Improving shifting

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Today I decided to adjust my clutch, and man It made a huge difference. I was tired of the crunchy shifting and I did multiple things to try to improve it. The first thing I did was adding a hasport rmm and it made a difference but eventually it came back. The next thing I did is switch the transmission oil for some fresh Honda mtf is made a slight difference but the crunchy shifting was still there. I decided to adjust my clutch because I had read adjusting the clutch eliminates it so I gave a try and wow I recommend it to everyone to do this! I turned the thing at the end of the cmc clock wise 2 1/2 turns and crunchy shifting was completely gone!! I could shift fast without forcing the gears they just go in now and the clutch engagement is way better. I also tried vavoline mtf not sure if that help to but I’m pretty sure it did.
Sponsored

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Nice work! Sounds like the clutch may have still been dragging just a little when the pedal was to the floor. And now it's completely disengaging. Allowing the transmission to slide into gears with no resistance.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Maybe I am in the minority here but I've not had any issues with my transmission. In fact, it continues to get better as I rack up the miles. During the first 1k miles or so it felt pretty notchy and had a lot of nibble on most of the gear changes. Now though at 3k miles, it's gotten much smoother - the stick slides into the gates like butter on most shifts. The only thing I can think of that would improve the experience would be to shorten the throws slightly. But beyond that, it feels great. Easily one of the best manuals I have ever had.

OP
OP
Jes_si562

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Nice work! Sounds like the clutch may have still been dragging just a little when the pedal was to the floor. And now it's completely disengaging. Allowing the transmission to slide into gears with no resistance.
I really think it was that, I should of done that since the beginning. Its kinda a shame that it came like that from factory. The stock clutch has been taking a beaten for awhile kinda surprised it still working probably

OP
OP
Jes_si562

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe I am in the minority here but I've not had any issues with my transmission. In fact, it continues to get better as I rack up the miles. During the first 1k miles or so it felt pretty notchy and had a lot of nibble on most of the gear changes. Now though at 3k miles, it's gotten much smoother - the stick slides into the gates like butter on most shifts. The only thing I can think of that would improve the experience would be to shorten the throws slightly. But beyond that, it feels great. Easily one of the best manuals I have ever had.
You got lucky , lots of people have this issue since day 1. Your synchros are still breaking in so it should get smoother as you put more miles. With the first transmisión oil change you’ll feel a big difference. I remember when I did my first fluid change there was a lot of synchro material. The recent fluid change I did there was hardly any metal in the fluid. Acuity short shifter will definitely give you shorty throws :)

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
You got lucky , lots of people have this issue since day 1. Your synchros are still breaking in so it should get smoother as you put more miles. With the first transmisión oil change you’ll feel a big difference. I remember when I did my first fluid change there was a lot of synchro material. The recent fluid change I did there was hardly any metal in the fluid. Acuity short shifter will definitely give you shorty throws :)
At what mileage are you supposed to change transmission oil?

OP
OP
Jes_si562

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
At what mileage are you supposed to change transmission oil?
I'm not really sure, it doesn't hurt to change it early though. I did my first trans fluid change at 8k

OP
OP
Jes_si562

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Today I decided to adjust my clutch, and man It made a huge difference. I was tired of the crunchy shifting and I did multiple things to try to improve it. The first thing I did was adding a hasport rmm and it made a difference but eventually it came back. The next thing I did is switch the transmission oil for some fresh Honda mtf is made a slight difference but the crunchy shifting was still there. I decided to adjust my clutch because I had read adjusting the clutch eliminates it so I gave a try and wow I recommend it to everyone to do this! I turned the thing at the end of the cmc clock wise 2 1/2 turns and crunchy shifting was completely gone!! I could shift fast without forcing the gears they just go in now and the clutch engagement is way better. I also tried vavoline mtf not sure if that help to but I’m pretty sure it did.
what sort of adjustment you did?

Will it affect clutch pedal travel? Can you please explain them in detail as I wanted to know if it's fully disengaging the clutch or partially disengaging and riding the clutch unintentionally

OP
OP
Jes_si562

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
what sort of adjustment you did?

Will it affect clutch pedal travel? Can you please explain them in detail as I wanted to know if it's fully disengaging the clutch or partially disengaging and riding the clutch unintentionally
The adjustment I did made the clutch fully disengage. And travel feels the same to me

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The adjustment I did made the clutch fully disengage. And travel feels the same to me
I read somewhere that making the clutch fully disengage causes the fingers on the pressure plate move more and reduces the pressure on the clutch plate after sometime causing the clutch to slip and premature failure. I am not entirely sure though.

OP
OP
Jes_si562

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I read somewhere that making the clutch fully disengage causes the fingers on the pressure plate move more and reduces the pressure on the clutch plate after sometime causing the clutch to slip and premature failure. I am not entirely sure though.
Yes of course it will. That's when you go to far in, the clutch doesn't fully engage causing it to slip. So pretty much what I did is tighten the slack on the peddle. I left a tiny bit of slack

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes of course it will. That's when you go to far in, the clutch doesn't fully engage causing it to slip. So pretty much what I did is tighten the slack on the peddle. I left a tiny bit of slack
:hmm: That slack is to compensate automatically for clutch wear as it's hydraulic clutch. anyway I will check this weekend as my only problem is 1st to 2nd gear change when driving aggressively

OP
OP
Jes_si562

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
:hmm: That slack is to compensate automatically for clutch wear as it's hydraulic clutch. anyway I will check this weekend as my only problem is 1st to 2nd gear change when driving aggressively
I had that problem to along with 3rd, after i did the adjustment its gone.
Sponsored