a 2016 2.0 ex and a 2017 ext. I drove both back to back and noticed the 2.0 steering was heavier than the exT. Is this normal ? Or maybe there's an issue with this particular ex? I thought both were the same except for the motor. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The steering should feel the same. Since they are used though, there could be issues.

Are they both using the stock tires and stock sizes? If they changed to a different type of tire or size, that could affect steering feel.

Last edited:
OP
OP

civic2.0

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic ex 2.0
Country flag
Stock tire sizes. Both had the tires that they came with originally and both had stock wheels. Could be an issue with the ex2.0 I tested. I just drove my wife's 16 fit ex and it felt very similar to the ext's steering weight. I think there might be an issue with the ex2.0 I tested.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Hi , I'm definetly getting a used tenth gen civic. Recently I got two great options a 2016 2.0 ex and a 2017 ext. I drove both back to back and noticed the 2.0 steering was heavier than the exT. Is this normal ? Or maybe there's an issue with this particular ex? I thought both were the same except for the motor. Thanks in advance.
Do you have 18" wheels on your car or 17"? The 2020 EX-T has 18" listed as standard on Honda's website while the EX doesn't have this listed. That could make a difference in steering feel, though it would probably make a bigger difference in suspension feel as a smaller tire-wall technically should lead to a stiffer feeling car vs 17". I don't know the weights of the two rims, but I'd assume the 18" might heavier than the 17" which could also add to the differences.

OP
OP

civic2.0

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic ex 2.0
Country flag
Do you have 18" wheels on your car or 17"? The 2020 EX-T has 18" listed as standard on Honda's website while the EX doesn't have this listed. That could make a difference in steering feel, though it would probably make a bigger difference in suspension feel as a smaller tire-wall technically should lead to a stiffer feeling car vs 17". I don't know the weights of the two rims, but I'd assume the 18" might heavier than the 17" which could also add to the differences.[/QU
Do you have 18" wheels on your car or 17"? The 2020 EX-T has 18" listed as standard on Honda's website while the EX doesn't have this listed. That could make a difference in steering feel, though it would probably make a bigger difference in suspension feel as a smaller tire-wall technically should lead to a stiffer feeling car vs 17". I don't know the weights of the two rims, but I'd assume the 18" might heavier than the 17" which could also add to the differences.
Both had stock tires and wheels.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Different tires and sizes can change the steering feel a lot.

If the difference you are talking about is very big, like almost feels like the power steering is not functioning correctly, then yes there is a problem.

But if the EX and EX-T have a different brand of tire, a different tire and wheel width, then there could be a difference just due to the compound of the tire, and how much tire is contacting the ground and adding more resistance due to friction.

They should not feel drastically different though.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The stock wheels on an EX and EX-T are different. EX comes with 17” stock while EX-T comes with 18” stock.
Actually no. Those cars the OP test drove come stock with 16's (EX) and 17's (EX-T).

Last edited:
OP
OP

civic2.0

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic ex 2.0
Country flag
The stock wheels on an EX and EX-T are different. EX comes with 17” stock while EX-T comes with 18” stock.
Actually no. Those cars the OP test drove come stock with 16's (EX) and 17's (EX-T).
Correct. This is what I mean buy both had stock. They came with the wheels they had originally and the were both low miles so they have the factory Firestone tires. Sorry for the confusion, maybe I should've been more clear. I didn't mean to keep repeating or parroting myself. And yes the feel was drastically different. I'd compare it with a sports car sports mode heavy vs a regular commuter car. The ext felt normal to me like it should similar to my wife's fit ex. Where it gets a little tighter in high speeds but felt normal. The 2.0 ex felt like it was heavy all the time, even in low speed parking.

OP
OP

civic2.0

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic ex 2.0
Country flag
Different tires and sizes can change the steering feel a lot.

If the difference you are talking about is very big, like almost feels like the power steering is not functioning correctly, then yes there is a problem.

But if the EX and EX-T have a different brand of tire, a different tire and wheel width, then there could be a difference just due to the compound of the tire, and how much tire is contacting the ground and adding more resistance due to friction.

They should not feel drastically different though.
Yeah man I it was deifnetly different I think I'm going to avoid the ex2.0 in this case. It's a shame im one of the few that prefers the slower 2.0 NA engine.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Yeah man I it was deifnetly different I think I'm going to avoid the ex2.0 in this case. It's a shame im one of the few that prefers the slower 2.0 NA engine.
I drove a 2016 LX with the 2.0 for 61,000 miles. I thought it was great. It is slower for sure, but it’ll be more reliable than the 1.5T in the long run.

I upgraded the wheels from the 16” steelies to some accessory alloy 17” wheels and tires. I thought it noticeably livened up the handling of the car.

Tire types make a bigger difference than most people realize.

There may be something wrong with that car man. Maybe a suspension component is damaged. It really shouldn’t be so different that you strongly prefer the steering of one car better than the other. Both should steer just fine.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Correct. This is what I mean buy both had stock. They came with the wheels they had originally and the were both low miles so they have the factory Firestone tires. Sorry for the confusion, maybe I should've been more clear. I didn't mean to keep repeating or parroting myself. And yes the feel was drastically different. I'd compare it with a sports car sports mode heavy vs a regular commuter car. The ext felt normal to me like it should similar to my wife's fit ex. Where it gets a little tighter in high speeds but felt normal. The 2.0 ex felt like it was heavy all the time, even in low speed parking.
there are 3 different wheel and tire sizes depending on the trim level and the year, simply saying they are both stock wheels and tires doesn't mean they are the same stock wheels and tires, this is what people are trying to explain to you but you just keep repeating the same "both stock wheels" line like you don't know there are 3 different sizes (technically there are 4 but the 4th only exists on the Type R), these cars came with 16's with hubcaps on the base models then depending on the year step up to 17's or 18's on the higher trims and even then there are different wheel designs for the EX vs the EX-T even with the same diameter.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
They're still different sized, which is my entire point. The 2020 models come with 17" (EX) and 18" (EX-T) which is what I was referencing. Still, nonetheless the two cars are running different sized wheels thus different steering feel.

OP
OP

civic2.0

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic ex 2.0
Country flag
there are 3 different wheel and tire sizes depending on the trim level and the year, simply saying they are both stock wheels and tires doesn't mean they are the same stock wheels and tires, this is what people are trying to explain to you but you just keep repeating the same "both stock wheels" line like you don't know there are 3 different sizes (technically there are 4 but the 4th only exists on the Type R), these cars came with 16's with hubcaps on the base models then depending on the year step up to 17's or 18's on the higher trims and even then there are different wheel designs for the EX vs the EX-T even with the same diameter.
I apologize for assuming. I just thought most people would know that that the ex2.0 came with the factory 16" wheels and the ext came with the factory 17" wheels. Maybe it changed for 2019-2020 idk. But again I'm sorry I'm not trying to come off as arrogant or something, I'm just asking for opinions and help. I should've been more clear.

OP
OP

civic2.0

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic ex 2.0
Country flag
And thanks for everyone's help. I definetly decided to skip that particular ex2.0 on advice from here.
Sponsored