CVT surging up and down

cbreezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Accord -> '16 WOP Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there anyway to check what software version is on our touring? I'm not entirely sure whether or not I am experiencing this 'surging' problem. My WOP touring is barely a week old with about 450 miles on it.
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag

cbreezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Accord -> '16 WOP Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Seems like the ECU "learns to be bad" and it takes 1500+ miles before most notice it. Fix may be out before you get there.
Drove on highway today going 75MPH. Did not notice any surging. Hopefully you are right, I have a big road trip coming up soon.

Ash2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC 2016 Touring
After getting the software update done last evening drove in city and highway as well. Car does smooth. Also jerkiness is far less than before what I was experiencing and about fuel economy not sure yet.... One thing I did after getting the patch done. I did a battery cable reset myself in the parking lot of dealer before taking the car for a spin. It feels like a different car.

kommong2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hello experts,

I bought a Honda Civic EX 2016 on 17 Feb 2016. Within the first 2 weeks I am facing problems. Below are the sequence of events that happened.

On 17 Feb 2016, I bought the 2016 Honda Civic EX model car
On 24 Feb 2016 (Around 8 PM), while driving home from work, all of a sudden, all warning lights came ON. I saw messages on Driver Information Interface that read Problems with brake system, transmission problem, steering problem etc. These messages were appearing on the center display were the vehicle's speed gets displayed(part of the Tachometer / Speedometer display) - (This happened when the car mileage was 88)
On 24 Feb 2016 (Around 9:45 PM), I towed my vehicle to the dealership.
On 25 Feb 2016, the dealer returned the car saying the car was in perfect condition
On 26 Feb 2016, while driving to office, all of a sudden, the speed of the vehicle started reducing from 62 to 50 even though I was pushing the accelerator pedal.
On 4 Mar 2016, all of a sudden I was unable to accelerate beyond 46 mph. Even when I was pushing the accelerator (rpm was increasing), the speed was reducing.

I would like to know why all warning messages pop up all of a sudden in the Driver Information Interface while I was driving the vehicle? Also why the vehicle is failing to accelerate even when the rpm of the vehicle is increasing.

Not sure if anyone else is also facing similar problems with their new vehicle.

Could you please help me understand the root cause of these problems?

I had the same problem on 7 day old car and honda replaced VTC oil control. Check the thread I created at http://www.civicx.com/threads/ex-t-emission-brake-vsa-eps-problem.2716/

resolaru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
After getting the software update done last evening drove in city and highway as well. Car does smooth. Also jerkiness is far less than before what I was experiencing and about fuel economy not sure yet.... One thing I did after getting the patch done. I did a battery cable reset myself in the parking lot of dealer before taking the car for a spin. It feels like a different car.
My issue is resolved!

I, too had the same problem described. My 2016 Honda Civic only had around 1000 miles on it and I noticed that it felt like someone was letting up on the gas and then accelerating very slightly. This seemed to be most noticeable between 45-55 mph. I would set the cruise control to this speed and watch the tachometer fluctuate up/down a few thousand rpm. It was noticeable, but I wasn't sure if this was just the way CVT transmissions worked. So, I searched the net and came across this great thread. After reading the thread, I scheduled an appointment with my dealer. I insisted they refer to service bulletin 16-028 and apply the fix. They were reluctant and said that because it wasn't a recall, that it was an optional update. They weren't certain it would fix the issue and they were unaware of it. Thankfully, they listened to me and applied the update. (BTW, from what I understand, the battery reset is a temporary fix). The 16-028 service bulletin fixed my issue! Like someone else posted, my car drives like a whole new car! I can't believe how much better and smoother it drives.

So, if anyone is having this issue, contact your dealer and INSIST that they apply the 16-028 update.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
May I ask which dealer did the update? Was it a TSB? Not all dealers in the GTA seem to be aware of it.

Last edited:

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
May I ask which dealer did the update? Was it a TSB? Not all dealers in the GTA seem to be aware of it.
I can chip in,, any dealer has the means to do it, I believe that a lot of "normal" drivers will never even notice the surging, mine was very faint and only did it a few times. You have to complain to get them to do the update and it took me 2 trips to the dealer to get it done because they're machine wouldn't do the update the first time.

Also, I feel more connected to the car now and can really feel the torque converter kicking in when I get on and off the gas which is a good feeling to me compared to say a Dodge Caliber CVT that feels like a giant rubber band and makes you feel totally disconnected from the car.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I can chip in,, any dealer has the means to do it, I believe that a lot of "normal" drivers will never even notice the surging, mine was very faint and only did it a few times. You have to complain to get them to do the update and it took me 2 trips to the dealer to get it done because they're machine wouldn't do the update the first time.

Also, I feel more connected to the car now and can really feel the torque converter kicking in when I get on and off the gas which is a good feeling to me compared to say a Dodge Caliber CVT that feels like a giant rubber band and makes you feel totally disconnected from the car.
Thanks for the info. But not all dealers seem to be created equal. Verbal complaints about surging are being met by blank stares, followed by 'nope, no servic bulletin on that', followed by 'technician could not replicate the issue'.

Was there a TSB number associated with your software update? Or an update number? Or a version number? Anything I can use to 'help' the dealer?

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the info. But not all dealers seem to be created equal. Verbal complaints about surging are being met by blank stares, followed by 'nope, no servic bulletin on that', followed by 'technician could not replicate the issue'.

Was there a TSB number associated with your software update? Or an update number? Or a version number? Anything I can use to 'help' the dealer?
You need to be annoying. Also ask to drive with a tech. I drove with someone and made sure he saw the rpm go up and down. If the tech can't make it happen then ask to switch seats and you drive. If you give them the tsb number and they can't find it tell them that they need to update there software. I personally had to go back 2 times for the issue because the first time the update didn't go threw. And before that I argued with the service manger and Honda corporate because they said there was no tsb. But once the update went threw on my car the surging issue is gone. If your dealer won't do it find another.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
You need to be annoying. Also ask to drive with a tech. I drove with someone and made sure he saw the rpm go up and down. If the tech can't make it happen then ask to switch seats and you drive. If you give them the tsb number and they can't find it tell them that they need to update there software. I personally had to go back 2 times for the issue because the first time the update didn't go threw. And before that I argued with the service manger and Honda corporate because they said there was no tsb. But once the update went threw on my car the surging issue is gone. If your dealer won't do it find another.
Which is why I was asking @Ash2016 for the name of the dealer that did the update for them. If there is a dealer in the area that is familiar with the fix, then my path of least resistance is to go there. TSB 016-28 is not out in Canada, and I don't really want to (or have the time to) keep going back over and over again to prove my case.

The TSB will eventually make it to Canada, and I'm happy enough waiting for it, as my surging has all but disappeared. But if there is a dealer that is ahead of the game, that can do the update hassle-free, then I'll pursue that.

Last edited: